Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The most beautiful lens you have........
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Hey Martyn, I have one of those FL 55/1.2's. Yours is in nicer shape than mine. Mine actually takes surprisingly good pics, but it is limited as to what I can do with it unconverted. I see you have it mounted to an FD-EOS converter. I have one also and when I remove the corrective element, I can use it with the 55 to take macro photos, and that's where I was able to judge it's resolution -- which was much better than I thought. Previously I'd used it on one of my Canon FD bodies with some grainy ISO 400 film, so it really didn't get a fair trial, but the result was, I had a rather low opinion of the lens -- until I tried its macro abilities with the converter.

I keep meaning to convert this. Its my fastest lens. But when I do, I'll lose that satin aluminium FD mount Sad Damn, it's a nice looking lens Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand your dilemma, especially since the lens is so pretty. Maybe you should see if you could find another in "user" condition to convert? Cool Mine's probably an 8 or 8.5 on a 0-10 scale. But even so, I don't want to convert it because I use it with my Canon FD cameras.

I'm holding out hope that Canon will someday offer a full-frame mirrorless digicam that I can buy a converter for to use my FD and FL collection on it. Looks like I'll probably be waiting a long time, though. So I'll probably end up buying into a NEX system one of these days.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
Hey Martyn, I have one of those FL 55/1.2's. Yours is in nicer shape than mine. Mine actually takes surprisingly good pics, but it is limited as to what I can do with it unconverted. I see you have it mounted to an FD-EOS converter. I have one also and when I remove the corrective element, I can use it with the 55 to take macro photos, and that's where I was able to judge it's resolution -- which was much better than I thought. Previously I'd used it on one of my Canon FD bodies with some grainy ISO 400 film, so it really didn't get a fair trial, but the result was, I had a rather low opinion of the lens -- until I tried its macro abilities with the converter.

I keep meaning to convert this. Its my fastest lens. But when I do, I'll lose that satin aluminium FD mount Sad Damn, it's a nice looking lens Smile

Ask Stan, (Trifox) he did make many excellent job in FD conversion and he can make fully reversible one, you can restore genuine stage any time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

Hi Martyn - the lens in my avatar is FL 55 f1.2 converted fully reversible...

There is no harm to the lens - only infinity needs to adjusted - that's all
This conversion was my zen exercise Smile

I must admit that the FL 55 f1.2 L is one of the most beautiful lenses I have ever seen.

tf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compact dinosaur lens
full slide show:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smiling_buddha/sets/72157626864399899/show/

just bought this one, photo credit to Avi

also grabbed:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1019593

am about to enter the nightmare world of kilfitt lens adapters with the big one.

arrgh!

but they are pretty aren't they?

the kilfitt most craved:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Heinz-Kilfitt-Macro-Kilar-90mm-f-2-8-Leica-M-EXC-/270758068401?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3f0a7040b1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most beautiful lens:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The box says:

quarts lens for ultra violet light

Asahi Optical Industry Co. Ltd.

made at October of 1962

Last edited by koji on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please show us what's inside the box please koji!

Japanese traditional script like that always looks so pretty to western eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Please show us what's inside the box please koji!

Japanese traditional script like that always looks so pretty to western eyes.

This box is not mine, Klaus'. Check the page 2 of this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Not the cutest lens I own, nor does it (in its current unconverted state) take very good pictures, but every time I look at this one I think "that looks nice" Smile

My Canon FL 55/1.2

another nice one (loaner):

Kilfitt worship:

LA times photo
Exakta Varex VX with a Kilfitt Fern-Kilar f/5.6 400mm

this lens nearly won an oscar for best supporting actor in "Rear Window"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

Compact dinosaur lens

Figures uhoh would bring a Kilfitt to the party. Cool

Quote:

the kilfitt most craved:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Heinz-Kilfitt-Macro-Kilar-90mm-f-2-8-Leica-M-EXC-/270758068401?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3f0a7040b1

BTW, I thought for sure this was a link that would take us to the 90/2.8 Kilfitt I owned way back in my dealer days. It had the most unusual reflex housing (aka Visoflex) that I've ever seen. I just did a google search, and was able to come up with only one image, and it's tiny, but at least it shows the shape. My lens wasn't the brushed chrome look, though, it was a dark anodized color.

Bizzarre, but very Kilfittish, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitchcock looks so bored/annoyed to be in that picture. He's obviously thinking 'humbug, silly publicity bunkum, I should be on the golf course...'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think so? I thought he was looking at Grace Kelly, wondering how she'd look wearing only those pearls. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hitchcock looks so bored/annoyed to be in that picture. He's obviously thinking 'humbug, silly publicity bunkum, I should be on the golf course...'

hehe,

lot of symbolism in that shot. Grace Kelly YOW!, huge phalllic tele, and powerful lecherous film director staring with sardonic intensity at one or the other or both .........:O

but mine's bigger Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera nut that I am, I think I also would have ignored that feast of vintage cameras to look only at Grace Kelly.

BTW, on the table are three standard Speed Graphics, one at least with Kalart rangefinder and a very non-standard lens in Compound shutter. Also what looks like what may be a rare "Ringside" Graphic.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, Grace Kelly. I watched 'To Catch a Thief' the other week, hard not to love Grace Kelly. Few have compared to her level, Cameron Diaz comes to mind in the modern age and possibly Salma Hayek.

But this is about the most beautiful lenses, not the most beautiful women, I digress...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I was about to "ring the bell" and call for oder although I can very well understand the "drift" - how about a thread "attractive women and photographic gear"?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
My most beautiful lens:

koji - I know which one is that ! Smile

I fully agree that's your most beautiful lens Smile!!!

tf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo' beauties...

Most left one, only one was ever made, middle one only two lenses.

Last edited by kds315* on Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this thread! So many beauties!!!!

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real beauty also..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
A real beauty also..

Stop that, already green from envy!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exceptional Klaus!

You must have friends in high places Rolling Eyes

Michiel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just many years of passionate "lens hunting" Wink Wink

And a last one if I may, really a Zeiss masterpiece designed by Prof. Glazel himself and often used in his teachings ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me show some Zeiss-East gems, as counter-parts to Klaus beautiful lenses.
3 Tessar variations:

2 Biometar variations:

All in Exakta mount.

Klaus