Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The best compact 35mm cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: The best compact 35mm cameras Reply with quote

Hi folks

I've developed an obsession with 35mm compacts and have collected a few:

Konica MT-9 (AF, 3.5/35)
Konica A4 (AF, 3.5/35)
Konica MG (AF, 3.5/35)
Konica C35 (RF, 2.8/3Cool
Konica Big Mini Zoom (AF, 35-70)
Ricoh FF-9 (AF, 3.5/35)
Olympus Stylus (AF, 3.5/35)

I'm interested in collecting more but only want really good ones or unusual ones (with a different lens to the ubquitous 3.5/35s) so would like to hear what people like.

There's some obvious ones like the Nikon L35AF, I read the 2.8/35 is superb and a Sonnar type. Then there the Oly XA (I had an XA3 and liked it a lot but the XA with RF is the one I would want now.

The more expensive ones like Ricoh GRi, Konica Hexar and Nikon 28Ti and 35Ti of course interest me but are outside my budget.

I'm also interested in older compact RF camers, I love my Konica C35, had a very nice Yashica ME but sold it because the lens was crap.

I'm looking for something with a wider lens than 35mm too, I dearly want a Konica Off-Road with 28mm lens but those are hard to find.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Olympus XA2, just ran one film through it - very average results but I think that was an unknown out of date film and poor light seals. I've done the seals so it needs a decent film. The XA is the best of the series apparently.
Then there's my Samsung Vega 140s, found in a bag of stuff from the charity shop, this is autofocus with a Varioplan 38-140 Macro lens.
Apparently it was 'Camera of the Year' a fewof years ago and it has a decent reputation. As yet I haven't tried it, it needs a battery and I keep forgetting.

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/item/samsung-vega-140s-1728

I've also got a nice Rank Aldis, aka Mamiya 4B, and again I haven't tried that, or the Unicca compact rangefinder that is also a GAF Memo 35EE, Fex-Indo Foto-Quelle, Porst 135L , Prinz, Konica C35, Mamiya 135 EE , Fujica GER, Minolta Hi-Matic F Konica Auto S3. I haven't used this but I have put new light seals in it and it's ready to go. It's similar to my Minolta HiMatic F, which is a great little gem, but I haven't used it for maybe 10 years. Too many cameras, not enough time. .. Laughing

http://mattsclassiccameras.com/gaf_memo35.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're lucky David, to be able to find loads of them in local shops, I don't have that opportunity.

I think the Himatic F and Auto S3 are the same camera pretty much, made y Cosine, there's two more - Revue 400 and Vivitar 35ES.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belong to the lucky guys, finding interesting little cameras in thrift stores and markets for very little money. In the beginning period of AF compact there are made loads with nice 35mm lenses with 3.5 or 2.8 aperture. Not much to set by hand, pity, but great if you can live with the programs. I prefer the ones on AA battery power; some of the lithium batteries are expensive. From earlier days, with rangefinder, I like compact cameras from Ricoh (500G/GX).
Nice IMO yashica T3 (T4 is expensive), Canon AF35ML (40mm 1.9)
Wider lenses? PS Olympus XA4 (28mm), AF Yashica Minitec (32mm).
If you don't like automatic ISO settings you can think about correcting the setting, see http://www.imageaircraft.com.au/DXsim/; you can buy labels, like http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/products/741/firstcall-dx-recoder-labels-iso-50

Last edited by Minolfan on Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Minolfan, I am definitely interested in wider lenses than 35mm, which is a good length, but I do want something wider to use too.

I'd like a Lomo LC-Wide as it has a 17mm lens, but they are charging a ridiculous 349ukp for it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not find a lot in fixed wider lenses
Canon Prima Mini - 32mm 3.5
Samsung Fino 30SE - 28mm 4.5 (toy with only 1/125 and 100 or 400 ISO)

Wider lenses can be found on wide zooms
Nikon Lite touch Zoom 70WS (28 -70mm)
Canon Prima Super 90wide (28 - 70mm)
But the lenses are slow and the zoomcameras focus slow too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the only cameras with ultrawides are all pretty much toys, there is the Vivitar Ultra Wide n Slim that has a fixed focus 22mm, with fixed aperture. I will grab one if I see one very cheap, not something worth paying much for.

I'm not a fan of zoom lenses and I suspect the zooms in these old pns cams are not very good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want really wide Laughing
Most famous :Vivitar toy camera http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Vivitar_Ultra_Wide_%26_Slim, but the price has cult level;
must be sold under other brand names too.
Otherwise I don't know an alternative for the crazy priced Lomo Sad
Mine accepted price level is between € 1.50 and € 10, nothing matching Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, you are too fast for me in the morning!
I agree, the zoomlenses have barrel distortion on the short side, not top notch at all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the Samsung Finos, there's the 20SE that has a fixed focus 5.6/28 and the 30SE that has an AF 4.5/28. They look okay, big viewfinder, the lens is 3 elements in 3 groups, so I suspect IQ is not brilliant but might be okay.

You can still buy the 30SE new for 20ukp:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SAMSUNG-FINO-30SE-35M-FILM-CAMERA-LARGE-VIEWFINDER-28MM-LENS-AUTOFOCUS-3JY12-/390456637215?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item5ae907771f#ht_3001wt_906

Maybe I'll find something like a Ricoh GR1 with 28mm cheap sometime...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samsung Fino 30SE was € 1.50 for me. Smile

Quote:
Maybe I'll find something like a Ricoh GR1 with 28mm cheap sometime...

Would be nice! I wish good hunting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on budget - I'm not looking to spend much, 10ukp seems a reasonable maximum.

I'm going to go to the nearest town and trawl the charity shops today, but doubt I'll find much.

But I'm taking my Konica A4 and Konica MG along with me for some shooting Smile

BTW, should you come across more copies of some interesting compacts like the Vivitar UWnS, Fino 30SE etc, I'd love to have them, living in a remote part of the world makes camera hunting hard Sad

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus made one of the XA family with a 28mm lens - never common but very small indeed and - from memory - top quality.

I have an XA2, which is regarded as the "less good" member of the family, and it is actually capable of splendid results. The problem is that it has an idiotic scale focusing system which isn't sufficiently precise for using wider apertures, especially at distances under about 10 feet/3 meters. When you manage to get the subect distance to coincide with the stupid focusing scale, the results are great.

Several years ago I bought various AF compacts when the bottom fell out of the market as the big switch to digital began. Many of them suffer from the same problem as the XA2 - except that the zone focusing is automated, of course. Best one I had - by a long way - was the Fujica DL with a 28 to 50 zoom. The AF mechanism had lots of focus points and worked accurately, and the lens was particularly good at the wide end. And somewhere in the house I've still got the newer version which had (I think) a 24 to 50mm zoom lens.

I'll look it out when i get home this evening.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Stephen, I agree about the XA2 (I can't remember if I had an XA2 or an XA3) as I recall getting lots of out of focus shots with mine, but it was great f you were shooting at infinity.

The XA4 has a 28mm lens, they are expensive on ebay Sad

That Fuji sounds very interesting, would love to hear more about it.

Minolfan, don't suppose you have any sample images from your Fino 30SE?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
BTW, should you come across more copies of some interesting compacts like the Vivitar UWnS, Fino 30SE etc, I'd love to have them, living in a remote part of the world makes camera hunting hard

If I have such lucky find, I will sent you a PM. Sending to UK isn't too expensive.
But it is stupid luck; I don't know all these models and I have to guess if a camera is more then just the outside. Seldom a manual with it, often an exhausted battery. Often take a set of AA and AAA with me, but that doesn'help for all those things with Lithium poower.
You cannot see if the shutter has multiple shuttertimes, or just one like the Samsung Fino.
Sometimes the difference between stuck or toy and usefull camera becomes clear when I am at home again. Funny adventures.

On the other hand, when I see the landscape you are walking through, and I look around me when I am walking the dog .. Shocked
..... I really would like to swap to that "remote part of the world"!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Holland for a while, liked it a lot, but I do have to admit, this part of the world has great opportunities for landscape photography.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all kind of Konica compact with fixed lens
Konica C35, Konica A4, Konica Big-mini etc
Canon QL series
and their clones Revue, Vivitar

but nothing come to close Werra models with interchangable lenses and coupled RF.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian - have a look at http://pansfilmcameras.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/fujifilm-dl-super-mini.html - I completely forgot about this one ! I picked up one very cheaply and used it with good results, then saw how they were fetching silly prices on eBay and sold it for a profit. It was VERY good. Now the memories are flooding back . . . senility must be getting hold of me Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Stephen, would love one of those Fujis, doubt I'll find one at a good price though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone try the old fuji mini of the 60's? 18 x 24 format.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some earlier thread to reread: http://forum.mflenses.com/smallest-pocket-camera-with-28mm-t46877.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Did anyone try the old fuji mini of the 60's? 18 x 24 format.

Rino.

Was that the tiny black one? Really, really tiny . . . Another one I'd forgotten about Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second Stephen's recommend on the Fuji, I have the DL Super Mini-Zoom:

Haven't shot it much, a few pix:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots Bill, I'll keep my eye out for one of those.

I just bought an Olympus Trip AF50 with a 28mm lens, was only 2ukp, looking forward to trying it out. It's a pretty basic camera, has a fixed f5.6 aperture and a single shutter speed so relies on the latitude of the film for exposure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious to see what you get with it, Ian. What's the shutter speed, 1/50sec?