Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Great Cheapo Lens Challenge - 1 (Optomax 2.8/28)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is confirmed to be with Farside now. Looking forward to your shots. I hope the weather improves a little. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have posted some of my shots now.
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1202037.html#1202037

I just need some help to decide before posting them here.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my photos from the challenge (a bit late but at least I'm still here to post them!) Rolling Eyes
A few words of explanation - I remember the day I took these shots with my youngest son that I wasn't feeling too well. Not too many days later I suffered a heart attack and was hospitalised until the end of last week. I'm now home and feeling stronger every day. I must apologise for the delay in sending the lens on to Simon and keeping everyone waiting. Embarassed
Anyway, here are my efforts, all taken on the same day and at the same location.
The camera used was a Canon EOS10D.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set Edgar Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you are still around,is all ok now? No need to apologise either... Smile
They look alright what is that brick tower?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I am glad you are still around,is all ok now? No need to apologise either... Smile
They look alright what is that brick tower?

I'm fine Mo, just glad to be home again. Very Happy

Scrabo Tower is one of Northern Ireland’s best known landmarks, built in 1857 as a memorial to the 3rd Marquis of Londonderry. Overlooking Strangford Lough and the whole of North Down, the Tower provides visitors with some of the finest views in the country.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for apologies or feeling bad Edgar, I'm just happy you're OK and back with us again. Please thank your wife once again for sending the lens while you were still in hospital.

Well, what are your feelings about this lens? From what I've seen from everyone so far I think it's living up to its billing pretty well! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set. Glad you are ok now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrabo Tower makes a nice subject to photo.This lens seems to perform very well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Edgar
Nice to see you back here enjoying photography again. Your shots look very fine indeed!! Film like to my eyes and great compositions.

Castles seem to feature a bit here in our green country! Smile

#4 to 6 get my top votes!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, decision made. Here are my entries:

1) A Building

2) Close-up Click on pic for full size

3) Landscape

4) Portrait Click on pic for full size

5) Street Click on pic for full size

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM The landscape has my vote for the best of the bunch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your landscape is a good shot by any measure. High marks for such a good capture with a cheapo lens!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots all! This lens appears to be best for landscapes stopped down a little (no great surprise I guess!). Loving the night shots!

Edgar, you have no need to apologise at all, we're all just glad you are still here! Let alone sharing photos Laughing

All the best for a speedy recovery Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Folks for the kind words. When I get the chance, I must put in the camera + lens settings. most were at f2.8-4 for handheld shots, and at f8-11 for distant shots with the lens set to hyperfocal distance.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter, any update with this lens?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:

Farside still has it as far as I know.

Simon, I've changed three of your pictures above to URLs because they were too large. The size asked for was max 900 wide, but 1024 is acceptable. Your white borders pushed these over that limit. Can you either resize and repost them please or use the Upload button and let the forum software do it for you. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE NOTE - THE CHALLENGE IS NOW CANCELLED

I'm grateful to the members who passed the lenses on to the next person quickly, but very sadly not everyone has co-operated and the delays are too long. I wanted all this to be snappy (pun not intended) so it could be completed before I go on extended vacation to Australia, but at this rate it will take over two years before everyone has tried all the lenses.

There are two members currently holding lenses and both have had them for over a month. One of them answered my PM a week ago but still hasn't sent the lens on as requested. The other has disappeared altogether - my PM of 23 Jan is still in my Outbox, he hasn't responded to a letter 2 weeks ago and a phone call was unsuccessful. I'm very disappointed they don't share my wish to avoid keeping people waiting. I didn't expect to have to keep chasing people and I'm not willing to continue.

If, like me, you are still waiting to try the lenses I'm very sorry to disappoint you.

Special thanks to David for the help and support he gave me trying to get in touch with Michael, and to anyone else who has helped. I will send PMs to each of the current lensholders giving instructions where to return them to their owners but I can't guarantee you'll ever see them again.

Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
stingOM wrote:

Farside still has it as far as I know.

Simon, I've changed three of your pictures above to URLs because they were too large. The size asked for was max 900 wide, but 1024 is acceptable. Your white borders pushed these over that limit. Can you either resize and repost them please or use the Upload button and let the forum software do it for you. Thanks.

No problem Peter, you're the boss!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE NOTE - THE CHALLENGE IS NOW ACTIVE AGAIN Razz Razz

Last edited by peterqd on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots Edgar, you've coaxed some beautiful bokeh out of that lens in the fence shot. Hope you are back in good health soon!

StingOM, I like the composition of that landscape shot very much and the colours of the mossy railing against the trees.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's d-day and the sun is out. I have the Optomax in my grubby mitts. Do I put it on a 35mm camera and show the true horrors of its [probable] soft corners? Do I use the SV, the SP, the ME Super? Colour? Black & white? Or give it a fighting chance and go digital? Will I overcome the stage frights and show my images? Some simple tasks become so complex! Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my Optomax efforts. All taken during a one hour bike ride on the way back from visiting a friend this afternoon. I'd like to have spent longer and made significantly more effort Embarassed All taken with a Samsung GX10. Post-processing was required on all shots to increase the contrast. None are cropped.

1. Building (1/13s @ f16 ISO100)
Pushing the boundaries of what constitutes a building, but it was built recently. I used to have to cross both lanes of the A11 on my bike, which was scary! Hence I like this bridge alot!

2. Close-up (1/2500s @ f2.8 ISO400)
The back-end of one of the bikes

3. Landscape (1/80s @ f16 ISO 400)
A view of the A11 passed Attleborough, as seen from the bridge embankment

4. Portrait (1/2000s @ f2.8 ISO100)
I'm a bit devoid of humans here, but dogs are plentiful so you got one of those

5. Street or Lane (1/100s @ f16 ISO400)
One end of West Carr Road, after being dissected by the A11 last year

Notes:
I found the lens really low contrast and the focussing ring too small, but enjoyed the challenge. My photography tends to be more documentary than artistic, as can plainly be seen here. I should probably work on that before the next lens arrives.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lens looks like it's just a ton better than the Travenar. Your IQ and colors were neither too shabby.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the lens today. Will shoot on Monday and Wednesday, and then get it off to the next person on the list.