Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele-converters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acquiring a Mutar and changing the mount for an M-42 mount can be done,but most photographers aren't going to shell out that many clams for a used TC.

I heartily endorse the suggestion of testing the TC's on yours lens and see how they do....Collecting used cameras and lenses over the years I've acquired way to many and probably an obscene amount of used TC's....Something I don't do anymore since acquiring a select stable of TC's,I used to try a newly acquired TC on a higher quality telephoto lens and compare the results against my better TC's....and if they performed well with a particular lens were so noted and put with my other good TC's,if not,they went in the hockey puck bin.

In real world shooting for me,TC's see little use,unless I shoot the moon(something I rarely do) or do macro work(something I do even less then shooting the moon).I do occasionally use them for wildlife photography on a 400mm or longer lens,but only when the isn't lens capable of reaching out as far as I may need.

As said before here,a good quality high speed lens is usually a must when using teleconverters.Some of the older high quality manual focus telephotos lenses work very well with TC's.Many lenses though give very disappointing results with a 2x,with results improved somewhat with a 1.4 TC(but not always).

So once again reaffirming third party TC's that were recommended here....

For macro use the Kiron built Vivitar 2x 7 element macro focusing TC does quite well at macro work and for what it does is irreplaceable.I don't believe this TC was made in an M-42 mount.

Shooting to infinity the Vivitar 2x MC7 element (non-macro focusing version) made by Kiron gives quality results.This TC was also sold badged as Kiron,Tokina,Soligor,as well as others.I believe Kenko made a modern version with the same 7 element optics .They all look identical and should be marked MC7,with the exception of the Tokina which may not be marked MC7.This TC wasn't made in a M-42 mount as far as I know.

Shooting with M42 lens a MC KOHBEPTEP K-1 can usually be acquired out of the Ukraine for about $40 US including shipping.

The Komura Telemore 95II (not to be confused with the Telemore 95 first version)is another decent 2x TC for infinity work.

...and just to reiterate what was said before,test all TC's and see how they do.I have one,what looks like a four element Samigon 2x that performs as good as the best TC's recommended above.I also have one four element Vivitar TC that performs almost as good(usually these four element designs make good hockey pucks or with the elements removed an alternative extension tube)

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another pic with Macro Elmarit 2.8/60 on the Leica 2 x TC... no PP...

In the past i didnt have the 1:1 Tube for the Makro Elmarit, so i decided to
test it with the TC... here is the result.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiron 105/f2.8 wide open with Vivitar 2x Macro Focusing TC and no crop or PP.

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's marked Vivitar Series 1, multicoated seven-element C/AF 1.

What's more, when I put it on the 24-70/2.8, it focuses sharply right down to 1:2, compared with about 1:4 as the normal close-up on this "macro" lens. I don't know if that makes it the macro-converter but it certainly makes it more interesting than I thought it was.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The non-macro Vivitar 2x MC7 TC is corrected for infinity,yet can still be used for macro with acceptable results.

The Vivitar 2x Macro Focusing TC however,was optimized for macro work and could be used for infinity,but would not be as good as the MC7 TC.I've never used a Vivitar Macro focusing at infinity,but I've heard some say they have with acceptable results....while others have said they didn't like the results at all at infinity,with the macro focusing TC.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is worth mentioning that the Vivitar TC for Canon (with electrical contacts) gives an error message if used with non-Canon lenses. The adapter seems to short-circuit the contacts, which is a pity.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add the 7element Vivitar as extra money is available, and it is on my to buy list.

But I'm curious, I was looking on Ebay and came across a 7 element Kenko TC, and a 8 element Makinon TC. Anyone try these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenko-7-Element-2x-Macro-Teleconverter-Lens-Minolta-MD_W0QQitemZ150421628534QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Lenses?hash=item2305d3e676

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-8-ELEMENT-2X-MACRO-TELECONVERTER-PENTAX-M42-MAKINON_W0QQitemZ370330090626QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Lenses?hash=item563964bc82

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much to mu surprise, the two teles arrived today, sooner than I thought. I've taken some pictures using my 200mm and the Vivitar unit. I'll have to agree that these aren't for instances where IQ is important, which is ... when?

Light was already getting dim, so after the first shot through the window from where I was sitting, I went out on the front porch to see what I could shoot. I do recommend a tripod, but you already knew that. Of all I took, only one impressed me as reasonably sharp. Could be my focusing.

I see a Tamron for Minolta on ebay that I'll probably bid. It's a MC7.

First, full size through a window with subject 30 yards beyond:

Also no crop:

No crop:

25% crop:

No crop:

66% crop:

No crop:

33% crop: