Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sun Auto Zoom 85-210 f3.8 macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Sun Auto Zoom 85-210 f3.8 macro Reply with quote

I'm not a person who uses zooms much preferring primes, but this one screamed bargain at £10. It is a Sun Auto Zoom 85-210 f3.8 macro. Perfect condition with everything working as it should.

I know Sun are a good make, this appears to have a constant aperture and the macro gets pretty close easily as an extension of the focusing - albeit with its own ring.

A useful lens I'd say. Anyone here got an opinion or perhaps more info?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later lens than the Sun zooms I am used to. The original 85-210 two touch was an f/4.8.
This one is much later and something else entirely.
Sun can be very variable.
Sometimes excellent (well, for its time. there has been progress), often very good, often very mediocre.
In zooms it was quite often very innovative.
And seems to have quite a lot of sample variation too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks special, with that extra ring for macro-focusing.
Never seen that before.
The lens appears to be in good condition, but if it gives a good IQ is,
after the words of luisalegria using is the only way that can tell if it is an OK lens.
At least it wasn't an expensive gamble. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Later lens than the Sun zooms I am used to. The original 85-210 two touch was an f/4.8.
This one is much later and something else entirely.
Sun can be very variable.
Sometimes excellent (well, for its time. there has been progress), often very good, often very mediocre.
In zooms it was quite often very innovative.
And seems to have quite a lot of sample variation too.

Agreed. Upon seeing the OP I immediately, and wrongly, assumed it was a YS-85, a good (but ubiquitous) lens which I own (who doesn't! Smile)

Well, that's no YS-85. I don't even think that's a YS mount; it appears to be a fixed mount.

Regardless, it's a beautiful lens I've never run across prior. Thanks to the OP for posting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it appears to be fixed mount Canon FD. I'll give it a run next week, I have a few Canon FD lenses that need 'testing'