Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Stand Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Stand Development Reply with quote

This has sparked my interest. Anyone got any info on how to stand develope film?

Why is it always done with Rodinal?

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've seen it on digital truth dev chart, her's a quick way of doing seen on another site

Method : highly diluated Rodinal / Foma R09 new 1/100 or 1/200
5ml per film. Agitate 30 sec at the beginning, then let as is, or agitate lightly at mid dev. 1 hour for a normal iso setting at 1/100 dilution.
90 minutes for 1 stop push and 120 for 2 stop push. 120minutes at 1/200

It seems that this method gives higher contrast, never tried it though.
Check flickr site i think they talk about this dev.

flickr link

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds interesting Martin, I never heard of it before. I'm going to keep my eye on this thread.

But first you need to load the film on the spool. Did you see the picture I made for you? Scroll to the bottom of the page:
http://forum.mflenses.com/pita-loading-film-onto-spool-t20221.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a good idea to keep the tank in a larger bowl/bucket/whatnot of water to keep the same temperature, this becomes important if the ambient temperature is much more different than the bath as temperature gradients might develop [pun intended] inside the tank which leads to uneven developer activity.

I had one important roll of Ilford Delta 400 ruined this way, one third of the negative was underdeveloped (and everything was generally mushy).

One of the more salvageable shots (note, this was 6x6 medium format and a T-grain film, this won't be such an issue with 35mm film and should/might also be less of an issue with a film with a classical grain structure).

No, that's not steam from the field kitchen. One that was completely ruined.

But generally speaking, don't be discouraged if one roll turns out bad, I've had good success with (semi-)stand development. At the very least it makes your bottle of Rodinal last forever Wink

PS something else might have contributed to my poor result in that case, but uneven temp for the developer bath was certainly a major factor.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen lots of stunning B&W shots using Rodinal and stand developing:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3598/3764645523_b5e4a488ce.jpg

This is one of many. There's an Australian on NikonCafe that does
excellent work using this method.