Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spring with Canon CL 4/250mm CAT
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Spring with Canon CL 4/250mm CAT Reply with quote

Spring has arrived here....

Full set is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157706849937545

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you have adapted your CL 250mm and are using it in the current springlike weather. For the purpose of evaluating lens performance knowing which camera or at least sensor size was used may be practical, m4/3 I guess?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Nice to see you have adapted your CL 250mm and are using it in the current springlike weather. For the purpose of evaluating lens performance knowing which camera or at least sensor size was used may be practical, m4/3 I guess?

my Panasonic GH4 was in use (mft)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. CL is from one of those huge pro video cameras, right? I thought though that the image circle on those was small even for m43.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Very nice. CL is from one of those huge pro video cameras, right? I thought though that the image circle on those was small even for m43.

yes, from Canon LX-1/2 Hi8 Video Cam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:

When you look at the photos on Klaus's Flickr site you'll see that focussing close to infinity results in a say non-standard image rendition. The image circle itself is quite large for this specific telephoto lens though, I can use it on a full frame camera even. The other lenses from this CL or VL series are more challenging with their electronic apertures ( IIRC they close when unpowered) and much smaller image circles.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick example, I still haven't made a proper adapter:

Taken with my Sony A7 full frame camera at f/4 - the lens has built-in ND filters for aperture simulation up to f/32.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring begins March 21. Those are mid-Winter flowers because March 21 is still some weeks from now.

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Spring begins March 21. Those are mid-Winter flowers because March 21 is still some weeks from now.

Like 1 Like 1

In the Netherlands temperatures hit 19 degrees Celsius today, unseasonally warm. I assume it is similar in Germany. So whether spring starts on March 21 or March 1(for meteorologists), being able to leave the house without a coat is a radical change and a rather pleasant one when testing lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring with Canon CL 4/250mm CAT Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Grumble grumble grumble grumble. At least 2 more months to go here.

Interesting looking lens, You can switch between f4 and f8?
https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-cl-250mm-f-4-reflex-af-vl-mount-lens.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring with Canon CL 4/250mm CAT Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Grumble grumble grumble grumble. At least 2 more months to go here.

https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-cl-250mm-f-4-reflex-af-vl-mount-lens.html

Yep, has a built in filter wheel with ND filters...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring with Canon CL 4/250mm CAT Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

The aperture ring has 4 settings, f/4 , f/8, f/16 and f/32. These settings connect to an internal filter wheel. At f/4 there is either no filter or a clear filter, I can't quite tell, at f/8 there is an ND2 filter, at f/16 an ND4 and at f/32 also an ND4 but with a reduced diameter. So at f/32 you should different rings, I haven't tried that yet though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Spring with Canon CL 4/250mm CAT Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

The aperture ring has 4 settings, f/4 , f/8, f/16 and f/32. These settings connect to an internal filter wheel. At f/4 there is either no filter or a clear filter, I can't quite tell, at f/8 there is an ND2 filter, at f/16 an ND4 and at f/32 also an ND4 but with a reduced diameter. So at f/32 you should different rings, I haven't tried that yet though.

I'm pretty sure the f4 has a clear glass as it is part of the optical calculation...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent portrait...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! I have never heard of this lens. Cool! Lovely photos. Great shot of the kitty, haha! What was the CL mount intended for? Is that a video mount?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots.
Infinity shots?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

Cat by CAT by "cat". Lol!

Edit: That's cat cubed. Shrodinger again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
Whoa! I have never heard of this lens. Cool! Lovely photos. Great shot of the kitty, haha! What was the CL mount intended for? Is that a video mount?

It's actually VL mount.

https://global.canon/en/c-museum/history/story07.html
Quote:
Steady Refinement of Video Camcorder Technology

“LX-1,” accommodating EF-series interchangeable lenses for EOS

In 1989, Canon released the “Canovision 8 A1″ a new 8mm video standard, “Hi-8 format” camcorder that incorporated stereo sound. In 1990, the “UC-10,” the smallest and lightest video camcorder in the world at the time was marketed. Finally in 1991, Canon released the “LX-1,” an 8mm video camcorder with interchangeable lenses, which was hailed as the product most deserving of the Canon’s name. With the VL lens-mount standard, the “LX-1″ made it possible to use interchangeable lens. Under the VL mount system, the lens data is transmitted to camera through the interchangeable lens with a built-in microcomputer and based on that information; the camera in turn sends a control command to the lens. The VL lens-mount system was standardized by Canon in cooperation with four other companies, however, Canon was the only company that actually marketed a camcorder using the system. The “LX-1″ could use both the exclusive interchangeable lens and EF lenses designed for the EOS cameras. It was quite popular, especially in the United States.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some "crazy" bokeh shots...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Very nice shots.
Infinity shots?

sure, but not that great me thinks...(as image circle is the smallest then)

shot on a dull and gray day...