Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil München Quinar 2.8/135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Steinheil München Quinar 2.8/135 Reply with quote

Well,
Thanks to Klaus and the forum's Marketplace, coming back from vacation I found this beautiful lens at home.

First of all, it seems in very good condition. Effectively, it is working very well on a mechanical point of view.
Then, I looked inside it with direct light as the seller wrote that there are some pollutions inside. Hmmm... no fungus but dust and a little haze.

As it is, I decided to mount it and gave it a try. Wide open, it seems quite soft in full light (haze effect ?). After closing it some stops, it renders far better. It's a pleasure to shoot with it and I would like to be able to open it and clean it well.

Attila, could you please tell me how to service it ?

Great lens and beautiful !
Aperture from F2.8 to F32.
Minimum focusing distance : 1 meter !!! What a difference with the Pentacon 135 f2.8 wich minimum distance is 1,70m.
Preset system very smooth and efficient for manual focus.

I prepare some shots and come back... Wink
OK, here they are, all on 40D at Iso 200.

1- Flower wide open at F2.8

2- Kittie at F4

3- Kittie at F8

4- Roses at F2.8

same at F8

5- Rose close view, wide open F2.8

6- 3D view Bokeh at F2.8

Same at F8

7- Leaves 3D view Bokeh at F2.8

Same at F32

Cheers
Olivier Smile

Last edited by Olivier on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice and lively looking lens - the kitty has good natural detail, and the transition out of focus is very smooth. Nice lens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. Lots of detail from this nice looking lens! The bokeh looks nice too, at least to my eyes. Congratulations with this nice find (or you should thank Klaus a little more Smile)

Last edited by Spotmatic on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes! - very nice !

I love the bokeh too! and the blue colour of the eyes of the cat.. - wow..

tf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! This lens one of the sharpest lens what I have include Contax 135mm 2.8, Olympus etc. I don't think so need to open and clean it immediately. Make more shoots and if you love it , don't make risk with servicing. One times I opened a 85mm f2.8 Steinheil to fix it's aperture problem I couldn't fix it and couldn't build back either ... They used 10x more screws than other makers. It was a nasty construction inside really I wish to throw out...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all and, again, a special GREAT THANK YOU VERY MUCH KLAUS !!! Smile

Attila, I'll follow your advice as I already lost a lens by trying to clean haze...

About Bokeh, I do agree. This is a 10 blades' diaph.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most welcome!! The results look REALLY good and I would not pay too much attention to the haze - if it does not show too much (as lack of contrast). Opening a lens is a tricky thing at times and after having virtually destroyed a few, I gave that up and only into the hands of profesionals!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Most welcome!! The results look REALLY good and I would not pay too much attention to the haze - if it does not show too much (as lack of contrast). Opening a lens is a tricky thing at times and after having virtually destroyed a few, I gave that up and only into the hands of profesionals!!

Fully agree! Easy to fix contrast in post processing if need.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Steinheil München Quinar 2.8/135 Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
As it is, I decided to mount it and gave it a try. Wide open, it seems quite soft in full light (haze effect ?). After closing it some stops, it renders far better. It's a pleasure to shoot with it and I would like to be able to open it and clean it well.

I agree with the above; don't open this superb lens unless you really have to. (If you do, though, take pictures as you go along, first to help you put it back together properly, and second to post here for the rest of us.) Experiment a bit, and see what you can do to the low contrast in post-processing.

This is definitely one of my favourite 135mm's, the bokeh is among the best and the minimum focusing distance is met only by a few old lenses of this length (although admittedly the CZJ Sonnar 135mm f/3.5 does it in a much smaller package).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.
Thanks Arkku.

And, following Attila's advice :
High-Res pics there

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely lens. I have had quite bad luck with two versions of the 135/4.5 Culminar Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! nice lens, perfect 100% samples even at 2.8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Lovely lens. I have had quite bad luck with two versions of the 135/4.5 Culminar Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

patrickh

What was your problem with them ? Please share with us!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this before. Taken on the Canon 40D and M42 adapter. Elk:

You can see how soft it is. My second copy is little better. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps your lens was budget level lens from same maker. I guess from speed difference.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably right Attila. I think the "Qui***" series is the top of the line and the "Cul**" series below that.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier. My copy is sharp from wide open and the contrast is pretty good already at F2.8. I would say the softness might be cause the haze and dust inside the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Calvin.
I managed to clean haze. It's a beautiful and wonderful lens !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Calvin.
I managed to clean haze a bit.