Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Steinheil Quinon f2.8 152mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: The Steinheil Quinon f2.8 152mm Reply with quote

Found this lens on a local fleamarket and had to buy it right away, as I never heard about it, not even mentioned in the large STEINHEIL book...

So it seems to be a medium or even large format lens made 19961, but that f2.8 really amazed me...especially at 152mm focal length!

Here now just a few quik 'n dirty test shots, as my free time currently is rather limited...all at f2.8

Full set is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157711929174417

As is seems to rather work very well close-up even wide open, maybe it was from some industrial (recording) device...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small

+1 for Industrial lens.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a find indeed!
Your collection of rarities must be one of the wonders of the world.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Great find! There are still odd lenses out and about. If you pay attention Wink.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice-nice lens

"the leaf on the grass" is great in my opinion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Klaus. Really must find some of these 'flea markets'.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Btw. It has a rear Rollei SL66 bajonet which the previous owner had attached to it
and he told me that he used it to produce marketig shots of products (nuts, bolts,..)
And he was amazed how sharp it was, even on a MF 6x6 camera.

Made it easy to mount it using a short SL66 extension tube plus my standard M65
helicoid system.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find, Klaus!

Perhaps it was originally a cine lens, like this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1345529-REG/cooke_ckepc_152_152mm_panchro_i_classic_lens.html

P.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Nice find, Klaus!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1345529-REG/cooke_ckepc_152_152mm_panchro_i_classic_lens.html

P.

Thanks, but naa, no cine lens. It is housed in a LF barrel with mounting flange, no focusing, just a variable aperture....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, the 152mm focal length was a pretty popular choice for a normal lens on 4x5in or 9x12cm film cameras. The diagonal of 4x5in is close to 162mm and exactly 150mm for 9x12cm. Most lens manufacturers had 152mm lenses in their catalogs.

Enjoy!

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Oh well, the 152mm focal length was a pretty popular choice for a normal lens on 4x5in or 9x12cm film cameras. The diagonal of 4x5in is close to 162mm and exactly 150mm for 9x12cm. Most lens manufacturers had 152mm lenses in their catalogs.

Enjoy!

Paul

Yep Paul, indeed, I was wondering too about that just too well known 152mm format, for a GERMAN lens... 150mm it would have normally been labelled.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
pdccameras wrote:
Nice find, Klaus!

P.

Thanks, but naa, no cine lens. It is housed in a LF barrel with mounting flange, no focusing, just a variable aperture....

Steinheil Quinons are either Sonnar or Planar designs if I am not mistaken. Any idea what the optical design is?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
kds315* wrote:
pdccameras wrote:
Nice find, Klaus!

P.

Steinheil Quinons are either Sonnar or Planar designs if I am not mistaken. Any idea what the optical design is?

The Quinon to my knowledge and according to the STEINHEIL BOOK is a DOUBLE GAUSS 6e/4g design:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:
kds315* wrote:
pdccameras wrote:
Nice find, Klaus!

P.

The Quinon to my knowledge and according to the STEINHEIL BOOK is a DOUBLE GAUSS 6e/4g design:

Alright, Double Gauss as the generic name instead of Planar. I more or less expected that given the LF barrel + its speed + a more modern exterior.

There is an LTM mount Steinheil Quinon 50mm 2.0 with a Sonnar design. Probably also for the longer register distance M39 Paxette mount. Bertele worked at Steinheil between 1943 and 1945 but I guess not on Sonnar designs then.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was made 1961 btw.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Mine was made 1961 btw.

Older than I expected. The f= already abandoned on the beauty ring. Still about 7 years newer than the Quinon 50mm 2.0 based on some serial numbers of the last.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it also transmits UV quite well, here in comparison to my UV-Nikkor 105mm (scaled to even out focal lengths)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. Now that the weather is improving any chance you could find the time to shoot some of your lovely flower shots with this? The lighting on the previous set was rather flat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic. I see mention of a "Steinheil book". That sounds like an interesting read. Where would I be able to find this book?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
Interesting topic. I see mention of a "Steinheil book". That sounds like an interesting read. Where would I be able to find this book?

Regards, C.

https://www.lindemanns.de/shop/fotobuchhandlung/98k053s-carl-august-von-steinheil--helmut-franz--eduard-reutinger-steinheil--muenchner-optik-mit-tradition-1828--1939-.php?sid=5eb2f31f269fa&iproj=limainst&iquell===Google==&ruck=/shop/fotobuchhandlung/fotobuch-antiquariat-neueingaenge--bildbaende.php