Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP adaptall II 28-105/2.8 176A
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Tamron SP adaptall II 28-105/2.8 176A Reply with quote

I did a search here and found no post about this lens so this may be the first.
It gets bad reviews so I have let it sit for a long time waiting to fix my adapter. Did that today and took some shots. The thing is a beast , it takes 82mm filters. I must admit I'm not disappointed in it. What do you think ?

Last edited by J. Smith on Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen one. B&H Photo in NY still lists this lens as new on their website -- for $500US. !!! Yow.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/142491-REG/Tamron_A76100_28_105mm_f_2_8_LD_Aspherical.html

Yours are the first photos I've ever seen from this lens. They appear to be not bad at all. You know, when I first discovered this lens at B&H's website, I recall specifically reading reviews on this lens. There are NO reviews there now. I think B&H took them offline because many of them were critical of this lens. Most of the complaints that I recall were that it was soft, especially wide open, and most especially in the corners. You know, I can deal with a little bit of softness wide open with a fast lens, but not an excessive amount, and the lens would also have to sharpen up when stopped down, especially by f/5.6.

So, there you go. That's what I know about the lens -- every bid of it second and third hand information, so take it for what it's worth. I would truly love to be able to try one out for myself, but no way am I gonna pay $500 for that lens when I can get a Vivitar S1 28-90 off eBay for less than $50, a lens which is sharper than many primes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for a large constant apt. zoom in this range but all the price tags were just out there ! This one popped up on the bay as a buy it now for something like $150 ( I don't remember exactly , it's been a few years ) So without doing research I snagged it.
The iffy reviews were read latter so I was never pressed to reassemble my adapter and test the lens.
Here is a pic of the beast extended out to 105 with the hood on.

Here is a shot wide open( 2.8 ) all the way out to 105 and a crop of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it certainly seems to be a rare lens.
I can't understand why it may have received the poor reviews that you mention.
The results that you have shown are quite good.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread shows again why we should not put too much weight on "professional" tests and reviews.
It's much better to try an item yourself.

The photos definitely show that you can get excellent results with that lens.
BTW, it's one I have looked for for quite a while. But I gave up because all the ones I found were just ridiculously expensive.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your impressions!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
This thread shows again why we should not put too much weight on "professional" tests and reviews.
It's much better to try an item yourself.

The photos definitely show that you can get excellent results with that lens.

+1 ! Often it's not about cold math and clinical testcharts, it's the image that counts!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only decent EOS AF lens is a Tamron 24-70 3.4 / 5.6 73DE that is the same style and era of the 28-105/2.8 176A, and it's an excellent lens. certainly a whole lot better than the Canon kit lens it replaced. I seem to remember it was quite expensive when I bought it, at least twice the Canon kit lens price.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping an old thread, just because there is one for sale here if anyone was still looking for one..

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/258352-sale-28-105-f-2-8-tamron-adaptall-176a-price-reduced.html