Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Standard zoom with non-rotating front element?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Standard zoom with non-rotating front element? Reply with quote

I been looking for a standard zoom (anywhere between 28 to 80) with non-rotating front element. It seems most lenses of this type like the common 35-70mm (or 28-50mm) rotates on focusing. Any recommendations?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick look through the dozen or so short zooms I've got only produces two lenses with a non rotating front end. One is the autofocus kit zoom Pentax 18-55 that came with my old Pentax K10 - which is a very good kit lens. But, for a manual focus lens the superb Vivitar Series 1 VMC 28-90 / 2.8 3.5 is everything you want, it's a superb lens.

( and I happen to have a Canon FD mount one for sale because I've got three of them Rolling Eyes )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a C/Y Vivitar S1 28-90 like Lloydy. I need a proper adapter for mine.
It seems that a rotating front was a very popular cost savings measure employed by nearly all manufacturers, it's generally one of my least liked features in lens design.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit wider range than a "standard" zoom, the Tamron Adaptall-2 28-200mm type 171A (NOT the more common 71A) has a non-rotating front element and should come with a "flower petal" type lens hood. The only down-side, the filter thread is 72mm. Nevertheless, a very fine lens!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I have a C/Y Vivitar S1 28-90 like Lloydy. I need a proper adapter for mine.
It seems that a rotating front was a very popular cost savings measure employed by nearly all manufacturers, it's generally one of my least liked features in lens design.

I looked at the Vivitar 28-90mm, it's huge! Not exactly ergonomic (or walkable for a long time) on a small mirrorless body. I'm hoping to find a small zoom like the nikkor 28-50mm but it also has a front rotating element Sad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took a look at all the zooms I own in that focal range and I found three:

The aforementioned Vivitar S1 28-90
The Vivitar S1 28-105 (replaced the 28-90 in the late '80s and not quite as good)
The Tamron SP 24-48 (an excellent lens -- compact, but with a limited focal range)

I can highly recommend the Vivitar 28-90 and the Tamron 24-48. The Vivitar 28-105 is a good lens, just not as good as the 28-90. But if you're looking for something small, relatively lightweight and compact, you might want to seriously consider that Tamron.

The Vivitar 28-90 was my walking around lens for years. That was back when I shot film and used old (and heavy) manual, mechanical SLRs. I didn't even think about how much it all weighed -- and I still try not to when I'm out shooting with the old stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pureaxis, I'm not a huge fan of zooms because they tend to be big compared to primes, or they have short ranges that are barely any more convenient than a prime.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makinon 28-80mm f/3.5. This lens is unusual by having the zoom ring on the top ring and the focus ring down by the mount.

On fullframe 28mm has heavy vignetting. 80mm is nice: https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/2403588625/download/3403489

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Olympus zuiko 35-70/3.6 that has a non-rotating front element. It was the second best standard zoom lens by Olympus next to the rare and much more expensive 35-80/2.8.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind something a little more wide-angle, look out for the Sigma 21-35mm. It's got a built-in lens hood, so swapping filters and using a polariser is a little more fiddly, but it's a nice piece of glass!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Makinon 28-80mm f/3.5. This lens is unusual by having the zoom ring on the top ring and the focus ring down by the mount.

On fullframe 28mm has heavy vignetting. 80mm is nice: https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/2403588625/download/3403489

I looked up this lens and it seems there are several versions of it. Do you know the specs of this one, is there a macro mode? what is the minimum focusing distance. It looks like its varifocal too?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one, it's constant aperture unlike other versions.

0.23m mfd, 1:4 macro. Don't remember if it's varifocal but I have found that most lenses have to be refocused anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably too bulky/heavy for you, but very interesting though. And affordable.
The Vivitar Series 1, 35-85mm, constant f2.8.
The front element rotates a little on zooming, but not on focusing. Definitely front heavy on m4/3.
Short focus throw, 90 degrees from infinity to closeup.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Vivitar S1 35-85 f/2.8. Sharpness is better described as softness when wide open. Stopped down to about f/8 or so and it's pretty decent. But it is a rather large and bulky lens because of its constant f/2.8 aperture.

I have two more lenses to add to your list of lenses to consider. They're both AF lenses, though. The Tamron 28-105mm f/4-5.6 AF (IF) and the SMC Pentax FA 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 -AL-. The Pentax came with a ZX-7 camera I picked up recently, and I suspect the two sold as an outfit, since the lens is a brushed chrome finish, same as the camera. The Tamron has the Pentax PK-A mount. If I had to guess, I'd date it from the early to mid-90s because it looks very similar to a Tamron 24-70mm zoom I bought back in 1994. Both lenses have large zoom collars but rather narrow focusing rings, but they can still be used as MF lenses without too much difficulty.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Pentax M 40-80 (2.8-4.0) is non-rotating to zoom. It does however rotate to focus.

Last edited by Sciolist on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:
I have an Olympus zuiko 35-70/3.6 that has a non-rotating front element. It was the second best standard zoom lens by Olympus next to the rare and much more expensive 35-80/2.8.

I have the 3.6 version as well, in my point of view, this is a very good lens, still affordable, not that complicate to found.

I have the Sun Wide 24-40mm 3.5, which was a good suprise, very cheap.

Last week I bought the SUN 38-90 macro, whew, built quality is amazing. Will test it soon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
My Pentax M 40-80 (2.8-4.0) is non-rotating.

So it doesn't rotate when zooming and focusing, I read that most push-pull zoom will rotate?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is safe to say the most zooms, regardless of whether they're two-ring or push-pull have rotating front elements. Non-rotating ones are the exception, it would appear.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pureaxis wrote:
Sciolist wrote:
My Pentax M 40-80 (2.8-4.0) is non-rotating.

So it doesn't rotate when zooming and focusing, I read that most push-pull zoom will rotate?

It's not a push-pull zoom pureaxis. Perhaps you're thinking of another 40-80 that does. It does however rotate to focus. I've edited my original post accordingly.