Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sun 60-135/3.5 zoom - 1970's Bling !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Sun 60-135/3.5 zoom - 1970's Bling ! Reply with quote

I picked this up for a song - all right, a couple of bucks. By some weird coincidence I just got it yesterday, and this morning Rino asks about it - http://forum.mflenses.com/sun-zoom-t10913.html

Here it is with its big brothers, the 70-210/4 (Aetna brand) and the mighty 80-240/4

Sun Optical was an odd lens maker. They were there almost at the beginning of the third party lens business in the early 1950's, with very nice quality optics for Leicas and Exaktas. Later they seemed to have gotten into a business model where they had to add an extra - some trick or gimmick - to their products. So they made a lot of odd things. They specialized in consumer zooms from the 1960's onwards - all with some odd quality. They were always small, but they seem to have sold a lot of lenses into the US market under their brand or under the Aetna label, there are always several Suns on US ebay.

The 1970's line seems to have depended mainly on styling, and the 60-135 short zoom may be the ultimate in cheap bling. Satin chrome and an absurd number of knurled rings and switches, it looks like something that should have been launched into space with Apollo 13, or starred in Space:1999. It just screams that its owner is a particularly silly amateur with no taste, who probably wears his flowered shirt open to his navel to show off the medallion on his chest hair. Yes, I remember those days.

Unlike its big brothers, this one is in fixed M42 and not YS, but there may be a YS version. Among its features, this lens may be unique in having a flash calculator - you set ASA and the flash guide number on the bottom, and as you turn the aperture ring it gives you the flash distance. I have never seen anything like it on a lens. It is otherwise a conventional two-touch zoom with constant aperture, but it doesn't hold focus while zooming. Like the other Suns it does have a very nice manual-auto switch and an excellent sliding hood.

But did our unsophisticated disco-dancing buyer with great big sideburns and no taste regret his decision ? Assuming that he was able to work his camera at all, I don't think so.

Under all the bling and silliness, this is actually a pretty nice lens. It is reasonably sharp at f/3.5 and as good as my sensor can manage by f/5.6. And it has excellent contrast - too much, possibly. It does not suffer from flare or glare or other deficiencies. I was getting sharp pictures from the beginning, it is one of those lenses that seems to snap into focus for me - maybe the high contrast does it ?

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Photos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how you do it ! Everything always looks great.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding quality!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, very nice pics, as always you do, Luis.

How much did you pay for the sun zoom?

Enjoy. Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.. very nice...

hey got white "L" lens....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rino,

$2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good for you, Luis. Very Happy

For $2 ? At this price I can't buy 1 Kg. of bread here. Crying or Very sad

The few seller in Argentina need to sell in the expensive way because they sell in one little market.

Any lens, no less than $ 50. Well Rino, don't cry.

Regards Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis between you and Koji
It is like we have professional level presentations every day.
This group will be experts on so many lenses in no time.
A great service Kudos!
Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, pretty good shots. The lens performs quite well and skill did it.
I have never seen those lenses, the name "sun" was known to me.

Of course we cannot underestimate those oldy lenses, eh. Shocked
Otherwise this forum wont be here. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

No.6 photo has Coit-Tower? (Maybe its spelling is incorrect.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Luis!!

Did you have another pics with this lovely zoom ?

I'm trying to Knock out the seller's price $ 45. It's high. If the lens performer as you show us, I will pay .

If you have more pics, send to us, please.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rino,

Its not bad, but its not really special. You could just as well get something like the Kiron 85-205/3.8 (under many names), they are very common and just as good.

I can send you 2000x3000 jepegs if you like, I just need your email.

Luis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis. All that you said was enough.

Thanks. Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found recently a wide angle Sun zoom : 24~40mm f:3.5~4.5 + macro in YS changeable mount. It's huge (72mm front filter) and eavy (600 gr).

Some says it's a Tokina lens, ancestor of the 24~40mm f:2.8 ATX.

Seems very soft wide open on the viewfinder (I had in in Minolta MC mount and take some shot on film with it but not yet developed).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could I miss this amazing thread? Shocked
Congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Flor,

That 24-40 would be a late product by Sun, possibly mid-late 1970's. It would probably be in the same series I have. Could you post a picture ?

I have pages from 1981 and 1983 Sun catalogs that shows a 24-45/3.5-4.5 with a 62mm filter. That may have replaced your model.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Flor,

That 24-40 would be a late product by Sun, possibly mid-late 1970's. It would probably be in the same series I have. Could you post a picture ?

I have pages from 1981 and 1983 Sun catalogs that shows a 24-45/3.5-4.5 with a 62mm filter. That may have replaced your model.

Hi Luis,

Sorry, no pics of mine : kept it one week than sold the same price I got it (20 €).
Here is another one : http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=342416

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its articles like this that make me wish I could read Japanese !

So many mysteries could be unravelled immediately.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do I... Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about distortion at 24/35 mm?

It seem to be nice lens.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to distort a little bit, will know as soon as I will develop the films.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Its articles like this that make me wish I could read Japanese !

So many mysteries could be unravelled immediately.

It's Chinese. I can't read it neither Sad

But here's Google translation to it.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.xitek.com%2Fshowarchives.php%3Fthreadid%3D342416&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bawang wrote:
luisalegria wrote:
Its articles like this that make me wish I could read Japanese ! So many mysteries could be unravelled immediately.

It's Chinese. I can't read it neither Sad

Luis. Sure, you are a traslator man. Laughing Laughing

Enjoy, Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find sample test Sun
on 3-4 meter, on see bokeh