Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina AT-X 60-120mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Do you know whether there was a dedicated hood for this lens?

There is one, and as Kimble suggested, it is a plastic clip-on design, whose four "claws" fit in that groove outside near the front edge of the lens barrel (and, when mounted, is really quite secure, although likely not as secure as a screw-in metal hood).

I am not certain, but the "official" one might be the SH-551 hood, which happens to be identical (except for markings) to the AT-X 90/2.6 Macro dedicated hood:

I said "might be" because, while I know for certain that the SH-551 hood and the AT-X 90/2.5 hood both fit the 60-120/2.8 just fine, I can't say for sure that the length is exactly right. I do know that these hoods will ~not~ vignette at 60mm FL when mounted on the 60-120/2.8 when it is mounted on an APS-C body, but I can't remember from "Ye olde Film Days of Yore" if they would vignette at 60mm when the lens was mounted on a full-frame 35mm body (?)

I cannot find an exact specified hood model in the Tokina literature I have -- for example, a leaflet I have for this lens specifies "Clip-on Type" for the lens hood, wthout specifying which particular clip-on hood is the dedicated one.

So, while I believe that the SH-551 is the correct hood, I can't say so for certain.

Last edited by fwcetus on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:39 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fred. When I saw the pictures of the Tokina hood it reminded me of the clip-on hood on my Minolta MD 4/70-210 and, low and behold, it's a perfect fit. Of course, I don't know if it's the correct length but it looks very similar. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
I am not certain, but the "official" one might be the SH-551 hood, which happens to be identical (except for markings) to the AT-X 90/2.6 Macro dedicated hood: [pix] I said "might be" because, while I know for certain that the SH-551 hood and the AT-X 90/2.5 hood both fit the 60-120/2.8 just fine, I can't say for sure that the length is exactly right. I do know that these hoods will ~not~ vignette at 60mm FL when mounted on the 60-120/2.8 when it is mounted on an APS-C body, but I can't remember from "Ye olde Film Days of Yore" if they would vignette at 60mm when the lens was mounted on a full-frame 35mm body (?). I cannot find an exact specified hood model in the Tokina literature I have -- for example, a leaflet I have for this lens specifies "Clip-on Type" for the lens hood, wthout specifying which particular clip-on hood is the dedicated one. So, while I believe that the SH-551 is the correct hood, I can't say so for certain.

I should have also mentioned that part of my uncertainty over the hood is because I have had, for some time, three Tokina lenses that all have 55mm filter threads and also those clip-on hood grooves near the front end of each lens that fit the hoods I pictured - the AT-X 60-120/2.8, the AT-X 90/2.5 Macro, and the RMC 100-300/5.6. Now obviously the AT-X 90/2.5 hood is the dedicated hood for the AT-X 90/2.5 Macro lens, but I cannot remember which of the other two lenses (the 60-120/2.8 or the 100-300/5.6) originally came with the SH-551 hood, and is therefore, presumably, the lens that the hood is "dedicated" for. Confused

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Thanks Fred. When I saw the pictures of the Tokina hood it reminded me of the clip-on hood on my Minolta MD 4/70-210 and, low and behold, it's a perfect fit. Of course, I don't know if it's the correct length but it looks very similar. Smile

Great! I hope it will work well for you. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Do you know whether there was a dedicated hood for this lens?
fwcetus wrote:
There is one, and as Kimble suggested, it is a plastic clip-on design, whose four "claws" fit in that groove outside near the front edge of the lens barrel (and, when mounted, is really quite secure, although likely not as secure as a screw-in metal hood).
I am not certain, but the "official" one might be the SH-551 hood, which happens to be identical (except for markings) to the AT-X 90/2.6 Macro dedicated hood:

OOPS !!! I was incorrect, as it turns out. For the Tokina AT-X 60-120/2.8, the correct dedicated hood turns out to be the SH-553, which is slightly shorter than the SH-551, but otherwise seems to be the same as the SH-551:

However, as I also did say previously, "I do know that [the SH-551 and AT-X 90/2.5 hoods will ~not~ vignette at 60mm FL when mounted on the 60-120/2.8 when it is mounted on an APS-C body". For full frame, I am assuming that the SH-533 should ideally be used.

Embarassed