Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony NEX-5N & Electronic First Curtain shutter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Sony NEX-5N & Electronic First Curtain shutter Reply with quote

I wonder: does Electronic First Curtain shutter gives you possibility to use extreme short flange lenses (around 5mm) like X-Ray for instance?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shutter has nothing to do with the register length of a camera. So in short: NO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
A shutter has nothing to do with the register length of a camera. So in short: NO

I know. But nothing there to obstruct getting lens very close to the sensor?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found explanation of this:

New to the NEX series (and shared with the NEX-7) is the addition of an electronic first curtain shutter. By default, electronic first-curtain shutter is turned on, but can be deactivated via the 'front curtain shutter' option in the 5N's setup menu. Sony claims a reduced shutter lag time of 20ms by eliminating the need to close then open the shutter before exposing the image. Although the perceptual difference isn't massive, in side-by-side comparisons the NEX-5N with electronic first curtain shutter turned on is indeed appreciably more responsive than the NEX-5. The use of electronic first curtain shutter also marginally increases the frame rate when shooting in continuous mode (which we cover in more detail on the performance page).

An electronic shutter also has the potential benefit of eliminating any vibration that might be caused by the first shutter actuation, which may be useful in macro photography or extreme telephoto photography (although shutter-induced vibration problems aren't a huge problem for most mirrorless cameras). http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex5n/page10.asp

and:

According to bullet proof sources the A77 will have a very short release time lag thanks to a sort of “electronic first shutter curtain“. Michael Covington’s website explains what it is. The electornic first shutter curtain begins the exposure electronically with zero vibration: “In fact, as I understand it, the “electronic first shutter curtain” is a virtual moving edge just like the real shutter curtain, so you can use it even with short exposures. Columns of the sensor are turned on one by one just as if the real curtain were exposing them. Because a CMOS sensor can’t turn off as quickly as it turns on, the real shutter curtain is used to end the exposure.”
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-a77-has-a-mysterious-electronic-first-shutter-curtain/