Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele Vivitar 85mm f/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Tele Vivitar 85mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

Don't know who made these tele vivitar's. This 85mm f/1.8 is not too bad. Wide open sharpness quite decent, slightly better than Soligor 85mm f/1.8.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small Please post more pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is from the classic era the serial number will give you the maker. Eg if it starts with 22 it's kino precision aka kiron, 37 is tokina. The full list is easily googled. Could we get a photo of the lens? Renders nicely, the photographer shows its capabilities well! Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely photos. Like 1 small

Sounds to me as if it might be an early preset lens. This series had the older five digit serial numbers. They are T-mount lenses.

And, yes, of course a photo of the lens would tell the tale.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the nice words!

The lens looks like the one in the following link.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-85mm-f-1-8-pre-set-t-mount.html

I haven't quite experienced the glowing effect mentioned in one of the review and feel the wide open sharpness is indeed pretty good. Pleasantly unexpected! Smile

I've only seen Tele Vivitar 85mm and 135mm. 28mm and 35mm might be called something else. These vivitars, since are preset lenses, so I am assuming they should be quite earlier.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolan wrote:

This is another one I just took. I probably should wait a little late and see if I can create the star effect with smaller aperture.

I think having a model in the picture would make it lively. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same lens, mine is very "glowy" and not that sharp, still i like the rendering and with the number of blades the aperture has it s great for pics at f2, f2.8 with oof bokeh highlights been still perfectly circular.

Tomas

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered if this lens was a copy of the Canon LTM 85/1.9, they have a similar balance about them.

Last edited by itsfozzy on Sun May 26, 2019 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-serial number system.
I had a couple of these at one time or another.
Fairly scarce.

I suspect the early Vivitar presets were mostly, if not all, from Kino/Kiron.
The ones that have transitioned from preset versions to auto such as the distinctive 28/2.5 are Kino.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

I suspect the early Vivitar presets were mostly, if not all, from Kino/Kiron.

Komine also was producing for Vivitar (ie : the 135mm 1.5)
The dof table styling is same as the 135mm 1.5 and these are (as the ir charts for zooms) a good indicator for origin (the 20mm 3.8 kino made has a different dof style)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The samples have a Komine feel to them. The lens on PF also looks like a Komine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 200 f3.5 that is from the same series - same style - as this lens which is branded as 'Dollonds'. I have seen on the internet the same lens as a Vivitar, and I have seen, and handled, the identical 200 / 3.5 branded as Tokina. ( I tried to buy it ) It's a very distinctive style and construction.
Whoever made these lenses, they did a good job. it's my favourite old 200 by far. And the pictures from the 85 are excellent, it's a great series of lenses which I will have no hesitation in buying.

This is the 200 / 3.5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolan wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stumbled upon a few old Tokina lenses under various brands and they've all impressed me with their quality.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Tele Vivitar 1:1.8 f=85mm Reply with quote

Bump.

A shot of my pal at f/1.8. Full image and then cropped:

That was a straight from Canon 5D JPEG, just resized for sharing.

I like the wide open softness and glow. But it sharpens up a lot at f/2.8, if that's what you want.
The 1.5m minimum focus distance is a bother, but otherwise it's a fun lens.

My lens:

Specs from a Vivitar brochure:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy is badged Marexar. There is glow to be seen, for instance with pictures of white flowers wide open, although it looks more like blur of any petals not in the plane of focus, as the ones in focus do not display the same behaviour.

55 wrote:
Bump.

On my copy 1.5m is the lowest marked distance, but it actually continues to rotate for some distance after that marking.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tele Vivitar 1:1.8 f=85mm Reply with quote

55 wrote:

I like the wide open softness and glow. But it sharpens up a lot at f/2.8, if that's what you want.

Specs from a Vivitar brochure:

Thanks for sharing your nice pal! That's pretty much what I see as well regarding the lens. I found if there is no backlight, the lens can be pretty contrasty and sharp on my A7ii. If there is any backlight, the focus can be tricky and the image becomes soft.

The scan copy of the brochure is precious to add more information to this lens.

Alun Thomas wrote:

My copy is badged Marexar. There is glow to be seen, for instance with pictures of white flowers wide open, although it looks more like blur of any petals not in the plane of focus, as the ones in focus do not display the same behaviour.

Good to know it is also under Marexar. A while ago, a Vivitar copy showed up in a camera bundle. I almost tried to get that one as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 200 f3,5 in the Marexar flavour... but the 85 looks gorgeous. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tele Vivitar 1:1.8 f=85mm Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:

Thanks for sharing your nice pal! That's pretty much what I see as well regarding the lens. I found if there is no backlight, the lens can be pretty contrasty and sharp on my A7ii. If there is any backlight, the focus can be tricky and the image becomes soft.

The scan copy of the brochure is precious to add more information to this lens.

You're welcome. I guess this is a scarce lens, but I'm glad you started this thread because more people should know about this 85.

Alun Thomas wrote:
. . .
On my copy 1.5m is the lowest marked distance, but it actually continues to rotate for some distance after that marking.

I'm grateful you spoke up, Alun! Although I must admit I now feel like a dunce.

In the years I've owned my Vivitar 85, I've always been irritated by its long minimum focus distance. Yet it never occurred to me to actually check for infinity focus and MFD. Duh Exclamation Embarassed

It turns out my lens was focusing beyond infinity. The MFD was 1.7m (66 inches) instead of the 1.4m (56 inches) indicated on the brochure page I shared earlier. No wonder the minimum focus seemed too long!

Luckily, infinity is easy to adjust on this lens:
1) Unscrew the T mount adapter.
2) Loosen three screws on the focus ring - the screws don't need to be removed.
3) Slide the focus ring down / off.
4) Loosen - but don't remove - three screws on the focus limiter collar.
5) Now the collar and inner focus ring can be rotated as needed.

The green arrow is on the limiter collar.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, nice thread and nice pictures. I like this lens a lot, but mine is in a really bad condition!

I stumbled upon this thread when i was looking for help repairing one of those.
I ll post the corresponding link http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1548889.html#1548889 here, and hope it will get a bit more visibility Smile
Maybe someone who owns one of those lenses can help how to reach the aperture box :/

best
shks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shks wrote:
Hi, nice thread and nice pictures. I like this lens a lot, but mine is in a really bad condition!

I stumbled upon this thread when i was looking for help repairing one of those.
I ll post the corresponding link http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1548889.html#1548889 here, and hope it will get a bit more visibility Smile
Maybe someone who owns one of those lenses can help how to reach the aperture box :/

best
shks

Thank you as well for your excellent thread on repairing this lens. People will definitely benefit from it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komine was mentioned a couple of times earlier. They made a lot of Vivitars and their S/N begins with 28. Here's a list of the makers of Vivitar lenses, based on their serial numbers:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vivitar_serial_numbers

Curiously enough, the lens with the 72 serial number shown above isn't in the above lsting. I searched through several links showing Vivitar S/Ns and did not find any that included 72 as a S/N prefix. So it seems we have a bit of a mystery on our hands?

I have several early Vivitars, although none as early as the presets shown above. Mine are made by either Tokina (S/N begins with 37) or Komine (28 ). The Tokina lenses I own -- a 17mm f/3.5, and a 35mm f/1.9 -- are exceptionally sharp. The Komine's -- both are 200mm f/3.5, one in Canon FD, the other in Nikon F, are just okay. They have some rather annoying blooming sorts of flare to them and just aren't all that sharp. But in defense of Komine, I also own some later Vivitars made by them (a couple of Series 1s) and they are excellent optics.