Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony nex-3 as 2nd camera or upgrade to 550d?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Sony nex-3 as 2nd camera or upgrade to 550d? Reply with quote

Hi,

i'm facing a dilema right now and need your help, especially from the nex owners.

I currently have a canon 400d, 4 AF lenses and several MF lenses from various mounts. I have a small budget to spend that i can use on 2 alternatives:

- Sony NEX-3 + 16mm and keep 400d

- 550d and sell 400d

I believe both options will be similar in terms of cash, but will give very different options:

- sony will be able to mount more MF lenses, including small ones - but i don't have any and don't how easy it is to manual focus without the viewfinder (opinions?)
- sony is very small and will probably have more use due to being easier to carry, but on the other hand the only AF lens will be the fixed 16mm
- canon will be an upgrade, better high iso, better AF and hd video - all using my current gear - i can't loose. But it's still a bigger camera that i sometimes don't want to carry around.

Opinions? I'm interested in "real life" use of the nex with MF lenses (parties, kids, outdoor use).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 1 : buy a cheap NEX
Step 2 : spend thousands of bucks in these "wow, fun lens to adapt on the NEX that I could not use on the Canon!"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

of course i can't afford leica lenses (for example), i would (try to) buy cheap cctv lenses. For now, i'd only buy the eos-nex adapter to use the current lenses (assuming manual focus is simple).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh get the Nex! The 550D has great high ISO capability, but so does the Nex! And it fits in your pocket Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already have a 40D.. why buy pretty much the same thing?

you'll have a lot more fun with the NEX, it'll be the camera you carry around everywhere and a lot of MF glass that won't work on the 40D will now work on the NEX due to it's mirrorless design.