Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Superia 400 / MD 35-70
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Superia 400 / MD 35-70 Reply with quote

From my all-Minolta road trip - Fuji Superia 400, CVS scan with some dup + multiply to tame the washed-out bright scans, Minolta SRT 201, MD 35-70mm f/3.5 lens - this is some sharp kit!

urban math

Math by Nesster, on Flickr

sporting goods

Not quite 1.4 macro

mountain lily by Nesster, on Flickr

1:4 macro, closest possible with the lens

Looking down a waterfall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jussi, i like that top shot a bunch. i like shooting monochromatic stuff with color film ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn right it's sharp! Shocked That one caffenol shot I posted in your
Autocord thread was a Minolta x300 with 1.7/50 Rokkor lens. These are store
scans? Look like it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that Fuji 400 looks good stuff, some one said here "it was better than Superia 200asa" ...................................

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Damn right it's sharp! Shocked That one caffenol shot I posted in your
Autocord thread was a Minolta x300 with 1.7/50 Rokkor lens. These are store
scans? Look like it.

Stunning pictures! Really high quality!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I haven't shot Superia 400 for a while, it's nice film. The 35-70 is a real treat...

Costume Closet, Sunbury PA by Nesster, on Flickr

These are CVS scans. I find that doing the following makes them look more like how I'd scan them:
Dup the image, maybe do 'auto color' on it. Blend it back, often it needs 100%, in multiply. This brings the photo back out from the bleached over exposed look CVS seems to think is the correct one. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forth shot in the post is really nice, the color pops

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure is a sharp outfit. Very nice.

I like the film also for close to short distance but seem to get weird colors at long distance. Maybe its something I'm doing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone tried new Kodak Portra 400, supposed to have the finest grain. Question

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Anyone tried new Kodak Portra 400, supposed to have the finest grain. Question

I'm thinking of it, once B&H re-opens after the holidays, both it and Portra 160

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look like a good combo.

In fact, #2 looks a little oversharp. I've no idea what or whom CVS is so that may be the culprit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results for Superia 400. I have some here I'm still working through. I'm not a big fan of it because the scans I get with it are usually quite grainy. But for display on the web, it does a decent job.

@Martinsmith99, CVS is a large drug store chain here in the US. Perhaps you would call them "chemists?" Most all of the stores have a small photo processing center located on premises.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, CVS is a drugstore chain that still has minilabs in store. The main advantage is if you find a good one, they do good work at a low price. But their scans usually need some work.

Stream, Resort Point, Appalachian Trail, Delaware Water Gap, PA by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive image quality from that lens. The one you have and
hopefully the one I recently won on ebay is the last of the 3 versions
with closest focusing to 1.1 feet:

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20060308080501/http://members.aol.com/manualminolta/minslr.htm

Try this again, above link is good info about Minolta manual focus cameras:

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20060308080501/members.aol.com/xkaes/287035.htm