Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The 58mm CZJ Biotar in Northern India
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: The 58mm CZJ Biotar in Northern India Reply with quote

My two first outings with the Carl Zeiss Jena 58mm f2 Biotar and Sony A7ii. The Biotar has lovely bokeh, especially involving foliage, and when shot wide open. The first image is of a mountain woman who kindly allowed me to photograph her. As you probably know, the images look much better when clicked.

-Charles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: The 58mm CZJ Biotar in Northern India Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: The 58mm CZJ Biotar in Northern India Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
charley5 wrote:
As you probably know, the images look much better when clicked.

Maybe since the preview image render is required to change color space from your source of Adobe RGB with likely a larger gamut palette?

Is there anything I can do about that or is it built-in to this interface?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice portraits. I like the tone a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely renderings Like 1 .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Very nice portraits. I like the tone a lot.

Thanks a bunch. I tried to get a vintage look to them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Lovely renderings Like 1 .

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good work, I llke better this rendering than that of more exotic lenses you have experienced in the past

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
very good work, I llke better this rendering than that of more exotic lenses you have experienced in the past

Thanks, I do too. I am going for vintage-dreamy and this lens seems to give me that. I am thinking of getting the 75mm Biotar as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calmly expressive faces, great job!

Aside of denoising, did you change a bit the out-of-camera palette and muted the colours? I am curious because Biotar's younger brother Helios usually gives a more pronounced colour difference. As long as natural light conditions play a key role, I am curious if this is Indian sun or you responsible for the colours.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Calmly expressive faces, great job!

Aside of denoising, did you change a bit the out-of-camera palette and muted the colours? I am curious because Biotar's younger brother Helios usually gives a more pronounced colour difference. As long as natural light conditions play a key role, I am curious if this is Indian sun or you responsible for the colours.

Thanks, Alex. I appreciate it. If you click on the images they will be closer in terms of color palette to the originals. So I am not sure because if you did not, the colors are decidedly more muted than the originals.

The light was indeed special. The sun was setting just below a hill. I hope I can replicate these conditions again. This lens does great with foliage, producing slightly swirly bokeh, although less dramatic than the 75mm Biotar. I also have the equivalent Helios and am looking forward to comparing the two results.

-Charles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, chance and fortuity are great factors in photography, including the final RGB look.

charley5 wrote:
I also have the equivalent Helios and am looking forward to comparing the two results.

Really curious to see the results crossed. Looking forward!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man with the hat made for a very nice pic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
The man with the hat made for a very nice pic.

Thanks. He was actually a character, and I hoped the image would do him justice. That is why he looks like he is popping out of the corner of the image.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful images. Thank you for posting.

I hope you will not mind me posting your images again. I enhanced contrast in two of my favourite images of yours. Also added vignette to put accent on their faces. Hope you like them. With some postprocessing you may get stunning images.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indigo82 wrote:
Beautiful images. Thank you for posting.

I hope you will not mind me posting your images again. I enhanced contrast in two of my favourite images of yours. Also added vignette to put accent on their faces. Hope you like them. With some postprocessing you may get stunning images.

These are lovely, but too contrasty for my taste. On the other hand, you have opened my eyes to the fact that I can bump up the contrast significantly in my photos, and I have done that, and liked what I saw. How do you introduce vignetting? I never tried that on PS, which is the software I use.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charley5 wrote:
How do you introduce vignetting? I never tried that on PS, which is the software I use.

Thanks again!

Filter---> lens correction ---> manual ---> vignetting

some differences on different PS versions

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
charley5 wrote:
How do you introduce vignetting? I never tried that on PS, which is the software I use.

Thanks again!

Filter---> lens correction ---> manual ---> vignetting

some differences on different PS versions

Thanks. That's very helpful!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

Thanks!!