Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Cosina 100-500mm f/5.6-8 MC Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Super Cosina 100-500mm f/5.6-8 MC Macro Reply with quote

I rarely ever shoot longer than 150mm, but I thought it would be nice to have a lens in my arsenal to break out in those rare opportunities in which the subject is just too far.

I ran into this beast of a lens which weighs just under 1.5 kg (approx. 3 lb). The thing feels like it's pretty well made. I couldn't find much info on it online.

My impressions so far:
- It's somewhat difficult to focus at the longer focal lengths, but I guess the same could be said about any lens that reaches 500mm.
- It's reasonably sharp.
- The bokeh is really nice.
- I think I detect some minimal purple fringing.

I absolutely love how it compresses the scenes � the line in the first couple of photos was almost-perfectly straight to the naked eye!

The lens came with its caps, a dedicated hard case, and a screw-in metal hood that fits in the case with the lens so I suppose it's the original. Absolutely mint except for some wear on the base of the tripod mount.

I haven't had much time to play with it, but here are a few samples. No post-processing at all, except RAW>jpg conversion.

1. f/5.6, 1/125, ISO 800 @500mm

1a. (100% crop)

2. f/11, 1/60, ISO 800 @500mm

2a. (100% crop)

3. f/5.6, 1/200, ISO 400 @500mm (shot at the min. focusing distance at f/5.6 to check quality of the bokeh)

3a. (100% crop)

4. f/11, 1/100, ISO 640 @400mm

4a. (100% crop)

5. f/5.6, 1/3, ISO 200 @500mm (low ISO at min. focusing distance wide open to check sharpness)

5a. (100% crop)

A pretty good addition to the toolbox for when extra reach is needed.

Last edited by invisible on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not terrible by any means.
A little PP on those and they will be very usable images.
Certainly gives added reach that's for sure.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all, certainly not worse than a majority of 500/8 mirrors out there. Any pics of the setup? Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had recently ran into one, at the local store, canon FD mount. Seller wanted $180 for it. It's huge though, heavy as a mortar shell Smile) and deff needs a tripod, no mater the light condition.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FotoPete wrote:
Not bad at all, certainly not worse than a majority of 500/8 mirrors out there. Any pics of the setup? Very Happy

Not yet, but I'll take them as soon as I have a moment. I'll update this thread with the images.

Jvg wrote:
Had recently ran into one, at the local store, canon FD mount. Seller wanted $180 for it. It's huge though, heavy as a mortar shell Smile) and deff needs a tripod, no mater the light condition.

Yeah, this thing is HEAVY Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FotoPete wrote:
Any pics of the setup? Very Happy

Here you go Smile

As far as I could find, there are two versions of this Cosina 100-500, and this one is the older one. It's a push-pull zoom. No zoom creep (although I don't expect to ever point it downwards).

Last edited by invisible on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats actually not as be as first imagined and being a zoom makes it all the more flexible!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one slick lens. I like it a lot, and your photos are sweet, too. You stole the lens.

One question, though:

Is that a fixed mount on the lens?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
That is one slick lens. I like it a lot, and your photos are sweet, too. You stole the lens.

One question, though:

Is that a fixed mount on the lens?

Yes, it is a fixed mount. I'm happy I was able to find it in Nikon mount.

Last edited by invisible on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Cosina 100-500mm f/5.6-8 MC Macro Reply with quote

I have the same lens (except that mine has NO tripod mount)
I find VERY handy
    Easy to hold
    Not so long/Big for that range/focal lengh/zom ratio
    Lightweith for that range/focal lengh/zom ratio
    EASY to focus (for that focal distance)
    Quality OK+ (not stellar but ok)

Some lenses (prime mainly) are better , few zooms are better
Some lenses (even well known) are not better (ex 400mm tokina)

Do not forget that it was te last or one of the last high quality vivitar series 1 lens (before vivitar stopped their high range philosophy)

Pls find pic made with (slightly out of focus)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently bidding on a 100-500mm f5.6-7.6 tele macro Soligor C/D lens . . . they look suspiciously alike. If I win it, I'll post pictures when it arrives.

I didn't big all out - I very seldom use long teles . . . but I have this thing about Soligor C/Ds . . . Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moltogordo wrote:
. . . but I have this thing about Soligor C/Ds . . . Twisted Evil

O..C..D..

Razz

Looking forward to your report. I bought a tamron 200-500/6.9 on impulse a while back and quickly found I'd neither the opportunity nor the arms to carry it around.