Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recent Vemar lenses purchase.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Recent Vemar lenses purchase. Reply with quote

Vemar Tele-Auto 135mm f3.5 in M42:

This lens looks like its in great shape- no repair marks etc. The focus ring is smooth and the aperture works perfectly.No loose moving parts inside. I was surprised to find that it does not focus to infinity. Anybody have any ideas/suggestions why? Here are some images taken with this lens, mounted on a Sony A700:

All pictures shot wide open except the second one.

Vemar Wide Angle 35mm f2.8 in M42 :

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one good looking lens.Does the mount screw off??My reason for asking is this thread here
http://forum.mflenses.com/tele-tokina-4-5-200mm-tokyo-koki-t30995,start,15.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
That is one good looking lens.Does the mount screw off??My reason for asking is this thread here

Hi Mo,

I read your thread. I checked it and Yes it screws off--its just like yours-here are some images:

I read and like Luisalegria's suggestion.(I played with a T-mount to see what you were going through). Along the same line of thought like Luisalegria:Seems to me the best option here is to sand the inside of the T-Mount adapter, with its inner ring removed.You dont have much to sand off for the inner ring of the original lens mount to fit snugly.Plus you would not damage the original mount. Good luck, looks like a nice lens ,- I would be interested to see images made with the lens and your new camera.

Regards

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy That is good news ,thanks for taking the time to research it.Can I ask what sand paper you used?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent Vemar lenses purchase. Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:

This photo is very interesting and the bokeh is a bit curious, smooth but I notice something peculiar in it.

Excellent samples =)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Very Happy That is good news ,thanks for taking the time to research it.Can I ask what sand paper you used?

No sweat, although our thread now seemingly should be in the equipment & repairs sub-forum Very Happy now.

Mine did not need any modification-it is a M42 mount. If I were to sand it~I would probably use a dremel with the different sanding bits and see which worked best.
To answer your question -I would use medium coarse 80-100 grit,(and elbow grease ) to start with ,wrapped around a cup bottom ,pipe,lens cap or lid which would fit inside the mount. And finish off the imperfections with a fine grit sandpaper and just hand sand it.Good luck.

N wrote:
This photo is very interesting and the bokeh is a bit curious, smooth but I notice something peculiar in it.

Excellent samples =)

It does look different, thanks. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing Kathmandu's photos of Vemar 2.8/35 and Mo's photos of Tokina 4.5/200, both with Tokina-adapter grub screws removed and inner portion left on the lenses, do you know the inner portion screws off the lens?

4.5/200 with Tokina-SR adapter:

4.5/200 with Tokina-SR adapter removed:

Vemar 2.8/35:

2.8/35 with Tokina-SR adapter:

2.8/35 with Tokina-SR adapter removed:

I also have the 2.8/135, with fixed M42 mount, but it has cloudy elements, has been taken apart, diaphragm removed, and focus helical started on the wrong set of threads; makes me wonder did it have infinity focus problem somebody tried to fix an botched the job?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins:
nice clear pictures- we understood that it unscrews. This was in an earlier post-same thread.

Mo wrote:

kathmandu wrote:
I read your thread. I checked it and Yes it screws off--its just like yours-here are some images:

You have the twin brother of my vemar 35mm Very Happy .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the amount of aluminum you need to remove from the T-mount is VERY slight (a small fraction of a millimeter), it would take a very long time and plenty of hard work to do this with sandpaper.

The quick and crude way to do it would be with a small grinding wheel on an electric drill, or a Dremel tool if you have one. I like quick and crude myself.

The neat and professional way would be with a lathe.