Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sun Telephoto 135mm f3.8 in Exakta Mount.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Sun Telephoto 135mm f3.8 in Exakta Mount. Reply with quote

My recent purchase has turned into a clean / repair project. This seems to happen when you buy hard to find unique lenses at online auctions. I bid most of the time with that mindset unless I have bought from the seller before.It also happens more when the seller sells mostly other vintage stuff,and the occasional camera, lens et al. I am by no means ranting here as I acquired this lens very cheaply.

This beautiful lens came with the focus ring frozen stiff, dirty, dusty and a stuck aperture.I disassembled the lens . I have managed to free and loosen the aperture -its not smooth yet but I am getting there. I cleaned the element behind the aperture and the outside of the elements in front of the aperture blade. I have not been able to loosen or even budge the focusing even after taking the focus ring off.

Since all elements are in the front -I was able to mount it on my bellows and bring the "close focusing" in closer to 2.5 ft fro 5ft. I can focus at infinity and more. Some images of the disassemble.I would love to hear your inputs/suggestions for unfreezing the focusing ; its my intention to be able to use it mounted on its original mechanism.

Thank you

Aperture blades cleaned with Q-tips soaked in naptha and later with isoprophyl and wiped dry. The elements were cleaned with Eclipse ,Naptha ,and distlled water soaked lens cleaning paper.

The focus ring and lens mount.

Mounted on bellows.

Images taken indoors with bellows unit all wide open-shot hand held .

@8ft.

@ 2.5ft

@3ft

@3.5ft

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, really nice find ... Wondering if those lenses were made with a "native" M42 mount, too ...

I like the results in the last picture of the set ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Well, really nice find ... Wondering if those lenses were made with a "native" M42 mount, too ...

Thanks -I think so too. I am not sure if they made this in M42. I know "luisalegria" has the same one , and "trifox" mentioned somewhere he bought one. You can see the lenses potential from "luisalegria's " samples-but he makes good images with most lenses in his hands. Very Happy .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only seen this lens in Exakta mount, it is the only reason I haven't bought one yet. I should just break down and buy an Exakta, I want one anyway.
Nice lens. Hopefully it waill loosen up.
By the way this is the 13.5cm version not the 135mm version. I beleive I've seen both in this lens style. Execpt for the markings I think they are identical anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks " walter g"- Very Happy
I am still perplexed about the frozen focusing and have not made any progress even after inserting lighter fluid in all cracks and slots. I have a suspicious feeling the leatherette grip ring may have to be opened. I am reading around to see if I can find more information.I dont want to open up the beautifully done leatherette if I can avoid it-it adds to the intrinsic value of the lens . I stumbled on this-which says they made these lenses and more in M42.

Camerapedia on Sun

If you know where I can look for break apart or lubing information pls let me know.

Adios

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the lube hardened up. Have you tried applying a little heat with a hair dryer? You would think the fluid would have loosened it up.
Sorry, I haven't had one of these apart.

Good luck, Walter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice take your time and don't rush Very Happy The leatherette does have a join in it Confused Heat it and take it off?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
indianadinos wrote:

Thanks -I think so too. I am not sure if they made this in M42. I know "luisalegria" has the same one , and "trifox" mentioned somewhere he bought one. You can see the lenses potential from "luisalegria's " samples-but he makes good images with most lenses in his hands. Very Happy .

Shocked how do you remember that? Smile

Yes, I have got one -- my copy - totally stuck but I am working on it since I have started with new tech .Smile

tf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pls let me know how it goes-I have been staring at this- for a few days-taken out all visible screws except under the leather grip,inserted naptha in all cracks -still no budge.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine doesn't have the leather.
There are no screws under the leather - its just a section of bare brass.
I have never figured out how to remove the Exakta mount, or open the helical mechanism as I wanted to see if I could adjust infinity (I was looking at conversion also).

One method that worked a couple of times for me with stuck helicals is to soak the whole thing in lighter fluid for a few days. That succeeded with a Zeiss Triotar and a Komura 200mm. Hasn't worked yet with a 90mm Sun Sola.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I have used Lighter fluid in all cracks and screw holes-I wonder what other solvents might work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, by soak I mean submerge the piece in lighter fluid and let it soak.

The downside is that some paint in the engraving will get stripped this way, but this can be restored. In your case that leather may suffer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Well, by soak I mean submerge the piece in lighter fluid and let it soak.

The downside is that some paint in the engraving will get stripped this way, but this can be restored. In your case that leather may suffer.

Thanks for the clarification Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the focus limiting screw out and soaked it in naptha for 24 hours~so this morning after wiping it down , I tried to unscrew it -the focus still did not budge.

I then hit it with a heat gun around where the DOF markings are uniformly rotating the body as I did. I then grabbed a towel to grip the body as I untwisted and it and voila - success at last. The grease has hardened in consistency and turned into a grayish plastic like material. I tried to wipe the plastic like stuff with Turpentine and Acetone with limited success. I'll have to figure out what solvent works best later to clean and relube it. Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news on your progress!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Great news on your progress!! Very Happy

Thank you-and thanks for suggesting applying heat Very Happy.
Three hours and lots of Q-tips -Isoprophyl and Lighter fluid later-I am done cleaning ,lubing and assembling. I now have a clean lens with smooth focusing.

I had to use alcohol, naptha and toothpick to scrape the dry gunk from the grooves, until I had clean dry threads.

I applied this lubricant called SpeedX that skaters use-I have had great results with this in the past. I applied it with a cotton swap first and wiped it clean. I finished it wit another light application, making sure I put enough to prevent any wobbling. It moves smoothly .

Adjusting for infinity on this lens involves where you start screwing the helical . Very Happy-I plan on adapting it with a M39 to M42 adapter epoxied around the Exakta flange.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed It was not me who suggested heat....but I am thankful you have basically made a step by step for someone else who may have the same problem Very Happy
When it comes to using different types of helicoil grease do you also take into account how long it will last?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Embarassed It was not me who suggested heat....but I am thankful you have basically made a step by step for someone else who may have the same problem Very Happy
When it comes to using different types of helicoil grease do you also take into account how long it will last?

Well-its all for the best then.
I am no expert on grease Very Happy -but to answer your question about bout helical grease- what I was looking for was something that performed in extreme temp -and did not succumb to moisture and evaporate leaving dry gunk. Having said that I suspect most oils and grease ;that mix with moisture and evaporate-only do so after very long periods of time and exposure .
I have never used any other type of grease-I saw this one day @the local hardware shop and have been successfully using it-when the need arises.

This is a link to the product page

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not made any progress yet and congrats to yours!

It's almost impossible to unscrew it in my case..

tf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - nice work!

Just chiming in briefly to say that this lens was in fact made in M42 mount, as was the 9cm Sola.

I reckon Sun lenses of this vintage just tend to be difficult to get into and restore. Happily, my 13.5cm and Sola haven't needed this kind of attention. On the other hand, my Sun Sparon was returned untouched by keh, with a note that said it couldn't be worked on.

(I've found another restorer who may be willing to take on the challenge, but I haven't decided whether or not to proceed.)

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stan and John.

Jon do you have images of the lens? What's wrong with the lens? Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Here's a link to a couple of photos.

One problem is fungus: a fairly localized case, but (apparently) between cemented elements - hence keh's determination that the lens couldn't be cleaned.

Another problem is in the aperture mechanism: I think one blade is either detached or broken.

And the final problem is a stiff focusing ring.

Since the uncleanable fungus is the limiting factor here, I haven't bothered trying to do anything about the other issues.

When I first received the lens, I tried everything I could think of to open it up, but I couldn't get anything to budge. (I should be clear that I didn't start removing random screws, since that kind of approach seldom seems to end well for me.)

I did locate one technician who was at least willing to look at the lens, and who apparently disassembles and recements cemented elements as a routine matter, but the service charges were rather high - and he wasn't at all sure he'd be able to do anything about the aperture problem. So I'm still trying to decide how to proceed.

It's such an interesting lens - I'd love to get it back into working condition.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good challenge for someone . Realistically it would take quite a bit of time~the fungus may or may not be worth even attempting to clean, or even possible without ruining the element, sadly.I am very impressed with the quality of the Sun lens , at least one I have.

I bought the same lens in an all chrome version ,with working focus and aperture. I plan on opening it up and cleaning and relubing it, sometime in the future.I do not like the organic grease of old in it at the moment-and want to clean it off and relube it with the synthetic stuff.