Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sun Telephoto 135mm f3.8 in Exakta Mount.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Great news on your progress!! Very Happy

Thank you-and thanks for suggesting applying heat Very Happy.
Three hours and lots of Q-tips -Isoprophyl and Lighter fluid later-I am done cleaning ,lubing and assembling. I now have a clean lens with smooth focusing.

I had to use alcohol, naptha and toothpick to scrape the dry gunk from the grooves, until I had clean dry threads.

I applied this lubricant called SpeedX that skaters use-I have had great results with this in the past. I applied it with a cotton swap first and wiped it clean. I finished it wit another light application, making sure I put enough to prevent any wobbling. It moves smoothly .

Adjusting for infinity on this lens involves where you start screwing the helical . Very Happy-I plan on adapting it with a M39 to M42 adapter epoxied around the Exakta flange.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed It was not me who suggested heat....but I am thankful you have basically made a step by step for someone else who may have the same problem Very Happy
When it comes to using different types of helicoil grease do you also take into account how long it will last?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Embarassed It was not me who suggested heat....but I am thankful you have basically made a step by step for someone else who may have the same problem Very Happy
When it comes to using different types of helicoil grease do you also take into account how long it will last?

Well-its all for the best then.
I am no expert on grease Very Happy -but to answer your question about bout helical grease- what I was looking for was something that performed in extreme temp -and did not succumb to moisture and evaporate leaving dry gunk. Having said that I suspect most oils and grease ;that mix with moisture and evaporate-only do so after very long periods of time and exposure .
I have never used any other type of grease-I saw this one day @the local hardware shop and have been successfully using it-when the need arises.

This is a link to the product page

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not made any progress yet and congrats to yours!

It's almost impossible to unscrew it in my case..

tf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - nice work!

Just chiming in briefly to say that this lens was in fact made in M42 mount, as was the 9cm Sola.

I reckon Sun lenses of this vintage just tend to be difficult to get into and restore. Happily, my 13.5cm and Sola haven't needed this kind of attention. On the other hand, my Sun Sparon was returned untouched by keh, with a note that said it couldn't be worked on.

(I've found another restorer who may be willing to take on the challenge, but I haven't decided whether or not to proceed.)

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stan and John.

Jon do you have images of the lens? What's wrong with the lens? Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Here's a link to a couple of photos.

One problem is fungus: a fairly localized case, but (apparently) between cemented elements - hence keh's determination that the lens couldn't be cleaned.

Another problem is in the aperture mechanism: I think one blade is either detached or broken.

And the final problem is a stiff focusing ring.

Since the uncleanable fungus is the limiting factor here, I haven't bothered trying to do anything about the other issues.

When I first received the lens, I tried everything I could think of to open it up, but I couldn't get anything to budge. (I should be clear that I didn't start removing random screws, since that kind of approach seldom seems to end well for me.)

I did locate one technician who was at least willing to look at the lens, and who apparently disassembles and recements cemented elements as a routine matter, but the service charges were rather high - and he wasn't at all sure he'd be able to do anything about the aperture problem. So I'm still trying to decide how to proceed.

It's such an interesting lens - I'd love to get it back into working condition.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good challenge for someone . Realistically it would take quite a bit of time~the fungus may or may not be worth even attempting to clean, or even possible without ruining the element, sadly.I am very impressed with the quality of the Sun lens , at least one I have.

I bought the same lens in an all chrome version ,with working focus and aperture. I plan on opening it up and cleaning and relubing it, sometime in the future.I do not like the organic grease of old in it at the moment-and want to clean it off and relube it with the synthetic stuff.