Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Stony Brook Crown Reserve, on the Southwest Miramichi river
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Stony Brook Crown Reserve, on the Southwest Miramichi river Reply with quote

There aren't many notable things in New Brunswick Canada, but we do have some great Atlantic Salmon rivers.

Most good spots are privately owned, but several big stretches are owned by the province (i.e. the Crown). Every spring, New Brunswickers can enter a lottery to get a stretch of salmon river for 48 hours. My buddies and I enter religiously and we've had good luck, perhaps because we ask for the remote spots with the worst roads Laughing

This year is a bad one for salmon fishing. Lack of rain has left the water low and too warm for the salmon. Many stretches are closed to fishing, and the rest don't have any fish in them. There's (hopefully!) a big crowd of salmon still out to sea waiting for the water to cool down so they can start their migration. But of course you can't predict this when you enter the draw in early spring, and we weren't about to relinquish our appointed stretch on our appointed dates, fish or no fish.

In between beverages and BBQ I managed a few pictures. All taken with Zeiss 50/1.7 Planar.

1) low water on the river's edge

2) across the stream

3) looking upstream

I'm not sure about the last one But after putting the waders on and going out midstream to get the shot I at least want to hear what people think.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures, but I would have chosen to lay the sharpness a bit nearer in the last one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 is my favourite but I think the image would have been stronger if the foreground rocks on the left were in focus. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
#2 is my favourite but I think the image would have been stronger if the foreground rocks on the left were in focus. Smile

+1 + I think you should have stopped down more (I guess you used an ND filter?). Rocks in the foreground are too soft.
Great place! But next time, wait for better weather to get more contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I rarely get to remote stretches of prime salmon river but there's a dozen equally photogenic streams and rivers within half an hour's drive, I'll continue to practice this kind of shot and keep any advice in mind.

Minolfan wrote:
Nice pictures, but I would have chosen to lay the sharpness a bit nearer in the last one.

I thought about that, but the camera was only a foot above the water and if I'd gone too close my DOF would have been very shallow. Of course I should have tried it anyway, at least then I'd know for sure Rolling Eyes

DigiChromeEd wrote:
#2 is my favourite but I think the image would have been stronger if the foreground rocks on the left were in focus.

This is actually a crop, Smile there were more softish rocks on the left hand side I left a few there to frame the image. Perhaps it was a mistake.

-=-=-=-

I'd been looking forward to this trip for a while and had some shots planned, but sometimes I get brain cramp in the heat of the moment and shoot by instinct, and I'm not technically sound enough to get get consistent results that way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

+1 + I think you should have stopped down more (I guess you used an ND filter?). Rocks in the foreground are too soft.
Great place! But next time, wait for better weather to get more contrast.

No ND filter, I was in a deep valley shooting in shadows. The first two were in the evening in fading light and the last in (relatively) early morning.

The shots are at f/8 or so.

What kind of weather would bring better contrast? For that matter which shot needs contrast, I didn't touch contrast in PP, just a little exposure adjustment and mild sharpening.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Film shots from the same time and place - http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1252952.html#1252952