Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sun-Zoom Macro 1:3.5 38-90mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Sun-Zoom Macro 1:3.5 38-90mm Reply with quote

Look what i got today.

It's a handsome looking zoom in PK mount.
haven't seen such lens till now and it looks good. There is a baffle inside between the glass elements.

Do you have experience with it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience. Interesting lens. Sun was a pioneer in manufacturing and promoting zooms.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it too! Very Happy

http://forum.mflenses.com/three-suns-sun-opt-zoom-set-t29966,highlight,three+suns.html Note the mount is YS with T2 threads, the YS PK mount should unscrew...

A beauty of a lens. I hope to get around to trying it someday Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool - tis interchangeable mounts sounds nice.

Overall the lens looks very well built - everything turns very smooth and this cool macro switch is nice Smile

For the samples i have to wait for a K mount adapter, even holding it against the camera gives very contrast images not very sharp but with good colors.. but i might be wrong - let's wait for the adapter first.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, there is a longer Komura badged lens that looks very similar, I think it's a 70-150, nearly bought one recently.

Anyone know if Sun zooms are good? I see them often really cheap but never taken the plunge and grabbed one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating thread. I think I might have one of these on the way in. Am about 90% certain. Branding is different, but there are definite, striking, similarities.

I've not been able to view either the barrel of my lens or the mount. If it has a YS mount I am going to be really happy. My lens is a 38-90mm f3.5 though, with a name ring quite similar. The time period of manufacture is about right, too, for the group of lenses I bought.

I think this Sun is a pretty good lens, with other lenses (back in the day) having been benchmarked against it!!:

http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000NvJ

Does this Sun still shine?

Apparently, big time!! Very Happy

Last edited by guardian on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:42 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By sheer coincidence I picked up one of these a few weeks ago just to get the Exakta YS mount (and that's a pretty uncommon thing)
I have had it on the camera for a while. I still haven't come to a conclusion about it, but at least it doesn't seem bad.

Some of the Sun zooms were pretty good. The 80-240/4 monster is one of the best of its type I think, and the 60-135 is very good, at least as good as the Kiron 70-150.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice lens - quite sharp it flares a bit showing low contrast sometimes but this is easy to fix in PP.
I also got the Sun Zoom YS-70 1:4 70-210 - that one is quite compact and not bad too.

And here are some samples with the 38-90 resized to 1600:

First set are with Olympus E-P2:

And those below are with EOS 20D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Soligor 300 / 5.5 is a Sun, according to the best information we have, and it's probably the best one of the chrome eared series of Soligors that I've got. But the 200 / 3.5 Prinzflex, which we collectively decided was a Sun, and is not so good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Sun 85-210 M42 f4.5 and quite like the results, but of course it can't match a prime...but don't use it much because I'd have to use a M42 film camera or m42 adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give up!! See below for the post and the pictures.

Sorry Calvin. I still don't know what I did. Embarassed

Last edited by calh on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:36 pm; edited 9 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun 38-90 F3.5 Reply with quote

calh wrote:
This post might be of help to some people who like me love to fool around with older lenses on modern digital cameras. I have a particular liking of Sun lenses. I believe they are over looked by many. I will share some of experiences with various MF lenses I have and used. This affliction I have for collecting and using these lenses is getting out of control and I would love to know if any one knows a cure. Rolling Eyes

Some pictures taken with a Sun 38-90 F3.5 lens on a Canon 5DII, ISO 100. Aperture priority, Tiffen Polarizer Cir Filter.