Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina AT-X 60-120mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Do you know whether there was a dedicated hood for this lens?

There is one, and as Kimble suggested, it is a plastic clip-on design, whose four "claws" fit in that groove outside near the front edge of the lens barrel (and, when mounted, is really quite secure, although likely not as secure as a screw-in metal hood).

I am not certain, but the "official" one might be the SH-551 hood, which happens to be identical (except for markings) to the AT-X 90/2.6 Macro dedicated hood:

I said "might be" because, while I know for certain that the SH-551 hood and the AT-X 90/2.5 hood both fit the 60-120/2.8 just fine, I can't say for sure that the length is exactly right. I do know that these hoods will ~not~ vignette at 60mm FL when mounted on the 60-120/2.8 when it is mounted on an APS-C body, but I can't remember from "Ye olde Film Days of Yore" if they would vignette at 60mm when the lens was mounted on a full-frame 35mm body (?)

I cannot find an exact specified hood model in the Tokina literature I have -- for example, a leaflet I have for this lens specifies "Clip-on Type" for the lens hood, wthout specifying which particular clip-on hood is the dedicated one.

So, while I believe that the SH-551 is the correct hood, I can't say so for certain.

Last edited by fwcetus on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:39 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fred. When I saw the pictures of the Tokina hood it reminded me of the clip-on hood on my Minolta MD 4/70-210 and, low and behold, it's a perfect fit. Of course, I don't know if it's the correct length but it looks very similar. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
I am not certain, but the "official" one might be the SH-551 hood, which happens to be identical (except for markings) to the AT-X 90/2.6 Macro dedicated hood: [pix] I said "might be" because, while I know for certain that the SH-551 hood and the AT-X 90/2.5 hood both fit the 60-120/2.8 just fine, I can't say for sure that the length is exactly right. I do know that these hoods will ~not~ vignette at 60mm FL when mounted on the 60-120/2.8 when it is mounted on an APS-C body, but I can't remember from "Ye olde Film Days of Yore" if they would vignette at 60mm when the lens was mounted on a full-frame 35mm body (?). I cannot find an exact specified hood model in the Tokina literature I have -- for example, a leaflet I have for this lens specifies "Clip-on Type" for the lens hood, wthout specifying which particular clip-on hood is the dedicated one. So, while I believe that the SH-551 is the correct hood, I can't say so for certain.

I should have also mentioned that part of my uncertainty over the hood is because I have had, for some time, three Tokina lenses that all have 55mm filter threads and also those clip-on hood grooves near the front end of each lens that fit the hoods I pictured - the AT-X 60-120/2.8, the AT-X 90/2.5 Macro, and the RMC 100-300/5.6. Now obviously the AT-X 90/2.5 hood is the dedicated hood for the AT-X 90/2.5 Macro lens, but I cannot remember which of the other two lenses (the 60-120/2.8 or the 100-300/5.6) originally came with the SH-551 hood, and is therefore, presumably, the lens that the hood is "dedicated" for. Confused

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Thanks Fred. When I saw the pictures of the Tokina hood it reminded me of the clip-on hood on my Minolta MD 4/70-210 and, low and behold, it's a perfect fit. Of course, I don't know if it's the correct length but it looks very similar. Smile

Great! I hope it will work well for you. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Do you know whether there was a dedicated hood for this lens?
fwcetus wrote:
There is one, and as Kimble suggested, it is a plastic clip-on design, whose four "claws" fit in that groove outside near the front edge of the lens barrel (and, when mounted, is really quite secure, although likely not as secure as a screw-in metal hood).
I am not certain, but the "official" one might be the SH-551 hood, which happens to be identical (except for markings) to the AT-X 90/2.6 Macro dedicated hood:

OOPS !!! I was incorrect, as it turns out. For the Tokina AT-X 60-120/2.8, the correct dedicated hood turns out to be the SH-553, which is slightly shorter than the SH-551, but otherwise seems to be the same as the SH-551:

However, as I also did say previously, "I do know that [the SH-551 and AT-X 90/2.5 hoods will ~not~ vignette at 60mm FL when mounted on the 60-120/2.8 when it is mounted on an APS-C body". For full frame, I am assuming that the SH-533 should ideally be used.

Embarassed