Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil Quinon 50mm f/2.0 M42 (Sonnar design) on A7RII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Steinheil Quinon 50mm f/2.0 M42 (Sonnar design) on A7RII Reply with quote

An uncommon lens, made in 1954, with M42 sunken mount. It has the same optics as the LTM mount version. Unlike the other Quinon 50/55mm, this lens is in Sonnar design instead of double Gauss design.

My initial impression on this lens is positive. It has the typical Sonnar bokeh. The edges performance on Sony camera are not good as expected. The color seems more balanced than the 1955 Jupiter-8 I have tried.

The samples below are converted from raw to jpeg using the standard profile with no cropping in adobe lightroom. Charity and vibrance both set to +16. Click to enlarge the photos.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Steinheil Quinon 50mm f/2.0 M42 (Sonnar design) on A7RII Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
An uncommon lens, made in 1954, with M42 sunken mount. It has the same optics as the LTM mount version. Unlike the other Quinon 50/55mm, this lens is in Sonnar design instead of double Gauss design.

My initial impression on this lens is positive. It has the typical Sonnar bokeh. The edges performance on Sony camera are not good as expected. The color seems more balanced than the 1955 Jupiter-8 I have tried.

The samples below are converted from raw to jpeg using the standard profile with no cropping in adobe lightroom. Charity and vibrance both set to +16. Click to enlarge the photos.

Great captures - I like the look and colors! 👍

I don‘t have a lot of experience with Sonnars, but I like the ones I‘ve used. That being said I often don‘t care too much about edge performance…

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Steinheil Quinon 50mm f/2.0 M42 (Sonnar design) on A7RII Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

Great captures - I like the look and colors! 👍

I don‘t have a lot of experience with Sonnars, but I like the ones I‘ve used. That being said I often don‘t care too much about edge performance…

Thanks!

Me too. I am a big fan of sonnar/ernostar. For 50mm, I will use a double Gauss lens when I need sharp edges.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see a comparison of normal Sonnar lenses including this lens, Asahi 58/2, Jena, Juptier, Zeiss, etc.. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I would like to see a comparison of normal Sonnar lenses including this lens, Asahi 58/2, Jena, Juptier, Zeiss, etc.. Smile

Doing lens comparisons are not my cup of tea. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, more important to me than a results comparison, I'd like to hear from anybody who has used many sonnars. Impressions, perceptions, tendencies, strengths, weaknesses, differences, recommendations, etc.. MFLensers can share their unique experiences looking through many lenses. Although illustrative results would be fantastic. Now my lens acquisition fever is aroused Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From triplet, tessar, sonnar/ennostar, double gauss to retrofocus, a series of lens review is planned in my to-do list on my blog which will include details of each lens I would recommand. Since I am working on a big project right now(details on MFL Advanced Members Discussion Board), I will continue writing lens review after I finished the first part of the project.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the same as the lens from this thread? http://forum.mflenses.com/steinheil-mnchen-quinon-50mm-f2-t80865.html

Has anyone ever worked out what camera it was made to fit? It doesn't seem like it would work on an M42 SLR normally.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Actually, more important to me than a results comparison, I'd like to hear from anybody who has used many sonnars. Impressions, perceptions, tendencies, strengths, weaknesses, differences, recommendations, etc.. MFLensers can share their unique experiences looking through many lenses. Although illustrative results would be fantastic. Now my lens acquisition fever is aroused Embarassed

Sounds interesting! - I don't have a lot of experience with Sonnars/Sonnar-like lenses, but if you create a thread for the topic you describe above, I can mention my favorites in that category and perhaps add a couple of images as well. Don't want to distract with that in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
Is it the same as the lens from this thread? http://forum.mflenses.com/steinheil-mnchen-quinon-50mm-f2-t80865.html

Has anyone ever worked out what camera it was made to fit? It doesn't seem like it would work on an M42 SLR normally.

Yes.

The Steinheil Culminon 75/1.5 is unlikely work on an M42 SLR too unless with mirror lockup.