Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele Tokina 4.5/200mm Tokyo Koki
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Luis you have given me some ideas...I may not be able to do it myself but may have some people I could ask about how to go about getting it done.
@ visualopsins
As I like buying adapters and things that will be my short term solution looking at any lens that comes in the silver mount and see if I can come across a M42.

Life is full of little mysteries and so apparently do lenses Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mo, there is a Tokina-M42 mount! See it on Kathmandu's 2.8/35:

http://forum.mflenses.com/recent-vemar-lenses-purchase-t31065.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks it is good to know they are out there Very Happy Now the hard part to find one Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these lenses at home in M42. It's been taken to bits though and is in a bit of a state. If I can't fix it, and the mount is of the same type, I'll flog the mount to you for a small fee to cover what the lens cost me Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got a copy of the Tokyo Koki Tele-Tokina 4.5/200mm, albeit an older version than shown in the above postings. The lens is pretty well made, has perfectly round pre-set aperture, and is (for a "tele" construction) surprisingly long - about 16 cm! It has a M42 lens mount and came with an beautiful original "Canon Lens Mount Converter P" which allows me to use all my M42 lenses on Canon FL/FD series SLR bodies. MFD is 3.0 m / 10 ft, not exactly overwhelming.

A quick'n'dirty comparison with a Minolta MD 2.8/200mm gave surrisingly good results (landscape, 24 MP FF).

At f4.5, the lens has a sligtly reduced corner resolution, but at f8 its resolution (center and corner) is absolutely comparable to the MD-II 2.8/200mm. On top of that, the Tokyo Koki 4.5/200mm has much less CAs and in this respect is neraly as good as the Nikkor 2.8/180mm ED. Such low lateral CA / fringing is relatively commont with physically long vintage "tele" lenses, but nevertheless quite remarkable - especially since the lens has a good corner resolution as well.

Nice find, and I may do some flowers shortly (using an M42 bellows). I expect rather nice bokeh, but who knows ... maybe i'm wrong Wink

S

100% crops from the corner of 24 MP JPGs from an A7II. Left: Minolta MD-II 2.8/200mm at f8; righht: Tokyo Koki Tele-Tokina 4.5/200mm at f8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

100% crops from the corner of 24 MP JPGs from an A7II. Left: Minolta MD-II 2.8/200mm at f8; righht: Tokyo Koki Tele-Tokina 4.5/200mm at f8

Interesting comparison. Would it be fair to say that the design of the Minolta prioritizes aperture (f/2.8 ) and sharpness over CA? To be honest I am surprised at the amount of CA at f/8.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Interesting comparison. Would it be fair to say that the design of the Minolta prioritizes aperture (f/2.8 ) and sharpness over CA?

Yes. Faster lenses per se require smaller radii which in turn would increase the common monochromatic aberrations. To circumvent that, lens designers use glass with a higher refraction when improving the speed of a lens. Sadly, glass with a higher refraction tends to have larger dispersion (larger color aberrations).

connloyalist wrote:
To be honest I am surprised at the amount of CA at f/8.

Regards, C.

Nothing unusual for fast 200mm lenses of its time. They mostly were built without ED/AD/ULD glass (Dispersion v around 80), let alone fluorite (v=90). Simple LD glass (v=70) was used in the Minolta MD 2.8/200mm (as well as in the Canon FD / nFD / nFD IF and the late Nikkor 2.8/180mm). While that was sufficient for creating nice 4/200mm lenses (e. g. Minolta MC/MD 4/200mm "long" or Canon nFD 4/200mm IF), it simply wasn't sufficient for the 2.8/200mm lenses, especially when their size/length was reduced (the Minolta is a mere 13 cm long!).

Leitz was first to create a APO Telyt 3.4/180mm around 1973 (originally a design for the US Navy), followed by Nikon with their ED version of the 2.8/180mm (one lens with v=80). Correction was improved again by Minolta in 1988 with their excellent AF 2.8/200mm APO (now two lenses with v=82). Canon, otherwise well known for their use of fluorite and ULD glass, was late in the game.

S

EDIT: Konica when creating their Hexanon AR 4/200mm thought it was unnecessary to use LD glass (v=70). They went for a cheaper glass with v=60 for the main two positive lenses in the front triplet, and the result is pretty ugly when it comes to CAs. Some background information here: http://www.artaphot.ch/konica-ar/objektive/392-konica-hexanon-200mm-f4