Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Still looking for my "perfect" 50/55mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Still looking for my "perfect" 50/55mm Reply with quote

I'm narrowing down the search for my "perfect" 50/55mm, but it's hard. Smile

I might have a candidate, but it's a rare lens (no-X has it and says it's the sharpest 50mm in M42). In the meantime I got a cheap Rikenon XR 50mm f2, since urban legend says it's one of the sharpest 50mm ever produced: I can attest it's sharp, as sharp as the Flek 35/2.4, but its colors are not as good as those from Zeiss or Pentax lenses (at least from the few shots I took), and its oof areas are a bit nervous and flat, not as 3d looking as other more reputable lenses. Its sharpness makes it very easy to focus though, and that alone makes it a really nice lens. I also got a second SMC Takumar, this time a super cheap 55/2, and while I absolutely love its bokeh, colours and 3d-like rendering, it's definitely less sharp than the Rikenon (both my copies, the 1.8 and 2, are) and this makes it harder to focus and results in less detailed pictures.

So, bar the mistery lens above which I'm actively looking for, what could I try that is *really* sharp (as in, much sharper than the SMC Tak 55/1.8 or /2), has the same 3d feel as the better Zeiss or Pentax lenses, and mounts on a Pentax DSLR? Probably the Pancolar MC, but they tend to fetch absurdly high prices. Or the old Nikkor non-AI 50/2. Both of those are on my to-get list, when I manage to find them at good prices.

Edit: I dread the time when I'll start looking for my "perfect" 24mm, as they cost much more than the 50s. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am looking, too, ludoo. i like oddball stuff. my "working" normal is a good takumar 55/2. thinking i might try a helios 44m-4. i liked what the preset helios version did, but i don't like preset in a lens that gets most of the work. and i like compactness. the tak 55/2 is pretty stinking compact. i liked very much my pentacon 1.8 until the auto aperture mechanism went south ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted, I don't have the collection some on here do but I do have two in the 50 range that I love. One is the Mamiya Sekor 55 1.4. It has very smooth bokeh and gives me wonderful colors. It's the last lens featured in this clip....

http://vimeo.com/10197920

My new favorite though is my third 50 mm: the Helios 44M. It's a Russian copy of the Carl Zeiss design and goes for dirt cheap on Ebay.....

http://vimeo.com/10942299

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added my first pictures from a Mamiya 55mm to a post by that name.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Helios and the Mamiya 1.4. The Helios is nice, both the 44M-2 which has a similar rendering to the SMC Tak 55/1.8 with less sharpness, and the 44M-6 which is very sharp and has nervous bokeh. Their main problem is a tendency to flare and consequent loss of contrast.

I did not use the Mamiya enough to form a definitive opinion, from the few pics I took it seems a nice lens, sharp and with great bokeh. But it's too big and heavy to use as a main lens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Still looking for my "perfect" 50/55mm Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
So, bar the mistery lens above which I'm actively looking for, what could I try that is *really* sharp (as in, much sharper than the SMC Tak 55/1.8 or /2), has the same 3d feel as the better Zeiss or Pentax lenses, and mounts on a Pentax DSLR? Probably the Pancolar MC, but they tend to fetch absurdly high prices. Or the old Nikkor non-AI 50/2. Both of those are on my to-get list, when I manage to find them at good prices.

They don't come much sharper than SMC Takumar 55/1.8 Smile Seriously, this is a very nice lens, one of the best fifty-somethings in my collection (and I have quite a few of them).

As you have a Pentax, you may want to consider K-mount Pentax lenses, such as SMC Pentax-A 50/1.7, which is a seriously good lens. I had a copy of SMC Pentax-M 50/2, and it was a nice sharp lens, too (probably as good as your Rikenon), but the 1.7 is better yet.

I have Nikkor 50/2, 50/1.8 and 50/1.4; the f/1.4 is the best of the bunch; the 50/2 and 50/1.8 are NO BETTER than SMC Takumar 55/1.8 or 55/2, while the f/1.4 is sharper wide open than SMC Takumar 50/1.4, but does not render quite as nicely. With access to nice Pentax K glass, I wouldn't bother with Nikkor fifties.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Planar 50 f1.7 is the best 50mm lens.If you get a sharp copy it's nothing that beats it at f1.7 and it gives good 3D feel and nice colors.
Poor minimum focusing distance is the only negative.
Very Happy Very Happy
And I have tried many 50mm lenses

3 Pancolar.2 Pentacon,Zeiss ZK 50mm f1.4, 2 Pentax Fa50 f1.4,Pentax FA 50 f1.7,Pentax A 50 f1.4,Pentax A 50 f1.7,Pentax M50 f1.7,Pentax M 50 f1.4,Pentax K 55 f1.8,Takumar 50mm f1.4,Helios 77M4;Helios 44M-7,Zenitar K2,Voigtlander 58mm f1.4,

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And off the Pentax 50mm lenses, the A series is the best .....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Still looking for my "perfect" 50/55mm Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
They don't come much sharper than SMC Takumar 55/1.8 Smile Seriously, this is a very nice lens, one of the best fifty-somethings in my collection (and I have quite a few of them).

Well, I have two and I love everything about them, except for the fact that they are not really sharp. Or that I consistently have problems focusing them, which I don't have with other lenses and has the same end result anyway.

Quote:
As you have a Pentax, you may want to consider K-mount Pentax lenses, such as SMC Pentax-A 50/1.7, which is a seriously good lens. I had a copy of SMC Pentax-M 50/2, and it was a nice sharp lens, too (probably as good as your Rikenon), but the 1.7 is better yet.

I had two M 1.7, the same lens as the A 1.7, and I sold both of them. Nice lenses, nothing exceptional about them. I prefer the Tak 55/1.8.

Zeeke wrote:
Zeiss Planar 50 f1.7 is the best 50mm lens.If you get a sharp copy it's nothing that beats it at f1.7 and it gives good 3D feel and nice colors.

Yes, that would be on top of my list if I could mount it on my Pentax. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the pentax 55/1.8 is the same as the 55/2. just a little do-dad that stops it from opening to 1.8. hey ludoo, could your focusing issue have something to do with your focusing screen? my spotmatic is difficult for me to focus, the praktica better. my fujica st605 is EASY to focus ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
yes, the pentax 55/1.8 is the same as the 55/2. just a little do-dad that stops it from opening to 1.8. hey ludoo, could your focusing issue have something to do with your focusing screen? my spotmatic is difficult for me to focus, the praktica better. my fujica st605 is EASY to focus ...

Well, it could be the focusing screen, but I don't think so: I have both a split image screen and a matte screen, and I checked them for focus accuracy using the standard methods (shooting a ruler with the camera at 45 degrees, etc.). I will however put them on my st605 in the future, as it might be a compatibility problem with my DSLR.

I have to mention that by "not really sharp" I'm not saying that pictures are blurred: at standard magnifications they look ok, but looking at pixel size however, you see that they are not really sharp. And it's something that detracts from the image as a whole, there's a certain snap in images that are sharp at pixel level. And sharp lenses are also easier to focus, at least for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Increase your budget and lens will be sharp really.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Attila, that's not really helpful. Smile

What could I buy with an increased budget, that fits my Pentax? Or you mean I should get a G1 (at 399 now with the kit lens at the corner store) and use my Konica AR lenses? Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Contax Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.7 for my Pentax K-x,an simple but expensive conversion...

http://www.leitax.com/zeiss-contax-lens-for-pentax-cameras.html

Last edited by Zeeke on Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm. it may well be an issue with the dslr over the slr.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeeke wrote:
I have Contax Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.7 for my Pentax K-x,an simple but expensive conversion...

http://www.leitax.com/zeiss-contax-lens-for-pentax-cameras.html

Oh, right. Smile

If I think a few 1.7 Planars were sold by a local store for little money lately, I want to hit myself on the head for forgetting about the Leitax conversions. Thanks for reminding me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Attila wrote:

Attila, that's not really helpful. Smile

What could I buy with an increased budget, that fits my Pentax? Or you mean I should get a G1 (at 399 now with the kit lens at the corner store) and use my Konica AR lenses? Smile

Smile Surely Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Still looking for my "perfect" 50/55mm Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
I'm narrowing down the search for my "perfect" 50/55mm, but it's hard. Smile

No its not...The Canon FL 55mm f1.2 is that lens! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why i like my super takumar 55/2:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot fish Very Happy

I'm waiting on delivery of a Helios 44M - can't wait to try it out...!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GORGEOUS image, fish. That is a night (moon-illuminated) image, is it not?

It made my german/portuguese wife speak perfect french: "It has that Mise-en-scène" she said. Then she had to tell me what that means. Smile

(After 30 years she's still full of surprises).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very kind, cheeky, and your wife's compliment brings a smile to my heart.
The shot was made in early morning this month, just as the sun barely peeked over the trees across the creek. I have shot that scene with several different combinations.

Here is the first iteration, shot on a very cold morning in February, I think, with my Bessa R and Industar-50, on bw400cn, the same film as above. As you can see, I have trouble keeping the horizontals and verticals straight with my rangefinder Crying or Very sad :

Last edited by fish4570 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:21 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a bunch of 50s in the past; slowly pruning away. I even donated my Super-Tak 50/1.4 to my roommate/apprentice (lol) since I got a hold of the AF version (FA 50/1.4). A couple that I will never let go are the Voigtländer Color-Ultron 50/1.8 and the Carl Zeiss Ultron 50/1.8 (although the Zeiss Ultron may one day be *upgraded* to a better copy, as mine has some slight rust-on-aperture-blades issue).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant really count the lots of 50/55mm lenses i did own and tested for which fits best..

Two of the following i kept in my pocket as the best besides two others...
(Summilux 1.4/50mm and Canon 1.2/55mm SSC fits best, Summicron stays and the SMC Pentax 1.4/50mm too)

My personal ranking:

1. Leica Summilux 1.4/50mm
2. Canon 1.2/55mm SSC
3. SMC Pentax 1.2/50mm
4. Leica Summicron 2/50mm
5. Yashica ML 1.2/55mm
6. SMC Pentax-M 1.4/50mm
7. Yashica DS-M 1.4/50mm
8. Zuiko 1.4/50mm
9. Rikenon Mamya 1.4/55mm
10. CZJ Pancolar 1.8/50mm Zebra (tested all versions)

Further i tested lots of lenses from friends or i did have owned..

Tomioka 1.2/55mm
Minolta PG 1.2/58mm
Yashica ML 1.4/50mm
Zeiss Planar 1.7/50mm
Zeiss HFT Planar 1.4/50mm
Voigtländer C.Ultron 1.4/55mm (?)
Zeiss Ultron 1,8 (Tronnier) in M42 for Icarex TM

and lots more..

nearly all cheap lenses which fits on my Canon's

So Attila is right, take a bit money in your hand, buy lenses and test which one fits best for your needs..

There is no 50/55mm which fits or cover all needs..

The Summilux gives the best Bokeh/sharpness/contrast/colorendering and its an alltime classic lens..
The Canon SSC 1.2/55mm fits for my needs in a fast lens, not in terms of Bokeh..

To find a lens, which delivers you all, what you want and wish from one single lens, is nearly impossible. IMHO you need 3 or 4 lenses for different things..

But if you are searching for the best compromise, take the SMC Pentax-M 1.2/50mm. Its nice in Bokeh, sharpness and colorendering and very fast.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
A couple that I will never let go are the Voigtländer Color-Ultron 50/1.8 and the Carl Zeiss Ultron 50/1.8 (although the Zeiss Ultron may one day be *upgraded* to a better copy, as mine has some slight rust-on-aperture-blades issue).

I just acquired a Voigtlander Color Ultron thanks to Carsten (LucisPictor) who bought it for me on German ebay. Based on what I have read, it might be my "perfect" 50mm. And at a great price too. What is it that you like about yours?

hinnerker wrote:
I cant really count the lots of 50/55mm lenses i did own and tested for which fits best..

Henry, thanks for the detailed answer. I'm sure I'd love a Leitz lens, I've been convinced for a while that my tastes go to German glass. Unfortunately they are a bit on the expensive side for me, especially considering the extra cost for the Leitax adapter. And the same goes for the 1.2 lenses. Before spending several hundred on a lens I'd like to update my body to a 5D, and this won't be too soon either. But there are great lenses around at relatively cheap prices (one example the Flek 35/2.4), and that's what I'd like to find. Then as funds allow I'll look for superb replacements for the good lenses I have.

Quote:

9. Rikenon Mamya 1.4/55mm
10. CZJ Pancolar 1.8/50mm Zebra (tested all versions)

I have those two, but somehow I did not fall in love with them (yet, maybe).