Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

sony a7ii with canon 100-400L
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: sony a7ii with canon 100-400L Reply with quote

I have a canon 100-400 L zoom lens and am planning to get a sony alpha 7ii to use when I go to Africa next fall. Anyone have experience with this combination? Recommendations for adapters. Issues?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any comments, but I do have a question. Have you found an adapter for your a7ii that will allow you to control the aperture on this EF 100-400 L lens? That's something I've wondered about when it comes to adapting an EF lens to a NEX or alpha mirrorless.

I have an adapter to go from EF to NEX, but I've only used mine for a Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror lens I have in this mount, which has no levers or electrical contacts with the camera. But it seems like you'd need an adapter that has, not only electrical contacts so the lens can communicate with the alpha 7, but some sort of interpretive routine that will translate "Canon lens speak" to "Sony alpha body speak" if you will. Does such an adapter exist? Or is the adapter such that it allows you to set the iris opening from the adapter itself, so you can just shoot in A mode?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Does such an adapter exist?

Of course such adapters exist but they're quite expensive. Keyword is Metabones. There are also others, cheaper but with not so good reputation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will work with electrical adapter but the AF will be very slow and sometimes may miss. A Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G with LEA-EA4 with be much better choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for enlightening my ignorance, guys. But I'm guessing that jamaeolus was equally uninformed.

Couple of comments/questions, though. I was only aware of the Metabones focal reducer and wasn't aware that they made a straight adapter/converter. But I just visited their website and I see now that Metabones makes a "Smart Adapter IV" for EF to E mount, and that it is compatible with both the a7-series and the EF 100-400 L. However, Metabones does state that AF is very slow and unfit for pro work. But I guess jamaeolus can always manual focus if he wants to go this route.

And Calvin, I'm sure that a Sony lens will work better with the a7, but jamaeolus did mention that he already owns the Canon 100-400 L and is planning to buy the a7ii. So I was working with the assumption that he'd want to find a way to use the lens he already has, namely the EF 100-400 with the a7 that he plans to buy.

But I am sort of inclined to agree with you, though. A photo safari to Africa is possibly a once-in-a-lifetime experience and, if it were me, I'd want to have an outfit that functions as flawlessly as possible so I wouldn't miss any shots. And in that respect, I'm thinking that it might be better if jamaeolus sets aside the 100-400L to use with his Canon gear and go ahead and pick up the Sony 70-400 along with the A7ii. A pricey lens, though -- costs about the same as the camera does. Renting it might be a possibility, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
A photo safari to Africa is possibly a once-in-a-lifetime experience and, if it were me, I'd want to have an outfit that functions as flawlessly as possible so I wouldn't miss any shots. And in that respect, I'm thinking that it might be better if jamaeolus sets aside the 100-400L to use with his Canon gear and go ahead and pick up the Sony 70-400 along with the A7ii. A pricey lens, though -- costs about the same as the camera does. Renting it might be a possibility, though.

I see it exactly like you! To rent such a lens would be a valid alternative if the purchase is over budget.
Furthermore I would prefer the use of a real SLR such as my Sony A850 or similar for such an adventure, but that's only my personal preference. So maybe the use of a Canon camera is still the better option as the gear should be as familiar as possible under such circumstances in order not to miss anything due to lack of experience with a new camera where you have to think twice how to activate this or that function. I am talking here from my own experience. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This adapter allows you to control the aperture:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS-EF-Lens-to-Sony-NEX-E-Mount-Adapter-Alpha-A5000-7R-A3000-A7-A7R-A6000-/291126183193?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43c8790519

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
A photo safari to Africa is possibly a once-in-a-lifetime experience and, if it were me, I'd want to have an outfit that functions as flawlessly as possible so I wouldn't miss any shots. And in that respect, I'm thinking that it might be better if jamaeolus sets aside the 100-400L to use with his Canon gear and go ahead and pick up the Sony 70-400 along with the A7ii. A pricey lens, though -- costs about the same as the camera does. Renting it might be a possibility, though.

I see it exactly like you! To rent such a lens would be a valid alternative if the purchase is over budget.
Furthermore I would prefer the use of a real SLR such as my Sony A850 or similar for such an adventure, but that's only my personal preference. So maybe the use of a Canon camera is still the better option as the gear should be as familiar as possible under such circumstances in order not to miss anything due to lack of experience with a new camera where you have to think twice how to activate this or that function. I am talking here from my own experience. Wink

Yes, definitely a better idea. Rent an EOS 5D Mk III and be done with it. Cool

Oh, and dude! You are definitely gonna want to take a really nice wide angle lens with you. Maybe a zoom. At least a 24mm for FF. A 17mm or 18mm would be even better. I've never been to Africa, but I can picture in my mind sweeping views of the mountains and open savanna. Ultra wides would be perfect for showing this wide-open quality. And something fast for dusk, although if you're doing sunsets, you don't really need a fast lens for that.

Doncha just love how we're figuring out how you should spend your money? Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! Yes I do already have the 100-400 which works reasonably well with my 60d. However I was planning to stretch the budget a bit for an image stabilized full frame mirrorless. I had planned to wait to purchase the a7ii but this trip seems a great opportunity to try one out. I love the old manual lenses and am intrigued with the stop or two extra capability the IS. Of course some situatins are better dealt with via AF. I had already considered the rental option but wanted feedback as to just how "slow" slow is. I really like the IQ of the lens when it's focused well. I usually manually focus with screen at 10x if possible. The AF frequently misses. Probably my faulty technique or set up. Tough decisions ahead!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
This adapter allows you to control the aperture:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS-EF-Lens-to-Sony-NEX-E-Mount-Adapter-Alpha-A5000-7R-A3000-A7-A7R-A6000-/291126183193?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43c8790519

well it will let you control the amount of vigneting.. not really the aperture Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this will help.

Review: Fotodiox Pro EF-NEX Auto Adapter
http://timfordphoto.com/review-fotodiox-pro-ef-nex-auto-adapter/

Initial Review of the Metabones Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Mark IV Smart Adapter
https://megapixeltraveler.wordpress.com/2014/10/08/initial-review-of-the-metabones-canon-ef-lens-to-sony-nex-mark-iv-smart-adapter/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: sony a7ii with canon 100-400L Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I have a canon 100-400 L zoom lens and am planning to get a sony alpha 7ii to use when I go to Africa next fall. Anyone have experience with this combination? Recommendations for adapters. Issues?

Personally if I was going to switch to Sony from Canon I would sell the 100-400 and for the same money get a Tamron 150-600 for Sony. Much better than the Sony glass and even better than the 100-400. More reach and sweet lens. My tamzooka is my favorite lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Thanks all! Yes I do already have the 100-400 which works reasonably well with my 60d. However I was planning to stretch the budget a bit for an image stabilized full frame mirrorless. I had planned to wait to purchase the a7ii but this trip seems a great opportunity to try one out. I love the old manual lenses and am intrigued with the stop or two extra capability the IS. Of course some situatins are better dealt with via AF. I had already considered the rental option but wanted feedback as to just how "slow" slow is. I really like the IQ of the lens when it's focused well. I usually manually focus with screen at 10x if possible. The AF frequently misses. Probably my faulty technique or set up. Tough decisions ahead!

Hello Jamaeolus.
I would keep the 60D and 100-400 L for long distance shots. Advantage : the x1.6 factor of the sensor and you are comfortable with your Equipment knowing it well. I think it's important for you to be at ease during this exceptional occasion.
I would buy the A7II and use it for closer and evening or early morning shooting, equipped with good MF lenses.
Have a nice trip in Africa.