Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing my lenses - part 108 - Canon 50mm/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: testing my lenses - part 108 - Canon 50mm/1.8 Reply with quote

samples made with Canon FD 50mm/1.8 on E-M5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a superb prime lens - still very cheap and perfect

what I still hate about the canon is their FD mount - that was the total design disaster

tf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:

what I still hate about the canon is their FD mount - that was the total design disaster

tf

I agree. A very under rated lens.

I disagree. Canon FD was the most flexible and accurate mechanical coupling of lens to camera body for exposure control. The rotating breech lock was extremely robust and secure. On the other hand, it was not forgiving of clumsy/ignorant operators. Canon designed the completely compatible "New FD" lenses for them.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same one but only FDn version of it and can reconfirm TRIFOX that this is a superb lens, though I do prefer 50mm FDn f1.4 more...

Like to see how perform on Oly M5 FDn f1.4, do you have it too?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father had this lens on his AE1. Ahh... all the fond memories....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:

tf

+1. I feel exactly the same.

Although now EF-M is out, maybe FD mount will become more popular to the Canon shooters again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:
I have the same one but only FDn version of it and can reconfirm TRIFOX that this is a superb lens, though I do prefer 50mm FDn f1.4 more...

Like to see how perform on Oly M5 FDn f1.4, do you have it too?

i have 50mm/1.4 ssc version
http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-107-canon-50mm-1-4-s-s-c-t57387.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....and some members here think this lens is "crap". So if you own a Nex or film camera why buy say a Tessa 50mm f2.8 when you can buy this lens for just a few £££s more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one for about 30 years, since I had a Canon A1, I've also got the adapter for the NEX. But so far far I haven't used this lens on the NEX Question I don't know why. I went to look for it in the box, and found that I have two of them!
I shall test one today, as always WolverineX's great pictures shall inspire me. I think I'd just forgot how good this lens is and not bothered about it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I went to look for it in the box, and found that I have two of them!

I have a similar situation. I put a 50/1.8 SC and 50/1.8 New FD in a box and now have two SCs and five or six New FDs!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
I went to look for it in the box, and found that I have two of them!

I have a similar situation. I put a 50/1.8 SC and 50/1.8 New FD in a box and now have two SCs and five or six New FDs!

you shouldn't feed them after midnight Smile they multiply like gremlins Smile