Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 VS 90mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 VS 90mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Hi,
I recently acquired the latest version of the famous Tamron SP 95mm lens, the one which offers a 1:1 macro reproduction and a slightly slower speed of f2.8. I have the older version as well, but haven't had the time yet to compare them side by side on a given subject.
So, has someone here tested them side by side and can offer some info as to which lens is performing better?
Thanks,
Diddy

Last edited by diddy on Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron SP 95mm f2.5 VS 95mm f2.8 Reply with quote

diddy wrote:
Hi,
I recently acquired the latest version of the famous Tamron SP 95mm lens, the one which offers a 1:1 macro reproduction and a slightly slower speed of f2.8. I have the older version as well, but haven't had the time yet to compare them side by side on a given subject.
So, has someone here tested them side by side and can offer some info as to which lens is performing better?
Thanks,
Diddy

Is it possible you are inquiring about Tamron 90mm lenses??

If so:

http://photo.net/filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/00FhA1

If not, I'm unfamiliar with the 95s. Can you provide model numbers?

(I do own a Tamron 52B. It's a wonderful lens.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, my mistake, I was referring to the 90mm ones.

So the 52B(B) versus the 72B.

Thanks for the link: They seem to be comparing 52B(B) versus the new autofocus ones ... I guess that 72B might share the same optical design.

I quite like the 52BB - on the Canon 5D mark 1 it is just a splendid lens. It is very compact and hence good for travelling. It is well made as well. It doesn't go down to 1:1, but I probably don't need this that often anyways.
72B is a bit lager, way lighter as made mostly out of plastic. Goes down to 1:1 and image quality seems quite good so far as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

52B is all metal, 49mm filter size.

52BB has rubber focus ring, 55mm filter ring size, plastic window over focus scale, and is a few millimeters longer.

52B & 52BB have the same optics -- 8 elements in 6 groups.

72B has 10 elements in 9 groups.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diddy wrote:
Ah, yes, my mistake, I was referring to the 90mm ones.

So the 52B(B) versus the 72B.

Thanks for the link: They seem to be comparing 52B(B) versus the new autofocus ones ... I guess that 72B might share the same optical design.

I quite like the 52BB - on the Canon 5D mark 1 it is just a splendid lens. It is very compact and hence good for travelling. It is well made as well. It doesn't go down to 1:1, but I probably don't need this that often anyways.
72B is a bit lager, way lighter as made mostly out of plastic. Goes down to 1:1 and image quality seems quite good so far as well.

Sure, no problem. You are most welcome.

Since you are, indeed, inquiring about Tamron 90s, it's possible a corresponding change to the title of your thread would help. Making the change might bring you more responses. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@guardian: Thanks for pointing out that I could change the title of the forum thread ... I wasn't aware that this was possible.
@visualopsins: Thanks a lot for the physical details.

I am mostly interested in understanding the following: If I take a picture with one of them, which one would be the better lens and why (disregarding the fact the 72B goes down to 1:1).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly you have both these lenses the 55B and the newer 72B? I am thinking maybe only you can answer your own question... Very Happy and could you please post up your findings.

I have the 55B and love it,I bought it only after reading fellow members experiences with it and I can say it has not disappointed me at all.I like its close focusing ability,the OOF area when used wide open and the sharpness when stopped down also the smoothness when focusing.How would that differ or be "better" than the newer 72b,I do not know.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
If I understand correctly you have both these lenses the 55B and the newer 72B? I am thinking maybe only you can answer your own question... Very Happy and could you please post up your findings.

My thoughts too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it seem like I have to do this then ... I don't like conducting technical side by side comparisons of lenses too much. From my experience, yes, 55B(B) is already very good. It's definitely one of my favourite manual focusing lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only drawback to the 52b(b) is under certain conditions the rear element reflects the digital sensor, or some such rubbish, resulting in a blue flare in the center of the image. I have seen this with mine... however in more 'normal' use, I don't think I ever have.

Supposedly, (and we all believe everything we read on the net), the 72b has a curved rather than flat(ish) rear element and does not have this blue spot issue with digital cameras.

BTW, the extension tube for the 52b(b) is a nice thing -- better iq than with the flat field 2x converter - but of course you have to be committed to not shooting very long distances with it mounted.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diddy wrote:
Ok, it seem like I have to do this then ... I don't like conducting technical side by side comparisons of lenses too much. From my experience, yes, 55B(B) is already very good. It's definitely one of my favourite manual focusing lenses.

Hey diddy,
I don't like the technical testing either,is it possible just to enjoy the lenses and not worry about any difference? or is there a specific reason you want to know which is the "better" lens?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Nesster: this is interested ... I haven't seen this so far on my pictures, but I keep watching out for it now.
@Mo: my intention is to keep only one ideally. I didn't have much time yet to work with the 72B. I think I give myself then some more time to get to know this lens and so if there is any advantage optically over the old version.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you guys saying there are THREE tamron 90mm/2.5 macro lenses?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
The only drawback to the 52b(b) is under certain conditions the rear element reflects the digital sensor, or some such rubbish, resulting in a blue flare in the center of the image. I have seen this with mine... however in more 'normal' use, I don't think I ever have.

Supposedly, (and we all believe everything we read on the net), the 72b has a curved rather than flat(ish) rear element and does not have this blue spot issue with digital cameras.

BTW, the extension tube for the 52b(b) is a nice thing -- better iq than with the flat field 2x converter - but of course you have to be committed to not shooting very long distances with it mounted.

Mine does that as well. It's a great lens but this is annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand ...it does take some time to work out a new(old) lens.I have never seen the blue dot..possibly because I don't look for it(?)

There are 2 x SP Tamron 90/2.5 the 55B and the 55BB and 1x Tamron 90/ 2.8 72B Cool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I understand ...it does take some time to work out a new(old) lens.I have never seen the blue dot..possibly because I don't look for it(?)

There are 2 x SP Tamron 90/2.5 the 55B and the 55BB and 1x Tamron 90/ 2.8 72B Cool

Is the 72B an AF or MF lens?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unsure, I would guess MF ...the original OP should be able to answer. I found this link that you may find interesting
http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/007GL3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron 72B is a manual focus lens, more details here:
http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/data/a2-lens/72b.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually go above 50mm but if I do it's the SP90. The 52BB is my all round favourite lens to use. I like everything about it.
Apart from the hot spot, an example of which I've posted before
http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-adaptall-t51150,start,30.html#1245814

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for providing the link!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen the spot with my 52B...the original old girl.
Used to get it on the 300/5.6 but only on my K-7 and K-5, but not on K100D.
Love the 52B for its construction and feel, was really pleased to get an A adapter for it and recently an original hood.
My FA100/2.8 is probably better in most ways but it is the Tamron I pick up
cheers
Pete

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transit wrote:
Love the 52B for its construction and feel, was really pleased to get an A adapter for it and recently an original hood.
cheers
Pete

Stop down to f/16 or more & include bright light source in-frame -- you'll see the blue spot... For the longest time I thought with Canon 5D there was no spot, because I'd never stopped farther than f/8.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vis for the tip on "finding" the blue dot. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this blue dot problem is odd. good thing it doesnt happen on most lenses...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transit wrote:
cheers
Pete

I had the 52B for a while and it was really well built. I later sold it when I got my lester dine 105mm macro.