Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Leica / Minolta Collaboration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: The Leica / Minolta Collaboration Reply with quote

While browsing some old Amateur Photographer magazines from 2011 I came across this article on the Leica / Minolta SLR and lens collaboration which, if you are a Minolta lens and camera fan like me, makes interesting reading.
I may have posted this before on the forum some years ago but it doesn't do any harm to show it again.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good read. I had known about the Leica/Minolta agreement since the early 80s, but had never read an article on the subject. So this was a nice bit of information for me.

Thanks, Edgar.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is 75-200/4.5 which almost looks like this pipe, only fantasy branded (danubia or whatever) and for AF.

And yes it makes near perfect images.

Did the optical formula maybe wander a bit farther?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun read !

TFS

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read indeed!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had known about this for a long time, and I knew it was part of my enamor with Minolta, but never have I seen an official article like this.
Thank you so much for sharing. Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Minolta - Leitz mount switching Reply with quote

There was even the very long and expensive Leitz lens that was given a Minolta mount on special order, but it seems that it is not well known whether many of those were actually sold .

Even stranger, the 800 Minolta catadioptric given an R mount; listed as "available through the Minolta sales organization" (General Catelogue july 1977, page 33).

p.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting. Interesting reading.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from 'The Leica Lens Book" by Brian Bower.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these! Interesting. Also worth reading

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/camera-usage/minolta-rokkor-lenses-faq

What is not clear to me is whether Minolta benefitted/got something from Leica ref lenses or whether this was a one way cooperation.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
Thanks for these! Interesting. Also worth reading

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/camera-usage/minolta-rokkor-lenses-faq

What is not clear to me is whether Minolta benefitted/got something from Leica ref lenses or whether this was a one way cooperation.

Copal Leitz Shutter, Minolta CL/CLE, and I believe engineering advice on the 'concentric' shutters for their SRT, whatever that means. Supposedly 6/5 Summicron-R 50/2 too. Someone to confirm? Anything else?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:
Anything else?

The black finish on the XD/XD7/XD11 and the CLE was licensed from Leitz:
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Minolta_XD_series#Finishes

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!
So the 50mm f2 from Minolta would be the 50mm f2 R from Leica?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
Looks good!

I think that this is only a rumor. There is no proof whatsoever.

Nevertheless, especially the MD III version from Minolta is an excellent lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
Looks good!

I tried the Summicron-R 2/50. Good lens, but to my eyes, nothing special, certainly not better than other good 50s and not as good as some of the better ones. The Minolta 1.7/50 is a small fraction of the price and at least as good, with a similar rendering.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Antoine wrote:
Looks good!

I think that this is only a rumor. There is no proof whatsoever.

Nevertheless, especially the MD III version from Minolta is an excellent lens.

The tested performance of an MC-X/MD-I I suppose is merely coincidental. In any case, the design was outdated for Leica at that point.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/50mm_f/2_Summicron-R_I

https://www.talkemount.com/threads/50mm-1-2-shootout-minolta-vs-leica-almost-an-upset.7607/

Naturally, the optical blocks are very similar but there are differences. The Leitz first introduced in 1964 and discontinued in 1976 while the first Minolta was introduced in 1973, with a clearly inferior performance. I think if Minolta had the answer straight from Leica, it would have been just as good as their M-Rokkors were! It wasn't until 1981 when they would improve the lens again.

Still, not bad for a 'budget' lens, and at least the contrast/coatings are a bit better. Wink