Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

that little ball that always gets away !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: that little ball that always gets away ! Reply with quote

Hi,

I know from experience that if u repair a lens u will most of the time lose a screw or spring, something Razz
most of the times it will be that little dam aperture ball

Now this might be usable info for some of you.

I found a bag ( you can normally buy this at some store) of candle ornament filling that is made of tiny copper balls ( also exists in iron).
( all kind of sizes).

Not expensive and u will have tiny balls for life Razz

( what are these called in English?)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***what are these called in English****

erm well I would call them "ball bearings" but there might be a better technical name.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call them fun to spill on the floor.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can create a nice joke by sprinkling them over a cake or ice cream .. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those are called "shot" (kind of a photo pun, eh Smile), as in 'shotgun', the projectiles in shotgun shells. Used to be lead shot too, but discontinue because lead pollute environment. There are iron and hard copper (coated?) 'shot' used in shotgun shells depending on target, pattern, distance, etc.. (Amazing how much photography terms and firearm terms same words used!) These also come in different sizes. From solid slug to '00 buckshot' to 'bird pellets' such as these.

I wonder are these hard enough for use as ball bearings? Caveat if they start shedding into lens mechanics! Maybe somebody with more firearms experience can comment.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that these copper balls are sold primarily for cleaning flower vases. You put a quantity in the vase with some water ans swirl them about to get the gunk and stain left by the flowers off the glass. The copper being softer doesn't damage the glass but the rolling action works and cleans the vase. My wife has some and uses them a lot.

If those are the same then the copper will be softer than a hardened steel ball bearing, and the size might be bigger, which could be critical when the lens components are tightened together.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find!! Also check out HERE