Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron Adapt-A-Matic 35/2.8 (PSG-28Au)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Tamron Adapt-A-Matic 35/2.8 (PSG-28Au) Reply with quote

Hi!

Tamron's Adapt-A-Matic came before Adaptall, which in turn came before the famous Adaptall-II lenses. I am not the first to post Adapt-A-Matic photos here, Luis Alegria in particular has been somewhat prolific.

My copy of this lens is very clean--no dust, haze, fungus, scratches, dents. I find the contrast pleasing, and the bokeh, in most cases, is very smooth. I haven't noticed any purple fringing (PF) or chromatic aberration (CA), but if you do, please let me know. I have been very happy with this lens, aside from its substantial size. I like the rendering of flowers, and love the handling; this is a smooth, solid (355g w/ Konica FTA Adapta-A-Matic adapter), and beautifully made piece of machinery. I have included below a photo of the lens itself, some images unprocessed other than LR4 jpeg conversion, and also some images post processed a little with LR4. All photos were taken with an Olympus OM-D E-M5.

The lens itself.

Bricks on pallet, f8, about 6m, no pp. Focus on nearest corner brick.

Droplets on steel fence, f4, near minimum focal distance of 0.3m, no pp. Focus on middle droplet.

Steel fence decorative curve, f5.6, near minimum focal distance of 0.3m, no pp. Focus on middle lower right curved section.

Yellow house, f2.8, no pp, focus on nearest inner corner roof shakes.

Yellow house 100% crop, f2.8, no pp, focus on nearest inner corner roof shakes.

Yellow house, f4, no pp, focus on nearest inner corner roof shakes.

Yellow house 100% crop, f4, no pp, focus on nearest inner corner roof shakes.

Yellow house, f5.6, no pp, focus on nearest inner corner roof shakes.

Yellow house 100% crop, f5.6, no pp, focus on nearest inner corner roof shakes.

Yellow house, f8, no pp, focus on nearest inner corner roof shakes.

Yellow house 100% crop, f8, no pp, focus on nearest inner corner roof shakes.

Yellow house, f11, no pp, focus on nearest inner corner roof shakes.

Yellow house 100% crop, f11, no pp, focus on nearest inner corner roof shakes.

Pink flower, f8, somewhat cropped, after some LR4 pp, focus on center pistil.

Pink and white flower, f4, uncropped, no pp, focus on center pistil. Note the low contrast.

Pink and white flower (same as previous one), f4, uncropped, substantial pp, focus on center pistil.

Cheers!

Last edited by glasslover on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tests, thank you.
My use of this was with the Pentax K100D which has much less resolution and wouldn't catch the problems you have shown in the couple of 1:1 center shots there. I see CA plus resolution limits in your shots, but I may be wrong.

My general impression was that it was a so-so lens but quite usable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

luisalegria wrote:
Good tests, thank you.
My use of this was with the Pentax K100D which has much less resolution and wouldn't catch the problems you have shown in the couple of 1:1 center shots there. I see CA plus resolution limits in your shots, but I may be wrong.

My general impression was that it was a so-so lens but quite usable.

Exactly, it is quite usable, with nice handling characteristics.

I'm not sure I'm seeing CA, where do you see it and how do you characterize it?

I think what I'm finding is that many manual focus lenses designed for 35mm film don't have enough resolution to allow happy pixel-peeping on images made with the very dense m43 sensor found in the E-M5.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats exactly right, the high resolution 4/3 sensor is very demanding.
I think few old film lenses would have been made for such a specification.

In your wide open shot I see a "glow" that I normally would call CA.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same lens in M42. Didn't really get a chance to use it yet, just some random clicks. I took it with me last friday, and made a few pictures, this is one of them:

Sky by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr