Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super-Paragon PMC Auto Zoom 28mm-50mm is this a rarity?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Super-Paragon PMC Auto Zoom 28mm-50mm is this a rarity? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but I've been lurking and reading and buying up M42, M39 and C-mount lenses from time to time to use on my Panasonic Lumix GX7.

I've just bought on eBay.co.uk a Super-Paragon PMC Auto Zoom 28mm-50mm (max aperture f1:3.5 - f1:4.5, stopping down to f1:16).

It has an M42 lens mount. I’m absolutely certain of this, as the mount is identical to my other M42s which all fit on the same M42-Micro Four Thirds adapter.

It was mounted on (and bought with) a Praktica LB body. There is a serial number - 908065 - and it has one of those gold oval quality control stickers - it passed ('Razz') - which suggests it may have been made in 1993.

(The code is there but the images aren't Sad )

I can't find any reference to it anywhere online, including the M42 Lens Database. There are few mentions of the same make/focal range with other mounts.

It's a gloomy, cloudy evening here in the UK so I can't really put it through its paces to check IQ. It's in pretty good condition as far as I can see, although the mechanics are a bit sloppy.

Is this a real rarity, or am I just getting over-excited?

Thanks,

Hubert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a rarity? Reply with quote

Hubert wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but I've been lurking and reading and buying up M42, M39 and C-mount lenses from time to time to use on my Panasonic Lumix GX7.

I've just bought on eBay.co.uk a Super-Paragon PMC Auto Zoom 28mm-50mm (max aperture f1:3.5 - f1:4.5, stopping down to f1:16).

It has an M42 lens mount. I’m absolutely certain of this, as the mount is identical to my other M42s which all fit on the same M42-Micro Four Thirds adapter.

It was mounted on (and bought with) a Praktica LB body. There is a serial number - 908065 - and it has one of those gold oval quality control stickers - it passed ('Razz') - which suggests it may have been made in 1993.

(The code is there but the images aren't Sad )

I can't find any reference to it anywhere online, including the M42 Lens Database. There are few mentions of the same make/focal range with other mounts.

It's a gloomy, cloudy evening here in the UK so I can't really put it through its paces to check IQ. It's in pretty good condition as far as I can see, although the mechanics are a bit sloppy.

Is this a real rarity, or am I just getting over-excited?

Thanks,

Hubert

Quite common, there are a couple on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-paragon-auto-zoom-/161761310939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a9b9b8db

It's probably made by Cimko, they made most of the Super-Paragon lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a rarity? Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Quite common, there are a couple on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-paragon-auto-zoom-/161761310939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a9b9b8db

It's probably made by Cimko, they made most of the Super-Paragon lenses.

Thanks Ian, that one's a bayonet mount, as are the others I've seen on the bay - just wondered if anyone had ever seen an M42 version?

(says he clutching at straws Smile )

EDIT: just found this Cimko which looks identical apart from the branding http://bit.ly/1TygYQV

So thanks for the hint.

H

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paragon and Super Paragon were the store brand lenses of the Photax chain of photography / camera stores, which I think folded in the 1980's.
My view is, and I could be wrong, Photax were unusual in buying better quality lenses for re branding rather than the cheapest. I've had a few of their lenses and still have the 135 / 2.8 Super Paragon made by Cimko ( identified by the unequal green diamond focusing mark ) which is a very good lens. It certainly isn't as good as some other 135's, but it it is far better than most of the cheap store branded and 'no name' 135's I've tried. And reading other peoples experiences with the Paragon's, I don't think I'm far out in my view.
Photax did use other manufacturers to supply lenses, and there is a lot of confusion with Panagor lenses, they are not the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another giveaway for Cimko lenses is the four screws securing the mount to the lens - the back of the lens - are unequally spaced.

(But I bet someone will come along and tell me different Wink )

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Another giveaway for Cimko lenses is the four screws securing the mount to the lens - the back of the lens - are unequally spaced.

(But I bet someone will come along and tell me different Wink )

Not I - my 28-50 has precisely four unequally spaced screws on the ring outside the mount. It also has three equally spaced screws on the flat area just inside the mount, concentric with the aperture control pin. (All visible in one of the pictures at http://bit.ly/1TygYQV) The heads of the three inner screws protrude slightly, so I'm keeping my eye on my adapter for signs of scratching.

It doesn't have the misshapen green diamond pointer, although I've got a 28mm f1:2.8 Super Paragon that does. Maybe because it marks the centre of the DOF, which would be a bit difficult on the 28-50, on which the aperture changes as you zoom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Cimko. I came across a group of eight of these in M42 mount in a charity shop and bought them all. Mine are labelled for an American importer, CPC, Combined Products Corp.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Is this rarity" too general title , please always put lens name into title, I did fix it.
People will find your post based on title and learn from your post and replies.

On noname lenses 'rarity' is doesn't matter factor, even worst on noname zooms like this one. No matter how rare, usually it has no value and no interest by majority of users or collectors. I have many I did save them from trash bin.