Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soviet Mir-20 Automat 20mm/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Soviet Mir-20 Automat 20mm/3.5 Reply with quote

Hello!

Here are some photos made with Mir-20 automat version on A7.
Arsenal started production of Mir-20 in 1977, so I believe it's an early one (see the sn in last image). KMZ started production in 1972 or 1973, I don't remember.

And the lens itself

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All are excellent and I like the macros very much. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love number 9!
a perfect flare. Smile
looks like a gem on A7.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great set, how did you adapt it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah nice lens, lovely photos!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! Smile

Aanything wrote:
Great set, how did you adapt it?

It was not easy.
There is a solution on the net using 3d printed ring(that allows diaphragm control) and Fd to nex adapter (naturely this lens only fit on mirrorless).

The 3d thing fit well on the lens, but it doesn't fit on Fd adapter (whereas it should be).
So I had to finish the adapter myself, not easy because the focal flange is very short.
I decided to convert the 3d thing to M42. I thought about Kp A/42, but it was too thick. So I bought for almost nothing a noname Japanese 135mm ans used his M42 mount. I trimed it to get infini. To adjust it, I'm using a flat helicoidal on flat M42 to nex adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens sure seems to be a great example of a 20mm. I just checked on eBay. Most are listed as having a "Kiev 10, 15" mount. Is this mount unique to Kiev? I see also a some in M42 mount. The seller for one mentions it was converted to M42 and that an unflanged adapter must be used, such as the one for NEX, because it has an aperture lever instead of a pin.

Prices are very reasonable for a 20mm. As long as the aperture can be set manually, I don't think that it having a lever instead of a pin is any big deal if one is adapting it for use on a digital camera -- such as a NEX. But I see at least one other that has the aperture pin.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the Contax RF mount and nothing else. There are ready made adapters available e.g. to Leica M but they are awful expensive.
That is also the reason why the lenses with this Contax aka Kiev RF mount are rather cheap compared to the same lenses in e.g. M39/LTM mount.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
That's the Contax RF mount and nothing else. There are ready made adapters available e.g. to Leica M but they are awful expensive.
That is also the reason why the lenses with this Contax aka Kiev RF mount are rather cheap compared to the same lenses in e.g. M39/LTM mount.

it's not a standard contax rf mount.
It's not even a rangefinder mount at all.
The kiev automat lenses were made for a line of soviet SLR's (I know the kiev 10 and 15) with a kind of shutter priority mode.
They have their own bayonet mount and, afaik, they're not easy to adapt as the aperture was controlled from the body - so no aperture ring.

Last edited by Aanything on Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

No, it's not kiev/contax mount, it's Kiev-10 or Kiev-15 mount.

Here is a Kiev/contax mount :

https://pp.vk.me/c618225/v618225486/6b45/Rh_b4xXzKqA.jpg

Here is a Kiev-10/15 mount :

https://pp.vk.me/c618225/v618225486/6af4/fcySDik3_nM.jpg

This Mir-20 automat is for Kiev-10/15.

The problem in the adaptation is the lever for diaphragm. It's an intern lever since the Kiev-10 or 15 was an automatic lens (that's why lenses are named "automat". So, there isn't any apperture ring on the lens. So, you have 2 solutions :

Convert the lens destroying the mount, and add kind of outer lever in order to control the diaphrag

Do an adapter which allow diaphragm controle.

The first one is "easier", but I'm not a lens destroyer, especialy when it's rare version or early. That's why I decided to make this adapter, that will allow me to mount every automat lens without any problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:

Oops, thank's for the information. I didn't know up to now that Kiev SLR cameras did even exist. Confused

OK, now it's clear Kiev RF equals Contax RF.
Kiev SLR equals anything else or is it unique?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
BurstMox wrote:

Oops, thank's for the information. I didn't know up to now that Kiev SLR cameras did even exist. Confused

Be carefull with "Kiev SLR", Arsenal did 2 SLR 24x36 the Kiev-10 / 15 with "automat" mount, and also Kiev-18 / 19 / 20 with Nikon mount.

Kiev-10 and 15 is unique, it was the first camera (1964) to use metal "Hand fan" shutter (sorry, I don't know the name in english).

(photo source : photohistory.ru)

Kiev 18 /19 /20 was a soviet Nikon (maybe F? I don't know Nikon at all)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
tb_a wrote:
BurstMox wrote:

Be carefull with "Kiev SLR", Arsenal did 2 SLR 24x36 the Kiev-10 / 15 with "automat" mount, and also Kiev-18 / 19 / 20 with Nikon mount.

Luckily I've never intended to buy such a lens. Smile
After I've seen the prices for Kiev RF lens adapters Kiev was dead for me anyway.
I've just mixed it up with those other types you are mentioning now.

Finally, the Kiev 10/15 "automat" mount is obviously unique, if I understood you right.
Nikon mount is quite OK for the adaption to other cameras nowadays, so Kiev 18-20 should be covered.
Did I get it now? Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very nice set of pictures, when a good user meets a good lens : )
So sharp and clean. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-3-5-MIR-20-lens-without-mount-/391161203596?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b13064b8c

Cheap and not all that hard to adapt. You can use a DKL adapter and modify it to control the aperture; DKL adapters have an aperture ring.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-3-5-MIR-20-lens-without-mount-/391161203596?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b13064b8c

Cheap and not all that hard to adapt. You can use a DKL adapter and modify it to control the aperture; DKL adapters have an aperture ring.

say whaaaat?
Would you be able to get/improvise a mount for Canon EOS? I really like that lens and have been looking for a good wide angle for not wallet-breaking price...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for a Tokina AF 3.5-4.5/20-35. I paid 50 bucks for mine. Liked it so much I bought a second one in Sony/Minolta mount.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mir-20 is also available in some other mounts. Presently there is a offer for a M42 version for around 100 Euro. With a little bit of luck you might get also a Nikon lens for a comparable price. Ultra wide angles have been always more expensive as they haven't been produced in such masses like e.g. "normal" lenses. That's a matter of fact.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it similar to the MIR-10A with the interchangeable mount? I have the 10A, got a KP/AN mount and I have lots of fun with it on my Nikon cameras too.
Are there any other soviet lenses with such mounts?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I believe diameter of DKL mount is to little compared to automat. I think it will be harder than doing something from scratch. I use DKL mount to use my Ц mount lenses (like Vega-3), those lenses are tiny compared to Automat lenses. Also diaphragm control systeme is a bit different. Automat looks like FD mount system.

Quote:
Is it similar to the MIR-10A with the interchangeable mount? I have the 10A, got a KP/AN mount and I have lots of fun with it on my Nikon cameras too.
Are there any other soviet lenses with such mounts?

Mir-20 doesn't exist with A mount. The M42 version is pure M42 (Mir-20M) with semi-automatic aperture control.
But there is a lot of lens with A mount, some more rare (Mir-1A, Jupiter-21A) than other (Jupiter-37A, Jupiter-11A...)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mir-1B Automat and never compared the size of the mount to a DKL, but you might be right. Smile