Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing my lenses - part 75 - Minolta MD Rokkor 135mm/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: testing my lenses - part 75 - Minolta MD Rokkor 135mm/3.5 Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woww ... what a Rokkor rendering Smile
Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

yeah, i also like this lens

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are my sunglasses??!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Where are my sunglasses??!

?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very contrasty and sharp - nearly too much for my eyes!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Very contrasty and sharp - nearly too much for my eyes!

Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

+1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive lens, any chance of a picture of the lens ? I'd like to see if it's the same as the one I've got.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the MD X version, or the last one made that was just marked MD.
I've tried to buy this lens a few times because I knew it's performance and keep getting distracted by other auctions.
I actually bought this lens on the Bay once in a BIN, and it was refunded because he said he didn't have it anymore. Evil or Very Mad
The last MD version is te one I'm after.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Very impressive lens, any chance of a picture of the lens ? I'd like to see if it's the same as the one I've got.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine looks the same but it's a 2.8, whether that makes it a better lens I don't know, but if it's nearly as good as yours I'll be happy.
The only problem is the back element is fungused so it's got to come apart.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new samples using E-M5

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very good rendering.

My 2,8 has a similar rendering. Nice lens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice again.
I have the 2.8 version and a beautiful old 2.8 one from the sixties that I did not test yet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought this lens partially because of this thread.

There is something I was wondering about. Nearly all your photos, regardless of gear and glass, are very crisp and have a lot of pop. I wonder if, in addition to your obvious skills as a photographer, if you have a signature PP style? How much sharpening do you use for example?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:

There is something I was wondering about. Nearly all your photos, regardless of gear and glass, are very crisp and have a lot of pop. I wonder if, in addition to your obvious skills as a photographer, if you have a signature PP style? How much sharpening do you use for example?

Thanks!

i use gimphoto program and unsharp mask settings of radius 5,0 amount 0,5 threshold 0 (always same setting). other than that, i correct black point and white point in input levels
correcting black point is the one thing that most often gives a pop to the photo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

Outstanding images!

From the diamond shape mark on the lens, this version is the MD-I model.
It's their 4 elements in 4 groups design. I have a copy under their Celtic label. It's one of my favorite 135s as it's razor sharp.
The f/2.8 version of the MD-I is also excellent, and highly sought after.

For the poster seeking the last MD version, also known as the MD-III, that design was different being a 5/5 formula. It's the same as the Rokkor MD-II formula, but dropped the Rokkor label, and the body revised.
Note that Rokkor and Rokkor-X are the same, the -X was added by North American marketing.

Edit: Oops, just realized this is a resurrected thread.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking about the 2,8/135 Md rokkor 4/4 versión, is good. But it lacks contrast in very lighted images because the coated and suffers a normal to high CA. Burned highlights.
The only problem is the coated. Anyway gives the character to the Rokkors.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:

Thanks!

i use gimphoto program and unsharp mask settings of radius 5,0 amount 0,5 threshold 0 (always same setting). other than that, i correct black point and white point in input levels
correcting black point is the one thing that most often gives a pop to the photo

Well, it certainly works!
Thanks for the explanation!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing this thread I made a search around and just received an offer. The attached images show it's the very same version. I think I'll take it Rolling Eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
For the poster seeking the last MD version, also known as the MD-III, that design was different being a 5/5 formula. It's the same as the Rokkor MD-II formula, but dropped the Rokkor label, and the body revised.

The 5/5 version appears to be even better:

135/3.5 (4/4, 420g):

135/3.5 (5/5, 265g/285g):

135/2.8 (4/4, 535g):

135/2.8 (5/5, 365g/385g):

(source: artaphot.ch)

It's ~1.5cm shorter and a lot lighter (265g/285g vs 420g) too, the focus ring isn't as smooth as on the MC-X & MD-I version though.
Overall, the 4-lens f/2.8 probably has the edge among Minolta's 135s but the 5-lens f/3.5 seems to be the best compact option.
If f/3.5 isn't fast enough, the MD100/2.5 (MD-III: 310g) may be a compact alternative.

I had the 4-lens 135/2.8 but I didn't like the weight. I'm much happier with the MD-II 85/2 and the MD-II/III 135/3.5.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main thing those test show is that all the Minolta MD 135s are very good lenses. You'd have to really pixel peep to notice a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oly camera?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Oly camera?

are you asking me or Boris_Akunin?
if it's me, then it's Oly E-M5