Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Standard lens for landscape: a comparison
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Standard lens for landscape: a comparison Reply with quote

Because I was still doubting what lens to take next summer for hikes / landscape photography, I did a little comparison.
Note: handheld shots. The Minolta AF 50/2.8 macro is connected through an adapted without aperture reading, which probably lead to some inaccuracies, especially at f/11. Aperture was probably around f/16 in reality with this lens, because diffraction kicked in. Upper images are center of the frame, lower pictures are far corner. Camera used: A7RII Sony.

First the two fastest lenses wide open:
Comparison1417 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Quite soft image and very low contrast of Nokton wide open, boat loads of purple fringing. Pentax shows a fair bit of detail in the center and some fringing.

Then f/2:
Comparisonf2 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Voigtlander still shows purple fringing, but center image of Pentax looks really good with lots of detail and contrast.
Corners of the Minolta MD 50/2 seem best to me.

F/2.8:
Comparisonf28 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Center performance of all lenses are quite equal. Both Minolta's have the best corners (probably the Macro has the edge, but by a very small margin).

f/4:
Comparisonf4 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Center image of Nokton best of the 4 IMO, Minolta's still the best corners by small margin.

f/5.6:
Comparisonf56 by devoscasper, on Flickr

All images look very good in the center. I think the 50/2 MD has the best corners.

f/8:
Comparisonf8 by devoscasper, on Flickr

All images look good. I think the Pentax has the weakest corners, but only by a small margin.

f/11:

Comparisonf11 by devoscasper, on Flickr

I think the Nokton has the best corners at this setting or maybe equal to the Minolta MD. The macro Minolta seems to perform somewhat weaker; probably aperture was closer to f/16 as explained above.

Conclusion:
Minolta MD 50/2 wins for me as a landscape/ hiking lens because of:
- small size/ low weight
- best corner performance at most apertures

The Voigtlander and Minolta AF 50/2.8 macro are much heavier than the Minolta MD. If one of them would show to be significantly better, I would consider bringing it. But this is not the case. I like the Pentax also a lot; the image is very good @f/2, despite the weaker corners.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Standard lens for landscape: a comparison Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Because I was still doubting what lens to take next summer for hikes / landscape photography, I did a little comparison.
Note: handheld shots. The Minolta AF 50/2.8 macro is connected through an adapted without aperture reading, which probably lead to some inaccuracies, especially at f/11. Aperture was probably around f/16 in reality with this lens, because diffraction kicked in. Upper images are center of the frame, lower pictures are far corner. Camera used: A7RII Sony.

First the two fastest lenses wide open:
Comparison1417 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Quite soft image and very low contrast of Nokton wide open, boat loads of purple fringing. Pentax shows a fair bit of detail in the center and some fringing.

You have a nice hobby!

Then f/2:
Comparisonf2 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Voigtlander still shows purple fringing, but center image of Pentax looks really good with lots of detail and contrast.
Corners of the Minolta MD 50/2 seem best to me.

F/2.8:
Comparisonf28 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Center performance of all lenses are quite equal. Both Minolta's have the best corners (probably the Macro has the edge, but by a very small margin).

f/4:
Comparisonf4 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Center image of Nokton best of the 4 IMO, Minolta's still the best corners by small margin.

f/5.6:
Comparisonf56 by devoscasper, on Flickr

All images look very good in the center. I think the 50/2 MD has the best corners.

f/8:
Comparisonf8 by devoscasper, on Flickr

All images look good. I think the Pentax has the weakest corners, but only by a small margin.

f/11:

Comparisonf11 by devoscasper, on Flickr

I think the Nokton has the best corners at this setting or maybe equal to the Minolta MD. The macro Minolta seems to perform somewhat weaker; probably aperture was closer to f/16 as explained above.

Conclusion:
Minolta MD 50/2 wins for me as a landscape/ hiking lens because of:
- small size/ low weight
- best corner performance at most apertures

The Voigtlander and Minolta AF 50/2.8 macro are much heavier than the Minolta MD. If one of them would show to be significantly better, I would consider bringing it. But this is not the case. I like the Pentax also a lot; the image is very good @f/2, despite the weaker corners.
Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite interesting. I am not surprised by the good performance of the Minolta MD 2/50. If you come to test a good copy of the MD 1,7/50 you could also be surprised.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to quote like that, repeating the entire string of images is absolutely un-necessary.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
Quite interesting. I am not surprised by the good performance of the Minolta MD 2/50. If you come to test a good copy of the MD 1,7/50 you could also be surprised.

Actually just bought a Konica Minolta AF 50/1.4 for a really good price, that should also be pretty excellent.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
Quite interesting. I am not surprised by the good performance of the Minolta MD 2/50.

Me neither. While its contrast at f2 is a bit low, it has a nice rendering (not unlike the Nikkor 2/50mm). Stopped down it has less CAs than the faster f1.4 and f1.2 Rokkors, and it has nearly no distortion (0.1% compared to >2% with many f1.4 normal lenses).

I guess you are talking about the MD-III, are you? The MD-I 2/50mm has a different optical computation and doesn't really convince me (same for the MC-X 2/50mm).

lumens pixel wrote:

If you come to test a good copy of the MD 1,7/50 you could also be surprised.

There are different computations of the MD 1.7/50mm. Sample variation shouldn't be an issue; I have tested a series of ten MD-III 1.7/50mm, and there were no visible differences (24 MP FF).

S

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD 50/2 from this test has 49mm filter, I guess that's a late computation.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
lumens pixel wrote:
Quite interesting. I am not surprised by the good performance of the Minolta MD 2/50.

Me neither. While its contrast at f2 is a bit low, it has a nice rendering (not unlike the Nikkor 2/50mm). Stopped down it has less CAs than the faster f1.4 and f1.2 Rokkors, and it has nearly no distortion (0.1% compared to >2% with many f1.4 normal lenses).

I guess you are talking about the MD-III, are you? The MD-I 2/50mm has a different optical computation and doesn't really convince me (same for the MC-X 2/50mm).

lumens pixel wrote:

If you come to test a good copy of the MD 1,7/50 you could also be surprised.

There are different computations of the MD 1.7/50mm. Sample variation shouldn't be an issue; I have tested a series of ten MD-III 1.7/50mm, and there were no visible differences (24 MP FF).

S

The 1,4 50 is excellent and the 1,7 is maybe half a stop behind sharpnesswise. Evenness of the frame is better on the 1,7 and bokeh is nice in both cases.

The mdiii 2,0/50 is maybe closer to the 1,4 in terms of sharpness wide open but is busier bokehwise and colours are somewhat duller than 1,7 and 1,4. Steve's remarks about lack of distortion and CA are true.

All these lenses are quite interesting with different strengths at a very high level. For hiking I tend to grasp the lighter and cheaper.

My copy of the 1,7 is a mdii with 49mm filter. Do not know if it is the last computation.