Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony's new 'Digital Filter' app
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Sony's new 'Digital Filter' app Reply with quote

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-000018

"Digital Filter allows you to divide the scene into two or three areas and optimize the exposure and white balance for each area, helping you to shoot the best image. This application is perfect for scenes containing vastly different brightness levels, such as in backlit landscape scenes. These above features enable you to enjoy the same wide dynamic range and expressive rendition as if using a graduated ND filter or reverse graduated ND filter.
Moreover, this application can be used for those fleeting, beautiful magic hour and blue moment shots immediately before and after sunrise or sunset.

The Digital Filter application offers functionality, ease of use and image quality that go beyond the features of Sky HDR.
Digital Filter is offered at a special price for the customers who already have Sky HDR."

As with the Sky HDR app, this new app can save your creations in RAW, which is nice.
I have Sky HDR so I got the 'special price' offer, which was 18 quid. It sounds a lot for an app but it's a lot cheaper than buying physical filters.
My reason for buying this app is for those occasions when I don't want to carry my filters around with me. I have 6 filters in my camera bag, sometimes I want to leave the bag in the car, especially if I'm taking a long walk.
I'm sure this app won't be useful for everyone but I think it'll be helpful for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very useful indeed. I wonder if it works in all the camera settings though? When using old MF lenses I set my A6000 to 'S' Shutter Priority, choose the aperture on the lens and then set the shutter speed using the live view and histogram display - judging what I can hand hold or not.

In S or A or M some of the camera functions are not available, and a quick look at the instructions doesn't make it clear if this filter app would work in all settings.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
That looks very useful indeed. I wonder if it works in all the camera settings though? When using old MF lenses I set my A6000 to 'S' Shutter Priority, choose the aperture on the lens and then set the shutter speed using the live view and histogram display - judging what I can hand hold or not.

In S or A or M some of the camera functions are not available, and a quick look at the instructions doesn't make it clear if this filter app would work in all settings.

I think that with all these apps we lose some functionality no matter the mode we put the camera in. I mostly use aperture priority mode and adjust the ISO to get the shutter speed I need. I don't often find the app limitations getting in my way, in fact I can't think of any right now.
I'll test this app in different modes to see if there are any issues.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very useful indeed!! A common problem when shooting landscapes with the sun in the picture.

But... i never have used any apps at all for my A7, just A-mode and ISO adjust. Whenever i think or feel i should dive into the software that came with it, i feel it's too complicated, too much of a hassle to learn it correctly and then i just delete the "Playmemories" software again. Because if i don't it opens up everytime i put a SD card or even a card reader or CD in my laptop.... very annoying...

I love things simple, even though sometimes i see very nice add-ons, like this one!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
and then i just delete the "Playmemories" software again. Because if i don't it opens up everytime i put a SD card or even a card reader or CD in my laptop.... very annoying...

That's strange, it never opens on mine when I pop in an SD card. There's probably an option in the settings which you need to turn off, so it only opens if you want it to.