Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sun 24-xx lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Sun 24-xx lenses Reply with quote

I've seen:

(1) 24-40mm f/3.5
(2) 24-45mm f/3.5-4.5 (also with Soligor)

But recently here is another one: 24-42mm f/3.5. I've never seen it before with Sun.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sun-Macro-Zoom-Lens-24-42mm-for-Canon-FD/183604534475

Too bad seller ended the list earlier and claimed sold to neighbor.

You guys seen it before?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't handled one, but I have seen it badged as a Hoya brand lens, which is slightly unusual in itself, as Hoya lenses seemed mostly to be Tokina manufactured. I do have 2 copies of the 24-40, one with a YS mount (I saw the second one cheap and couldn't resist a bid). The two copies were slightly different (different focus scale numbering) and the YS mount one, which I paid the most money for, didn't focus to infinity properly. The cheaper fixed mount version did, and was optically quite reasonable for an early attempt at a wide angle zoom.

p.s. isn't it annoying when the auction gets cancelled early. I practically had an 8 element Pentax 50 in my grasp not long ago, when the auction got 'cancelled'. I would say the seller worked out what it was actually worth...

edit: the lens you linked to looks quite different than the Hoya version, which bore a strong resemblance to the Sun 24-40 original version. It's difficult to say whether it is the same optically, especially since the Hoya has a constant aperture and the Sun 24-42 does not.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
I haven't handled one, but I have seen it badged as a Hoya brand lens, which is slightly unusual in itself, as Hoya lenses seemed mostly to be Tokina manufactured. I do have 2 copies of the 24-40, one with a YS mount (I saw the second one cheap and couldn't resist a bid). The two copies were slightly different (different focus scale numbering) and the YS mount one, which I paid the most money for, didn't focus to infinity properly. The cheaper fixed mount version did, and was optically quite reasonable for an early attempt at a wide angle zoom.

p.s. isn't it annoying when the auction gets cancelled early. I practically had an 8 element Pentax 50 in my grasp not long ago, when the auction got 'cancelled'. I would say the seller worked out what it was actually worth...

edit: the lens you linked to looks quite different than the Hoya version, which bore a strong resemblance to the Sun 24-40 original version. It's difficult to say whether it is the same optically, especially since the Hoya has a constant aperture and the Sun 24-42 does not.

Thanks for the information. I myself have the 24-40/3.5 YS mount. In macro mode, it is decent wide open. I also have the 24-45mm in Soligor brand. It looks like Hoya does have a 24-42mm f/3.5. But, yes, it has a constant aperture.

Well, hopefully such a lens jumps out again so I can grab it. I guess it is close to Sun's own 24-45mm.

Yes, very annoying seller ended earlier with excuses. Kind of wasted my time. Sad