Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The quality of 200mm macro, and their prices?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: The quality of 200mm macro, and their prices? Reply with quote

I have long time asked myself about this question.

A Pentax 200mm f4 macro 1:1 A-series lens has reputation to be very good, but also costs ~2000usd.
This lens also hard to find. Not that I need one, but I would like to learn more about the quality of tele macro lenses.

I have nikkor micro ais 200mm f4, which is the only single piece 200mm macro. This lens is also 'very good' in my term of quality.

The other macro lenses I have tried are
- Pentax 100/4 macro - Takumar, K-series, M-series
- Tamron AD2 90/2.5 macro
- Yashica 100/3.5 macro CY
- Kiron 105/2.8 macro CY
- Zeiss Contax 100/2.8 macro CY
- Sigma 105/2.5 macro AF
- Nikkor 105/2.8 AFG

2x, 1.4x: mutar, tamron, OM, nikon

Kiron 105/2.8 + mutar also gives 210mm (MF on A7r or 5dm2)
or Nikkor 105/2.8 AFG + 2x AF (AF on D800)

So how does Pentax A* 200mm f4 macro 1:1 compare with these combinations?
Can you point me to sample images and what to look for in case of image quality?

I also play with reverse lens, tube, bellow, stacking lens.
Also Contax and Minolta has tilt/shift bellow.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use mirror-less, you can also consider Canon FDn 200mm f/4 1:1 Macro. I've got excellent experience with it.

Some sample images in this thread http://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=6339

You should be able to find it for around $350.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
I might have too many macro lenses and less time to play with them.
I am not into a new lens, just asked if someone here can show / compare the images.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you searched the forum? You might have better luck searching Flickr.
There are also a few 180mm macros too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried the Pentax 200/4, but the Nikon AF 200/4 ED is one of the best macro lenses I've ever owned. Maybe even the BEST Smile consider this one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I see that none of you mention Herr Contax S-Planar 100/4, the king of macro lenses. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Hmm, I see that none of you mention Herr Contax S-Planar 100/4, the king of macro lenses. Cool

No one mentions it (indeed a very 100mm macro lens) because the OP isn't asking about 100mm macro lenses. In the title he's asking about 200mm macro lenses in general and in the post he's just asking about just the Pentax one.

The only 200mm macro I've got at the moment is the Canon FD one, a good lens I like better than the Nikon 200/4 AiS macro I used to have. If anyone is looking for macro lenses with long working distances than Tamron and Sigma have a number of good 180mms, with at least the old Sigma 2.8 and 5.6 versions being available in manual focus versions. Or use a 180 or 210mm enlarging lens on a long bellows.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have tried search for the images on the forum and the net. In general, there are many photos of the lens itself (pentax 200/4 ED macro), but not much about the images taken by it, and even less info what is a different if someone had tried more than one.

No, I have not tried CZ s-planar 100/4, but I have tried CZ macro-planar 60/2.8, and the contax auto bellow TS. Also tried yashica ML 100/4 bellow. They are all very good and match with contax auto bellow TS.

Thanks for mentioning the enlarging lens option. I will try it soon.

The sigma 180 AF macro is newer, and cheaper than the pentax A 200/4 macro. For the moment, I see people claims that the pentax is 'best' in their opinion, but no facts/proof provided. Perhaps there are less amount produced, and its owners are just collectors...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Yes, I have tried search for the images on the forum and the net. In general, there are many photos of the lens itself (pentax 200/4 ED macro), but not much about the images taken by it, and even less info what is a different if someone had tried more than one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kaherdin/sets/72157629362495881/