Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Taylor Hobson Cooke Telekinic Anastigmat 6-inch f/4.5 Exakta
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Taylor Hobson Cooke Telekinic Anastigmat 6-inch f/4.5 Exakta Reply with quote

This is one of those lenses I found in the Adolph Gasser (late, lamented San Francisco camera store) bargain table, about a year ago.

IMGP7921 by luisalegria, on Flickr

IMGP7917 by luisalegria, on Flickr

IMGP7924 by luisalegria, on Flickr

This is a rather common and well-known cine lens, with several variants it seems, dating back to the 1930's.
It has been seen in various cine mounts, often in C-mount. As per the serial number 198358 (TTH Cooke serial numbers are not too well documented and information may be inconsistent) this one seems to be from after 1926 and pre-1939.

The unusual thing about mine is that it is in a quite professional looking brass and aluminum Exakta focusing mount, with an engraved distance scale and all. The lens head, possibly removed from a cine mount/helical, just screws in to the Exakta focusing mount. I don't know if it is a one-off custom job or a factory conversion. The lens covers full-frame 35mm film just fine, and of course APS-C.

The lens itself seems to be a telephoto of some sort, though I may be mistaken. I have not had to disassemble the lens head, thankfully, but therefore I cannot verify the lens formula. "Telekinic" does not seem to indicate a lens formula as such, and seems to have been used for a variety of cine lenses of varying specification.

The glass is in good shape and seems to have been coated at some point (a blue-ish tinted coating), though its now a bit patchy on the front element. It may be that both lens mount and coating were post-war custom work to adapt it for SLR use. Everything works very well on this. Minimum focus is very long, over 3 meters (10 feet), so I have had to use extension rings extensively.

I have used this both on my Pentax K30, using my homemade Exakta-Pentax adapter (no infinity) and my Nex 3, for which there are excellent Exakta adapters. No bird, unfortunately, as properly that requires extension rings to get a decent closeup even on the Pentax, and I didn't have them on at the time.

Results are very good, though not spectacular, and there are no extreme bokeh effects. Though no doubt Marek would surprise us all with a butterfly picture that will prove me wrong. This is a competent tele lens of modest specification. There is a bit of CA wide open.

DSC00377bw by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC00849 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC00829 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC00826 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC00815 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC00753bw by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC00432bw by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC00375 by luisalegria, on Flickr

IMGP7811 by luisalegria, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 small Excellent choice of subjects and a great lens in the hands of a Master.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 great find and as always perfect shots Luis!!