Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing my lenses - part 91 - Jupiter 9 85/2 m39
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: testing my lenses - part 91 - Jupiter 9 85/2 m39 Reply with quote

it's not rangefinder version

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So damn sharp! That second picture is razor sharp!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely results i have the same m39 slr in chrome one of my top lenses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a yellow tint to my J-9. Yours looks as if it may too have a yellow bias, yes?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sharp. I have a silver m39 SLR too, mine is very soft wide open, sharpens up by 2.8, and is very sharp by f4. Might I know what aperture your shots were taken with (if you remember, I often forget with MF lenses)?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirrith wrote:
...mine is very soft wide open, sharpens up by 2.8...

Any yellow?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine doesn't have a yellow tint - 1963 made by LZOS for Contax/Kiev. Slightly soft at f2, and a little glow, but at 2.8 it's sharp, I mostly shoot mine at f4-f8.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Sirrith wrote:
...mine is very soft wide open, sharpens up by 2.8...

Any yellow?

Very slight if at all, though I haven't had the chance to use it very much and haven't really paid attention to that. Its from 1965.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I have a yellow tint to my J-9. Yours looks as if it may too have a yellow bias, yes?

I've got 2 J-9, one RF m39 1955 and one in M42 - both have a yellow tint.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they ever use radioactive glass?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in the I-61L/D (Lanthanum) but not in these early Sonnars I think.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite having a blue coating, my 1961 RF model (PT7540) has a destinct yellowing, so seems most logical that it has the radioactive glass as there is no other answer I can think of. You might think the blue coating would counter the yellowing, but apparently not. I do not have a big problem with the yellowing, just trying to understand it. After correcting color in PP, it still has a warm look which I like very much. This picture has the color appearance of having been taken late in the day when actually the sun was high in the sky.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have hijacked this thread. Sorry WolverineX. Everyone else, when responding to my comments, please go here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-9-85-2-rf-t51958.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my copy of the lens has no yellow tint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I think I have hijacked this thread. Sorry WolverineX. Everyone else, when responding to my comments, please go here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-9-85-2-rf-t51958.html

no problem, it's all about this lens anyway Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new samples made with E-M5

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
new samples made with E-M5

Great shots, perfectly focused. What aperture did you use in these?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i shot these on a cloudy day so i kept aperture wide open most of the time

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great pictures, the lens really shines on your photos.
I'm hunting for Jupiter 9 for some time now, but not only me as I see therefore prices are high.

Thanks for reminding how this lens could perform, I must spend some more time at work as I see Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good performance from that J9, but I've also been noticing that your M5 seems to provide very nice images.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
your M5 seems to provide very nice images.

that it sure does Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering your last photos, did you use any PP, or are they simple JPG's from body? Maybe some tweaking with settings in the camera?
Just asking as photos are wonderfully sharp and colourful.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
Considering your last photos, did you use any PP, or are they simple JPG's from body? Maybe some tweaking with settings in the camera?
Just asking as photos are wonderfully sharp and colourful.

the last one in the set was made using built in Pop art filter, others are regular shots no art filter
in pp i corrected black point in levels, and unsharp mask with setting i always use on all my photos so they are all equally sharpened

for that shooting i used art filter bracketing and had 12 versions of the same photo right in the camera, ended up with over 1000 shots that way

here you can see selection from the shooting, but first photos (31) are made with industar 61 l/d 52mm/2.8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/domagoj-b/sets/72157633521149703/show/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="woodrim"]Despite having a blue coating, my 1961 RF model (PT7540) has a destinct yellowing, so seems most logical that it has the radioactive glass as there is no other answer I can think of. You might think the blue coating would counter the yellowing, but apparently not.

Jupiter-9 do not have radioactive glass, non of the versions in entire history. Early versions are using exactly the same type if glass than Carl Zeiss - you can recognise them by gas bubbles in the glass, as it was pain to manufacture it without them. Later glass types were changed to easier ones, and surfaces radiuses were recalculated for this glass, and apparently not well enough - low sharpness at f2. Yellow tint is due to blue chemical coating on the early versions, it adsorbs blue spectrum, also I had noticed during repairs that some, also have yellowish Canada Balsam on both triplets - it is 4 in total CB cemented surfaces in the lens, it's more than enough to make yellow tint too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Toxa"]
woodrim wrote:
Despite having a blue coating, my 1961 RF model (PT7540) has a destinct yellowing, so seems most logical that it has the radioactive glass as there is no other answer I can think of. You might think the blue coating would counter the yellowing, but apparently not.

Jupiter-9 do not have radioactive glass, non of the versions in entire history. Early versions are using exactly the same type if glass than Carl Zeiss - you can recognise them by gas bubbles in the glass, as it was pain to manufacture it without them. Later glass types were changed to easier ones, and surfaces radiuses were recalculated for this glass, and apparently not well enough - low sharpness at f2. Yellow tint is due to blue chemical coating on the early versions, it adsorbs blue spectrum, also I had noticed during repairs that some, also have yellowish Canada Balsam on both triplets - it is 4 in total CB cemented surfaces in the lens, it's more than enough to make yellow tint too.

That is a very interesting explanation and very plausible too. Thank you.