Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing Yashica ML 50/1.9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Testing Yashica ML 50/1.9 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Got this one along yashica ML 28/2.8. This thing is super small, a cute lens if there is a such thing Smile.

I like it a lot so far, very good performer especially for its size and simplicity.

All shots wide open, Exported from Raw to jpeg, no sharpening, no PP, just some exp compensation where was needed.

There is more if anyones interested Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: nice shots Reply with quote

is this the one made of plastic? i have one but have not yet gotten an adapter yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: nice shots Reply with quote

jun wrote:
is this the one made of plastic? i have one but have not yet gotten an adapter yet.

What?

Yashica's ML series lenses are not plastic, all metal construction except
lens focusing rubber ring. It is true even for DSB 50/1.9, which is a predecessor
of newer ML 50/1.9.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice warm images!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: nice shots Reply with quote

koji wrote:
jun wrote:

What?

lens focusing rubber ring. It is true even for DSB 50/1.9, which is a predecessor
of newer ML 50/1.9.

Well, the latest ML 50/1.9c (note the small "c") is actually made entirely of plastic. Down to the plastic mount. The "c" version does not even look similar to other Yashica ML lenses, and is rumored to be made by Cosina. The coatings are different, filters are 49mm instead of 52mm, and internal construction is totally different from the non-"c" versions.

Here are the pictures of it: http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21011085602758

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter so much if it is plastic as long as the optics are good. Today, given manufacturing, everything is plastic. That is why I am glad that hundreds of years went into making metal encased lenses, instead of the cheap crap of today which at best will last a year with pro use.

Even camera bodies, all plastic. Spill something like gasoline or acetone on it or get it near a heat source or worst case drop it, and poof, the entire investment is thrown away. Chinese manufacturing or simply the cost of trying to stay alive in business? I would pay for metal encased lenses anyday over cheap modern lenses with "fancy" motors. All designed to go poof (bad) in zero seconds flat!

Nice lens. I have one. Same kind of results. I like the dog pic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: nice shots Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
koji wrote:
jun wrote:

What?

of newer ML 50/1.9.

Well, the latest ML 50/1.9c (note the small "c") is actually made entirely of plastic. Down to the plastic mount. The "c" version does not even look similar to other Yashica ML lenses, and is rumored to be made by Cosina. The coatings are different, filters are 49mm instead of 52mm, and internal construction is totally different from the non-"c" versions.

Here are the pictures of it: http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21011085602758

Oh, yeah. I forgot about "c" versions which were made by Cosina, so I heard.
I do not count "c" versions as ML series. Hehehe