Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing my lenses part 138 - Konica Hexanon 70-230mm/4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: testing my lenses part 138 - Konica Hexanon 70-230mm/4.5 Reply with quote

preset lens. samples taken with Olympus E-M5







at 230mm

at 70mm


PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: testing my lenses part 138 - Konica Hexanon 70-230mm/4.5 Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

Your photos show well what a wonderful lens this is, and what outstanding IQ it produces for a zoom made only in 1966-67. The bokeh on the first photo is sublime.
It is also very rare. I've only ever seen 4 or 5 in 10 years of looking at online auction sites. Congratulations on getting one. Question: Does your exemplar have a 6-digit or a 7-digit SN?


PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sn 681844


PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You show this lens to its best advantage, lovely images!

I really appreciate this series you've been contributing. It is very valuable information as well as showing your photographic skills.


PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the performance is like on full frame? I had a similar vintage 75-260 Yashinon and it looked really good on APS-C. Then I tried it on my a850 and the corner performance was horrible, clear field curvature meant the corners were never sharp short of stopping down to f11.

That was often the compromise made with early zooms - good central performance at the expense of the edges. Of course, a M4/3 camera hides the edges.


PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
sn 681844

How interesting... I have two of those:
One has a 7-digit SN like other Hexanons (5681110);
The other a 6-digit SN, like yours (681865).
At first I thought mine was a fluke, but yours is the third I hear of with a 6-dgit SN. In my database there is another 6-digit one with a SN of 682115, so it would seem that quite a few were made.


PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked stunning series!


PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, results this lens gave me are good, although when focusing, sharpness could be better to make it easier to focus more precise. one limiting thing is minimum focus of 2,5m all through the focal range that forced me to stick to 230mm and even then i had to take steps back to get subject in focus when i was making these samples. at 70mm i'm more used to smaller distances to the subject.
also sharpness stays the same through all apertures, unlike some lenses that get sharper when stopped down.

my copy of the lens has a touch of fungus, luckily for m43 user like me, it is located to the edge of glass so no influence on the picture


PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning images, really! Like said before, over here in NL Konica zooms are quite rare as well. Never seen this one for sale.


PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Stunning images, really! Like said before, over here in NL Konica zooms are quite rare as well. Never seen this one for sale.

I bought mine in 2010 on Marktplaats and always assumed you were the seller.
Well, there goes that idea... Smile


PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
TrueLoveOne wrote:
Stunning images, really! Like said before, over here in NL Konica zooms are quite rare as well. Never seen this one for sale.

I bought mine in 2010 on Marktplaats and always assumed you were the seller.
Well, there goes that idea... Smile


LOL!! Nope... if i had it i would not sell it! I must have missed that one then!


PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely images!
The Bokeh is outstanding! You make me look for such a Hexanon zoom for myself, but so far there is non for sale on ebay.


PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I wonder what the performance is like on full frame? I had a similar vintage 75-260 Yashinon and it looked really good on APS-C. Then I tried it on my a850 and the corner performance was horrible, clear field curvature meant the corners were never sharp short of stopping down to f11.

That was often the compromise made with early zooms - good central performance at the expense of the edges. Of course, a M4/3 camera hides the edges.


are you refering to 75-230 260 is a typo?) it is very good on m43 but even on apsc lack of corner sharpness troubles me Sad certainly it is far more better than soligor and others but the weight and size is also causing difficulty on small cameras