Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar 4/300
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Takumar 4/300 Reply with quote

Hi,

I´m looking for a Takumar 4/300 to complete my small Takumar collection.
Can anybody tell me something about picture quality ? Perhaps with one or more shots ?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Rolf

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see here : http://www.aohc.it/tak05e.htm there are 3 different optical formulae for the 300/4, I have a Super Takumar, is seems to be a good lens (I rather use my 350/5.6 catadioptric Tamron), but its coating is not highly efficient Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rolf
I had the super tak 300/4 5/5 till a week ago (swopped for a few other taks i wanted)

It is very sharp with moderate ca and in my opinion as good as any, especially the SMC version
Image of my neighbour's roof about 35meters away with crop

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the S-M-C version, and it is very good and sharp from f/4. It's not a true APO design, so there are some rather visible chromatic aberrations, but that's typical of all long lenses of the era. Hovewer, it's still a sharp and usable lens.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for your comments and the samples. Looks really not too bad.

Whats about the Tele-Takumar f:6,3/300. Has anyone his lens perhaps with a/some sample shots ?

Many thanks in advance.

Rolf

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Whats about the Tele-Takumar f:6,3/300.

Well, it's 1 1/3 stops slower than the 4/300, and is a pre-set design with older coatings. Considering that one can get the Super Takumar 4/300 for around $150, and S-M-C for around $175, I don't think the older one is worth it. If you need an affordable 300mm, you can look at third-party alternatices. I briefly had Accura 5/300 (I believe it was a re-badged 5.6/300 made by Tokina, as I've seen exactly the same design under many brands), and it was quite all right from wide open. It was around $25 at the time.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/takumar/smc_takumar_300mm_f4/

I think this is a good lens good as than any other brand lens like Nikkor 300mm f4.5 AIS.