Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Strange Konica F mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Strange Konica F mount Reply with quote

I recently got a Konica FM camera with this lens attached. A misterious one it is: preset, closes up to f22 (no mention to this particular version in buhla website) but instead of the traditional konishiroku name, it already says Konica Hexanon. Plus, that is a weird F-mount... the protruding "hook" is not in the mount block but a screwed in little metal piece. The mount "teeth" are strange, not the usual F-mount ones. And, finally, there is a round, twisted, flat piece acting as a little spring.
Is it an original mount? A variation of the old F-mount?

I have not tried the lens yet, hopefully will be able to do so next week.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that even a Konica mount? Looks like something someone botched onto it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was originally a Konica AR-mount 35/2.8 ARP lens, as is indicated by the SN beginning with 821xxxx, and this is why it says Konica Hexanon on the front ring, not Konishiroku Hexanon, as with all F-mount lenses. The SN for the F-mount 35/2.8 lenses began with 813 (the auto aperture ones) and 814 (the preset ones). Someone clumsily tried to modify the mount into something that I won't try to identify. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
This was originally a Konica AR-mount 35/2.8 ARP lens, as is indicated by the SN beginning with 821xxxx, and this is why it says Konica Hexanon on the front ring, not Konishiroku Hexanon, as with all F-mount lenses. The SN for the F-mount 35/2.8 lenses began with 813 (the auto aperture ones) and 814 (the preset ones). Someone clumsily tried to modify the mount into something that I won't try to identify. Smile

Thanks. Now I see another post with an identical lens.... and AR mount. So probably someone had a FM camera and adapted the AR lens to it, instead of buying a new camera. Who knows if the flange distance will be correct now!
Good thing... maybe I can revert the change using an old, broken lens as a mount donor. Probably not, but I will look into it if the flange distance gives me problems.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zamo wrote:
Thanks. Now I see another post with an identical lens.... and AR mount. So probably someone had a FM camera and adapted the AR lens to it, instead of buying a new camera. Who knows if the flange distance will be correct now!
Good thing... maybe I can revert the change using an old, broken lens as a mount donor. Probably not, but I will look into it if the flange distance gives me problems.

The flange distance of the two Konica mounts (F and AR) is the same (40.5mm), so it would probably be enough to get a mounting plate from another Hexanon AR lens, preferably from the same period (second half of the 1960s) and things should fall into place. Good thing this is a preset lens, so there is no aperture actuating mechanism to repair. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:

The flange distance of the two Konica mounts (F and AR) is the same (40.5mm), so it would probably be enough to get a mounting plate from another Hexanon AR lens, preferably from the same period (second half of the 1960s) and things should fall into place. Good thing this is a preset lens, so there is no aperture actuating mechanism to repair. Smile

That's right! Taking a closer look, the mount piece is screwed into the barrel but it is not perfectly round. Now it seems clear that it is hand-made! And one of the screws is missing because the hole in the new mount piece does not align perfectly with the hole below... Smile Still, I will try to buy an old lens to take the mount from it. Right now I only have a spare one, but on F-mount.
By the way, the diaphragm has 10-12 blades... makes a beautifully rounded aperture. I am now anxious to compare the results of this lens and the newer Hexanon 35 2.8 with rubber grip.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky find, I've been looking for a preset 35 in AR for a while now if you should wish to pass it along, pm me.
I have an FP with a 52/1.4 and 35/2.8(non-preset) to trade if interested.