Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 400/6.9 preset t-mount - an early collectible
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Tamron 400/6.9 preset t-mount - an early collectible Reply with quote

This is an old Tamron (model FO-69) from about 1963. It seems to be one of the more common of the Tamron long lenses, and of course it is one of the first t-mount lenses.

Tamron started establishing their brand early - while they sold through the distributors under their brands - notably Soligor - they also made a point of selling their product under their own name as well, and they weren't shy of it - they made sure to print it in very large letters on their early products !

This is a typical Tamron product of the early period, very simple, sturdy, well made and finished. It is a very light and handy lens for a 400mm, helped by the rather small aperture. Its a fraction of the weight of, for instance, the Meyer Telemegor 400/5.5. It is no hardship to carry this around.

I think this was intended as a consumer lens, if so it is one of the first of the low-cost "wundertute". Tamron also made a line of even smaller and lighter 400mm's, and even a collapsible model (Nestar), on the same principles and probably for the same market.

This one came in rather worn condition, with a badly dented filter ring, but that is easy to remedy. The glass has the coating worn off in spots, doubtless reducing performance a bit. Even so, it is a very capable lens that is sharp wide open (even if that is only f/6.9), and as far as I can tell, excellent contrast. Its worst problem is a rather long minimum focus of 30ft/9m.

The bird - I never managed to get perfect focus on this, after many tries, maybe because of the small aperture ?

crop -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely capable!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW is all I have to say to those examples.
Either you have some magic ability to let crappy lenses really shine or you have an ability to know what gems to pluck from the rest.

I have some Tamron adatall lenses in my small collection and was tempted to buy this:
Trade name Model Price Yen Sale time
400mm F/7.5 #490 --- 1961

It is similar to the lens you have just shown.
But I made a few other purchases and I passed. Do you know anything about this model and if it would have been a good buy at 18 euro.

/Jan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lesson I've been learning so far is that there are a lot of old lenses capable of reaching the limit of my 6 megapixel sensor resolution if focused properly.

I don't think this lens is exceptional for a cheap t-mount 400mm. There are many of these from the 1960's-1970's, like the Spiratone brand (I had one) and many other odd makes that are probably just the same.

I like these old Tamrons because they have a certain charm and nice workmanship, besides good performance. The exceptional one so far was the 350mm f/5.6 which I was very pleased with.

I am looking for the f/7.5 and others in this line for my collection. I think 18 Euro is a reasonable price for that Tamron in Europe. I would be willing to pay maybe $15 for it here, but prices tend to be lower on this side.

The problem with these small aperture lenses is that I find that they are harder to focus accurately.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Tamron 400/6.9 preset t-mount - an early collectible Reply with quote

hi i had recently acquire a similar Tamron 400 6.9 lens in a garage sale, but its very hard to get any info on this lens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tamron 400/6.9 preset t-mount - an early collectible Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
This is an old Tamron (model FO-69) from about 1963. It seems to be one of the more common of the Tamron long lenses, and of course it is one of the first t-mount lenses.

This is a typical Tamron product of the early period, very simple, sturdy, well made and finished. It is a very light and handy lens for a 400mm, helped by the rather small aperture. Its a fraction of the weight of, for instance, the Meyer Telemegor 400/5.5. It is no hardship to carry this around.

i had some problem with this lens, this lens has a quite peculiar mount, it had a 3-edge mount , but i had try it on nikon f mount, minolta mount and pentax k mount, but it was smaller than all the said mount , comparison between a k mount adapter to m42 to the mount ring on this tamron 400

secondly the rear lens will fall off and there are nothing to hold it in place as shown below

thirdly, the screw ring was around 55mm which only fit the stand that come with the lens

i am wondering if there is a piece of the lens that is missing. was hoping if you may shed any light on this confusion? thanks mate

cheers
Jarod

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks admins ! I guess you gave the gent rights to post pictures.

Yes, there is a piece or pieces missing on this one, and one piece that doesn't belong. It appears that you have someones leftover conversion project.

It looks like someone adapted it for some purpose that we can only guess at now.
The mount itself is Exakta, but on its own this wont go into any Exakta camera. Its also not a bit that was supplied by Tamron, this thing is probably taken fron some other lens.

I suspect the rear tube, that holds the T-mount screw, was removed and someone put in an Exakta mount ring, as you have there.
As it is, if some way can be found to fasten everything together, it is very likely go nicely into an Exakta bellows, which may have been the point, to make a very close focusing rig. The Exakta Vielzweck heavy duty bellows unit should be able to handle suck a weight.

The rear optical module is normally held on by setscrews I think, I cant say as I haven't disassembled mine to this extent. These are apparently missing. Or there may be some other fastening bit missing. Can't say.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="luisalegria"]

Yes, there is a piece or pieces missing on this one, and one piece that doesn't belong. It appears that you have someones leftover conversion project.

It looks like someone adapted it for some purpose that we can only guess at now.
The mount itself is Exakta, but on its own this wont go into any Exakta camera. Its also not a bit that was supplied by Tamron, this thing is probably taken fron some other lens.

I suspect the rear tube, that holds the T-mount screw, was removed and someone put in an Exakta mount ring, as you have there.
As it is, if some way can be found to fasten everything together, it is very likely go nicely into an Exakta bellows, which may have been the point, to make a very close focusing rig. The Exakta Vielzweck heavy duty bellows unit should be able to handle suck a weight.

The rear optical module is normally held on by setscrews I think, I cant say as I haven't disassembled mine to this extent. These are apparently missing. Or there may be some other fastening bit missing. Can't say. [/quote]

If I tighten the stand screw it actually hold the rear optical module in place.

But as you had mention the rear tube is missing, is it possible to get exakta extension tube(work as the rear tube) to screw on then connect to exakta to nex adapter?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be possible. I was looking at the Exakta extension rings I have and they look like they would work for that purpose.
You will have to find a combination of rings that get you to infinity focus.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same lens (or a similar one - mine is 400 f7.5) but look exactly the same.
Nice one and not very heavy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luis,Pleased to see others collecting early Tamrons,beautifully made and excellent results obtained from them I have the Rokunar 350mm f5.6 which was made by Tamron i believe and recently obtained the 200-500 f5.6.Happy New year to you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this comparison of vintage 400mm lenses including the tamron 400 6.9. Although I don't read chinese he sample pics and conclusions are clear enough. This lens does well!
http://blog.dcview.com/article.php?a=AD1XMwZlBDsCYw%3D%3D