Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing Minolta MD Zoom 28-85mm/3.5-4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Testing Minolta MD Zoom 28-85mm/3.5-4.5 Reply with quote

The Minolta MD Zoom 28-85mm/3.5-4.5 seems to be a little more difficult to find than most Minolta zooms. Probably not that many were produced as it was introduced quite late in the MF era and the people who have them aren't selling them (for a good reason). Still the prices aren't really that unreasonable. It's a good lens. Not quite as strong as the 35-70 but in return is more flexible in terms of focal length range. The pseudo macro function (1:4) is, interestingly, available at 28mm rather than 85mm.

The lens:

NEX6_0003_5261 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

It's an ok walkaround lens for days when there's enough light. A few samples from a short walk, taken with a Sony NEX-6 (16MP APS-C):

1. Around 50mm or so, wide open:
NEX6_0003_5453 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

2. "Macro" at 28mm, wide open:
NEX6_0003_5471 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

3. Around 70-85mm, wide open:
NEX6_0003_5475 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

4. "Macro" at 28mm, wide open:
NEX6_0003_5478 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

5. Around 28-35mm, stopped down a couple clicks:
NEX6_0003_5507 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

6. 28mm, wide open, handheld 1/40s, ISO800
NEX6_0003_5525 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

Full album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskQh5r7e

Last edited by miran on Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the AF version and on my a850 I think it's better than the 35-105 everyone praises so much.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice and very convincing examples, Miran. Thanks for sharing.

I've just checked and realized that I have the AF version as well. It's rather heavy with apprx. 500g, contrary to the crappy plastic zooms from Minolta of the latest area.

I have never ever used it till date. I think it came with one of my analog cameras instead of a body cap. Obviously it's worth a trial on my A850 as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this lens was Minolta fiddling with the excellent 35-70 just to get a bit more life out of it? It certainly has the same look about it, and it obviously performs very well.

Excellent pictures miran, the wide selection of images show how good it is, and you as the photographer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most used MD zoom, both on film and the A7!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I wonder if this lens was Minolta fiddling with the excellent 35-70 just to get a bit more life out of it?

I don't know, it's possible, they both look quite similar in some ways with a few notable differences. The macro function at the short end vs the long end and variable max aperture vs fixed max aperture are the most obvious ones apart from the range. But the zooming mechanism is similar, with both lenses being physically shortest at the long end and extending when zoomed out which would suggest they might be related.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
I wonder if this lens was Minolta fiddling with the excellent 35-70 just to get a bit more life out of it?

I don't know, it's possible, they both look quite similar in some ways with a few notable differences.

I don't think so. The 35-70 is a 8 elements / 7 groups design whereas the 28-85 is a 13 elements / 10 groups design which explains the massive difference in weight.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pictures Like 1 small

Will use it when cycling.

Just found one on the bay for 42.5/55€ and did not resist. I will refrain from blaming you though... Wink

Weight difference not so much 35-70mm 365 g, 28-85mm 470g. Expecting to receive it this week...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice, sir! Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Smile

Antoine wrote:
Will use it when cycling.

Those were my thoughts exactly, but it's a little on the big and heavy side for that purpose now that I have it in my hands. Probably better to take a smaller lighter prime, llike 35/2.8 for example.

Antoine wrote:
Just found one on the bay for 42.5/55€ and did not resist. I will refrain from blaming you though... Wink

Hehe. That's about an average price as far as I can tell. I've been monitoring ebay the last few months and these seem to have been sold for around 40-80 euros in auctions lately. A bit high in my mind but not outrageous. Problem is there aren't many being offered. The later AF version? As many as you want. But the MF version, not nearly as much.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it and you are right, it is a bit big and heavy for going cycling... taking it or the 24 mm (eq 36mm) still an option and the 300mm rf as a wiildlife lens.
Will be a travelling lens

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two images taken at f=28mm and f=85mm, respectively (24 MP FF sony A7II).
I have added 100% crops from the borders as well (wide open and stopped down).

28 mm first (overview taken at f11 => no distubing vignetting):

100% from the border at f3.5 (JPG out of A7II):

100% from the border at f11 (JPG out of A7II):

100% from the border at f11 (RAW conversion via Photoshop;, CAs corrected):

Strong and disturbing vignetting wide open (f3.5) at 28mm:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now at f=85mm:

100% crops from the borders - first wide open (f4.5):

Now f9:

Apart from slight vignetting wide open, there's no difference at all between the image taken wide open and stopped down by 2EV.

The Minolta MD 3.5-4.5/28-85mm was the last "real" MD lens introduced by Minolta. It isn't that common, but not expensive, and certainly a very good vintage 28-85mm (nearly as good as the Zeiss CY 28-85mm, and in some aspects such as weight and size even quite a bit better).

S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Now at f=85mm:

Apart from slight vignetting wide open, there's no difference at all between the image taken wide open and stopped down by 2EV.

The Minolta MD 3.5-4.5/28-85mm was the last "real" MD lens introduced by Minolta. It isn't that common, but not expensive, and certainly a very good vintage 28-85mm (nearly as good as the Zeiss CY 28-85mm, and in some aspects such as weight and size even quite a bit better).

S

Certainly, quite good performance at 85mm. Does it improve a lot going from 28mm to, say, 35mm? Since such a mid-range zoom is complicated to calculate and execute, and 35-XX was supposedly easier, maybe those few first mm show a drop in performance compared to the rest of the range?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zamo wrote:
stevemark wrote:
Now at f=85mm:

S

Certainly, quite good performance at 85mm. Does it improve a lot going from 28mm to, say, 35mm?

Yes, it does improve quite a bit at f=35mm. Not perfect yet, but much better (especially when it come to vignetting). Images will follow.

S