Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina 5.6/300 Nikon mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Tokina 5.6/300 Nikon mount Reply with quote

I couldn't resist buying this lens for 25$ incl. transport. Having checked the reviews in this forum I knew that this is not a top performer, but I still thought that an average 300 could be better than cropping a good 200 to the same size.
I think it's still reasonable value for the money. Check for yourself. Sorry it had to be birds again, but they are a rather natural choice for telephoto.

Take off

Note the reflected rainbow in the water.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely work Sven ! In particular you caught "the moment" in the takeoff run, this is a tough thing to do with a long MF lens.

With all respect to the connoisseurs in this group, for most practical purposes with a long lens like this the quality differences between lenses are mostly just splitting hairs. There are some plain bad ones, but there are many very good ones that are difficult or even impossible to distinguish in real-life shooting (like yours).

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely samples! Looks a great lens as almost any Tokina made one.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Swans taking off is a majestic sight in my opinion. A bit like an aircraft on the runway.
I had good help from the sunny weather so I didn't have to use a tripod for any of these shots (didn't bring one anyway).

A good lens in my view is one that for most of the time allows me to take photos I like.
Rather often this coincides with the opinion of the experts, but maybe sometimes the differences between lenses are so subtle that they don't show in everyday photography as you pointed out.

Last edited by Sven on Wed May 27, 2009 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Lovely samples! Looks a great lens as almost any Tokina made one.

Thanks Attila.
I was happy to find one with a Nikon mount. Nikkors at 300 mm and more start to become a bit expensive, and I suspect that the use of a 300 will be a bit limited in the long run.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depend from your shooting habit I think 300mm has same place than any wide have it. For me essential lens , because I like to make pictures from animals. Based on your published images I think essential for you too Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Depend from your shooting habit I think 300mm has same place than any wide have it. For me essential lens , because I like to make pictures from animals. Based on your published images I think essential for you too Wink

You're probably right. I have become increasingly interested in wild life photo of the casual kind (no stalking for hours or getting up extremely early in the morning).
At the moment I think my limit is when the lenses get so big that I have to haul around a tripod.
Otherwise I would probably do fine for most of my shooting with a 35 and an 85 (Flek and Nikkor preferably).

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And not a sign of CA in the antenna shot !! Better than my old 300mm supertak Shocked great images !

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tokina 5.6/300 Nikon mount Reply with quote

Sven wrote:
I couldn't resist buying this lens for 25$ incl. transport.

An excellent price!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
No, CA doesn't seem to be an issue, maybe a pixel wide fringe can be spotted on the high-res at the edges of the picture, but I'm not even sure that is CA.
Regarding the price I guess that keeping a daily check on Ebay, sometimes pays off. Now and again a lens gets forgotten (never seem to happen on a Nikkor or Zeiss though). This one only had bidders for the last minute.