Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil Munchen Quinar VL 135mm 2.8-How to unscrew?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Steinheil Munchen Quinar VL 135mm 2.8-How to unscrew? Reply with quote

Hi, I`ve read on Will Nemski s site that you can unscrew the lens head on this to fit to an M39 bellows. Unfortunately he doesn`t explain how and I don`t want to start messing with mine unless its basically a straightforward twist (left loosey!) of said head.

The reason for doing this is to allow access to the rear element to give it a clean, someone has previously cleaned it using a dirtyish cloth by the looks of it, other wise its in VGC. I think it`s affecting the contrast slightly and suspect someone has removed the head before hence that`s how the dirt got there.

Anyone took the head off their Quinar?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Grip the part above the aperture ring and unscrew it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Calvin83, much cleaner now!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an old, grubby, silver Quinar 135 2.8 that really needs some cleaning. A little haze on the front of the front element, but more a problem with grime and some fungus. Overall it just needs a good scrubbing to bring it back to life, I think.

I've gotten the optical block unscrewed and separated without a problem, but I need to remove the rearmost element, and I can't see a clear way to do it. I'd be thankful for any advice on that (I'll be trying in the meantime).

The focusing is completely locked-up, so I'll be working on that as well. Luckily it's isolated in the rear tube of the body. It doesn't look -too- complicated at first glance, but it's early to say for sure.

I'm hopeful I can resurrect this cool old lens.

BTW, is the filter thread really 54mm? I have a 54mm step-up ring but it doesn't seem to fit.

calvin83 wrote:
Yes. Grip the part above the aperture ring and unscrew it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is designed to use Series VII filter which is roughly 54mmx0.75 according to data I have.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I picked up this lens again and I managed to get the retaining ring off the rear element finally. I used a rubber ring over a balloon after loosening it with solvent.

Balloons are my favorite lens utility tool. They so often come in handy!